Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 16,645 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I've previously asked the Dallas forum for feedback on this issue; and as I've heard the two metro areas can be very different, I'm hoping for some perspective from those of you in the Fort Worth area as well.

I'm a single, 25-year-old male who will be relocating to the DFW area from Louisiana for work. My work will involve periodically travelling to area high schools for college recruiting, many of which are located in the northern part of Dallas (Highland Park through Plano) and also in the southwest part of Fort Worth.

When I'm not on the road, I'll be working from home, so I'd like to find an attractive, affordable area to live with a manageable commute. I'm looking to rent and would like to stay under $750 a month (apartment/duplex). I'd like an area with other young professionals and singles, safe, clean, with a decent amount of local activities or accessibility to such, and perhaps accessible to good high schools so I could expand my recruiting base. Feel free to DM me with any apartment suggestions.

Geographically speaking, it seems like it would make sense to live somewhere in between; but let me know areas that, all things considered, you might recommend. I'll consider either suburbs or city proper.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Las Colinas

Old 07-23-2010, 04:55 PM

Ok thanks. I've heard Las Colinas mentioned before, so I'll definitely check it out.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:12 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpat View Post
Ok thanks. I've heard Las Colinas mentioned before, so I'll definitely check it out.
Not sure you can get much in LC for the $750 but it might be possible for a nice 1 bedroom. LC is a great location and you can get anywhere in just minutes.

Side note: There are several complexs that are predomately Indian / Asian. If you have any food allergies or have problems with strong cooking smells I would be aware and choose a unit wisely. Those cooking odors coming at you from several sides can be overwhelming to many people who are not use to it.

But being a Cajun, you may have them complaining about your cooking smells.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,632 times
Arlington is probably one of the most affordable places in DFW and it is smack-dab in the middle. There is lots to do with Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Rangers Baseball, Cowboys football, shopping, golf etc.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 PM

211 posts, read 495,170 times
Of course, I'm partial to FW, so I would suggest the downtown or 7th St. area....lots of fun things for young professionals..not so sure about prices, but worth checking. It's about a 20 min. drive to the popular schools in SW Fort Worth, about 45 min. to Highland Park, and then another ?? to Plano....I have no idea, since I've never been there. Call me provincial....

Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,666 times
With a potential commute area of both N. Dallas/Plano and SW Fort Worth, it's going to be long, pretty much no matter what.

We lived in S. Arlington, I commuted to Las Colinas, and while long, traffic wasn't that bad. I didn't hit the road 'till about 8, however, working from 9-7 or 8.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Thanks for your responses. I'm going to start out with a place I found around the Las Colinas area, but if I'm looking to move when my lease is up, I will keep Arlington in mind.

So now I have another issue related to my upcoming move. This will be my first time having a choice of utility provider. I'm familiar with the Power to Choose website, so that'll be a big help. Do people tend to go with a fixed contract or the variable rates? I've read a few posts which suggest avoiding a long-term contract during the summer or winter, when rates are the highest. Is there a significant difference in rates between now and, say, October?

I just want to keep the process of checking rates and signing contracts to a minimum, but don't want to miss out on a good rate. Suggestions?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,666 times
On electricity rates, there's no telling where they'll go. Besides corporate greed, you have the natural gas cost factor, which changes daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth