Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:08 PM

119 posts, read 347,858 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer for grocery shopping?
Tom Thumb or Krogers ...

I have never heard of either, we only have a Safeway and Albertsons.

Which has best prices, card clubs, etc?
Do both have pharmacies?

Thank You In Advance...

JD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Tom Thumb is owned by the Safeway corporation, so it is the same store.
Kroger is usually lower priced, but Tom Thumb has more speciality items. Both have club cards.

Yes, both have pharmacies.

We also have Albertson's, but they recently closed many of their less-profitable stores.

Wal-Mart is the highest volume grocery in DFW.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Thank you...

Ive never been to a Walmart that has a full on grocery department.

It will be very interesting to see what a Kroger looks like, Im going
to guess that Tom Thumb has the same appearance as Safeway?

For inexpensive clothes, would you suggest Target or Walmart?

TY

Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Personally, I hate WalMart and try to avoid shopping there, so I would recommend Target.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:56 PM

211 posts, read 494,894 times
I love Target clothes, shoes, kitchen stuff, dishes, decorative stuff...I've even bought nightstands there. Much better than WalMart, IMO.

Groceries....I don't have to cook for a family anymore and I don't comparison shop or buy on sale. Usually Albertson's or Krogers. I also go to my neighborhood Braums or Fiesta. Tom Thumb, Central Market and Sprouts are a little out of my way, but closer to my work. I go there as well.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 PM

301 posts, read 570,776 times
Where I live in FM currently I am pretty close to both so I shop who has the best specials. I will also pick up some food items at the Walmart Supercenter (located in Highland Village or Lewisville) or the SuperTarget in FM. There is also a Sprouts that I will swing into if I happen to be in the area and every once in a while will go to Central Market in Coppell. I am an equal opportunity shopper LOL.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,317 times
I'd rather shop at Kroger than Tom Thumb because Kroger is cheaper and I trust their store branded products. Wal-Mart's grocery side is cheaper on some things but not on others. My big irritation with both Target and Wal-Mart grocery is that I've never in my life been able to get everything on my weekly grocery list at either. There's always something I'm looking for that they're either out of or don't carry. If I have to go to Kroger or Tom Thumb anyway to get those few items, I might as well get the rest of my groceries there, too.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
agree with HAL about the lack of certain items at Target/Walmart--think it has to do with the deals with grocery providers

I live almost equidistant from a Kroger and Tom Thumb--there are +/- about shopping at either one
My husband hates the Kroger because he does not understand the layout of the store and is always backtracking when I ask him to shop for stuff so he much prefers Tom Thumb--
overall I think Tom Thumb is more expensive but their produce is usually better
Kroger has Boar's Head meats in deli--Tom Thumb does not if that matters to you--
it does to some friends of ours

there are two chains that are more upscale than Tom Thumb--Central Market and Market Street--
don't know if either is close to you--
you can search the forum to read posts about them

I shop at Walmart for cleaning supplies/trash bags/paper goods when I need to replenish in big way and because I don't have Sam's or Costco card (both are available to you in FM I imagine)

some people are using the new Aldi stores that have come into DFW--same parent company as Trader Joe's I think--
only store brand foods and some other issues (like you bring your own bags or pay for theirs) but some people swear by their low cost and quality--to me, stores are too dark, aisles are too close, not that wide a variety of products and don't want to spend the time to educate myself about their store brands

Old 05-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Walmart is definitely the place for household cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc. I believe the Walmart that is closest to where we are trying to move to, is up in Highland Village?
We will be in North Flower Mound if all goes right with the sale of our home.
Ive seen from the Google Map that there is a big Target nearby in northern FM. We have never been to Texas, and here we are, taking a big leap of Faith.

I guess I'll just have to shop at both and see which one 'feels' most comfortable, and fits our 'tight budget'. I like to get to know a store and where the items are. L2R, I think Im a lot like your husband, in that I like a good layout and need to know where I am going in the store, when I need to get something.
Thanks so much again.

JD

Old 05-16-2011, 09:27 PM

301 posts, read 570,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDeb View Post
Walmart is definitely the place for household cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc. I believe the Walmart that is closest to where we are trying to move to, is up in Highland Village?
We will be in North Flower Mound if all goes right with the sale of our home.
Ive seen from the Google Map that there is a big Target nearby in northern FM. We have never been to Texas, and here we are, taking a big leap of Faith.

I guess I'll just have to shop at both and see which one 'feels' most comfortable, and fits our 'tight budget'. I like to get to know a store and where the items are. L2R, I think Im a lot like your husband, in that I like a good layout and need to know where I am going in the store, when I need to get something.
Thanks so much again.

JD
Yes. There is a Walmart in Highland Village just down from 2499 on 407 and there is a Super Target just up 2499 from the apts about which you originally posted. Let me know if and when you get to town. I'll be glad to take you on a quick tour and out to lunch .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth