Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 08:26 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Since I've been here last 5 years, SWFL truly has only 2 to 2.5 decent months of weather which are December to mid-February. All the rest are mid-80s to low 90s. April is 90's. However, I remember a recent xmas here in the low 90s.
To be fair there is relief sometimes with afternoon showers bringing temps temporarily down to 70s for a few hours. Overall, I thought Nov. to March would be pleasant but that has never consistently been the case. I miss my former state's 3-4 months lows in the 50s and 60s each year. The c.o.l., constant traffic, no-brain politicians, and homelessness pushed me away.
After 5 years you must not have acclimated much, which is surprising. When I first moved down in 2015 80’s felt hot but after all the years and countless hours I’ve spent outside hiking, swimming, tanning, etc I’ve acclimated perfectly. I would say we have 9.5-10 months of perfect weather with late July-mid September being a little on the humid side, but even then it makes my early dusk and dawn swims in the warm Gulf very comfortable when I get out of the 87 degree water. I think people who complain about the heat don’t give their bodies a chance to accumulate because they spend too much times indoors being inactive under artificial lighting and man made AC.

Even at this moment I’m sitting outside on the lanai, already was swimming in the Gulf this morning for an hour, and this afternoon I’ll take a siesta from the mid day heat only to be back in the afternoon/evening for another soak in the Gulf. There’s a nice breeze today from probably the hurricane, warm temps, palm trees and sunshine, aka paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 11:16 AM

416 posts, read 408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Mental health is such an under reported issue in this country.
LOL. What the heck did I just read. You’re not kidding about under reporting

Old 09-03-2019, 10:54 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I'm counting down the days till our first cool front. I love having the windows open and a nice breeze coming in. Only another month or two or three...…. :-)

Old 10-21-2019, 01:51 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Yes too hot! I wish I could throat punch the hot weather if it were at all possible. I want the cool weather now, not next month. I'm tired of waiting for nothing.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:52 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
I love summer and hot weather. It's been getting cooler in the mornings too. I dread when I have to wear a hoodie sweater of wien it gets too cold for shorts.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:52 AM

I'm always surprised when people say they love hot weather. What's to love about sweating the minute you walk out your door with this high humidity? I dropped off my car to my mechanic this morning at 8:15 a.m. and since it is only 1.5 miles away, I walked back to my house. It was 81 degrees but the humidity was 91%! And this is almost the end of October. Every year around this time I start thinking about moving further north, like Tallahassee. Yes, they are hot & humid in the summer also but their summer doesn't last as long and they have four seasons.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:16 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
I tell everyone that doubts just how hot it is here to move down here because unless you live here every day you cannot appreciate the level of heat intensity here. For 8-9 consecutive months it is relentless, meaning there is no break from it.
Before I moved here I visited every year for 7-10 days. I came in May, June, July and August which were the only times I could swing it. I thought I had the heat figured out and how best to deal with it. What I could not account for was the never ending heat and humidity. It’s one thing to spend a lot of time in the pool or AC when you’re on vacation, but living here is quite a different story.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:04 AM

^^This^^ Many people don't understand this. Coming down here for vacation, especially if you are visiting during a cold month where you are from, is nothing like living here 24/7. When you're on vacation you are probably seeing the best side of a place, you're at the beach, in the pool and you're probably thinking how great it would be to live here. Perhaps it would be if you were retired, could afford a home with a pool and you bought a boat but for working people it is no paradise unless you can deal with heat & very high humidity from May-November. Today is October 27th and right now at 9 a.m. it is 79 degrees with 90% humidity and the only reason it isn't warmer is because it's pretty cloudy.

My husband and I visited friends in NC back in 1989. They lived in a small, quaint little town. We decided it would be a perfect place to raise our kids who were 2 & 4 at the time. We moved there and soon discovered that this small town had nothing to offer, especially for kids. No movie theatre, no skating rink, no local shopping. The only thing it had was a small library, a McDonald's, a Burger King and a Piggly Wiggly. The schools were the worst in the nation and the pay was even worse than Florida was at the time. The national past time was gossiping, especially about the damn Yankees (we were originally from New York).

We wound up staying 9 years in different towns but eventually moved back to SW Florida only because that is where all my family was now living. I tolerate the things I hate because I'm getting older and am now a widow so I want family near me but if I could do it all over I would definitely have moved further north.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:26 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
After 5 years you must not have acclimated much, which is surprising.
Not at all. People come to Florida all the time and leave due to humidity, hurricanes and/or work. it ranks in the top 3 of moving into and moving out.

Quote:
I would say we have 9.5-10 months of perfect weather with late July-mid September being a little on the humid side,
C'mon, I actually play an outdoor sport and the guys I play with been here 20+ years some longer (Florida born) and say May through Sept. are very difficult due to humidity. They say you never get used to it. This is why people leave so much either temporarily or for good.

Quote:
I think people who complain about the heat don’t give their bodies a chance to accumulate because they spend too much times indoors being inactive under artificial lighting and man made AC.
I don't like AC and my job and a majority of people is not working outdoors. Tons of forums and even climatologists agree that Florida is more humid. Not really a complaint as it is a fact. There's big debates about which large city is more humid in the summer Houston or Tampa, throw in SW Florida too.

Quote:
Even at this moment I’m sitting outside on the lanai, already was swimming in the Gulf this morning for an hour, and this afternoon I’ll take a siesta from the mid day heat only to be back in the afternoon/evening for another soak in the Gulf. There’s a nice breeze today from probably the hurricane, warm temps, palm trees and sunshine, aka paradise.
To each his own. Some like dry heat in the 80s and 90s (me), some like the same temps in humid tropical climates.
I don't complain only. I have said Florida is very, very beautiful which pulls me back. So many places I go to (Orlando, Melbourne, Sarasota, Ocala and South Florida have smooth roads, greenery, and wildlife. The state operates very well from what I was used to elsewhere.

Last edited by frankrj; 01-15-2020 at 07:06 AM..

Old 01-15-2020, 01:26 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Not at all. People come to Florida all the time and leave due to humidity, hurricanes and/or work. it ranks in the top 3 of moving into and moving out.

C'mon, I actually play an outdoor sport and the guys I play with been here 20+ years some longer (Florida born) and say May through Sept. are very difficult due to humidity. They say you never get used to it. This is why people leave so much either temporarily or for good.

I don't like AC and my job and a majority of people is not working outdoors. Tons of forums and even climatologists agree that Florida is more humid. Not really a complaint as it is a fact. There's big debates about which large city is more humid in the summer Houston or Tampa, throw in SW Florida too.

To each his own. Some like dry heat in the 80s and 90s (me), some like the same temps in humid tropical climates.
I don't complain only. I have said Florida is very, very beautiful which pulls me back. So many places I go to (Orlando, Melbourne, Sarasota, Ocala and South Florida have smooth roads, greenery, and wildlife. The state operates very well from what I was used to elsewhere.
I have to say I’ve been swimming the in the 70 degree gulf every morning lately and I’m starting to embrace the cooler water. In fact, it’s not cold enough for me now that I’m getting use to it. I’m actually now just realizing the amazing health benefits of cold water which we don’t have, we don’t even get cold showers.

I agree with everything you have said and there is so much beauty here which makes it hard to leave, not that there’s not beauty elsewhere but having a strong tropical sun pretty much throughout the year really elevates the mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area