Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,384 times

Advertisements

My wife and are are moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth area later this year. We would really like to find a nice newer subdivision/neighborhood to meet some people. I will be commuting all over the state for my work so traffic really isn't an issue, but does anyone have an opinion on Fort Worth vs. Dallas suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
What's your budget?
Are schools important?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:10 PM

95 posts, read 256,119 times
Since your posting in the Ft. Worth forum, I would recommend Ft. Worth neighborhoods.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:40 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Fort Worth: The new development would be basically west of 377 or 35W north of 820.
On the Southside would be around the Bryant Irvin where the new tollway is being constructed.

Dallas has: The City of Irving around Luna and 635.

Questions would include:
What other amenities, needs/wants, recreation, type of questions, what kind of housing would you like?
Do you also need to be close to the airport or just to major thoroughfare for travel?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:32 PM

16 posts, read 40,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis36 View Post
My wife and are are moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth area later this year. We would really like to find a nice newer subdivision/neighborhood to meet some people. I will be commuting all over the state for my work so traffic really isn't an issue, but does anyone have an opinion on Fort Worth vs. Dallas suburbs?
I was born and raised in Cincinnati and would never go back there. I now see it as a depressing and racist town (I am white, middle to upper class) with a declining economy. We have been in the North Fort Worth area for almost 4 years and really like it.

Your question is very hard to answer because of the broadness of it. You can compare the geographic size of DFW to the area from the Ohio River all the way up past Dayton. It really is that large here. The difference is that there are communities covering the whole area between Fort Worth and Dallas, different than Southwest Ohio.

Also, it seems that a lot of people here are not actually from here originally. We like that. You won't have everyone asking you where you went to high school like you do in Cincinnati. Most ask about what college, what church, etc.

You really need to come down to DFW for a few days, if not longer, and explore the area. You will find that it takes over an hour to go from one side of the metro-plex to the other.

Good luck to you and your family!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 PM

275 posts, read 416,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandalay View Post
I was born and raised in Cincinnati and would never go back there. I now see it as a depressing and racist town (I am white, middle to upper class) with a declining economy. We have been in the North Fort Worth area for almost 4 years and really like it.

Your question is very hard to answer because of the broadness of it. You can compare the geographic size of DFW to the area from the Ohio River all the way up past Dayton. It really is that large here. The difference is that there are communities covering the whole area between Fort Worth and Dallas, different than Southwest Ohio.

Also, it seems that a lot of people here are not actually from here originally. We like that. You won't have everyone asking you where you went to high school like you do in Cincinnati. Most ask about what college, what church, etc.
There are many people in the DFW area who are from Texas originally. I'm curious why you "like" that "people here are not actually from here originally." What's not to "like" about lifelong or longtime Texans in their own state? If I moved to Cincinnati where you are from, I doubt I'd be telling people that I "liked" it that there were few original Cincinnati folks left if that was the case.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 AM

16 posts, read 40,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
There are many people in the DFW area who are from Texas originally. I'm curious why you "like" that "people here are not actually from here originally." What's not to "like" about lifelong or longtime Texans in their own state? If I moved to Cincinnati where you are from, I doubt I'd be telling people that I "liked" it that there were few original Cincinnati folks left if that was the case.
Can you read?

I never said that I didn't "like" native Texans or that the majority of people in DFW are not from Texas. I simply said that I "like" that there seem to be a lot of people similar to me, meaning from somewhere else.

And I really do not care what you would do...............

Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 PM

382 posts, read 420,063 times
When I was a kid back in the 1980s, I'd see a lot of "Welcome To Texas - Now Go Home!" bumper stickers. I thought they were hilarious, and didn't understand the meaning. I haven't seen one in a while. Actually, it's been years. And you know, outside of my family, who got here in the late 18th century (yes, when Spain ruled the place), I know maybe a dozen? native Texans and only four who are from the area. Even my wife isn't from here. Remarkable.

It's truly amazing how fast this area has changed and grown. It must have been a difficult adjustment for country folk in rural areas used to a certain way of life seeing suburbs sprouting up left and right, traffic congestion on farm roads, and nobody waving (or, just lifting a finger or two off the steering wheel as a "wave") when you went the opposite way on a road, whether you knew them or not. And only 30 years ago, you could buy land in Weatherford or Justin for just a few hundred dollars an acre. Wow.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry. Don't want to be off-topic.

To your point, I don't know what your budget is, but as the self-proclaimed Resident Defender of Arlington (apparently), I would check out ZIP codes 76013, 76016, 76012, and 76017. I think you'll like what you see. I know these areas pretty well, so feel free to reach out if I can help.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:15 AM

275 posts, read 416,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandalay View Post
Can you read?

I never said that I didn't "like" native Texans or that the majority of people in DFW are not from Texas. I simply said that I "like" that there seem to be a lot of people similar to me, meaning from somewhere else.

And I really do not care what you would do...............
I did not ask you whether you cared what I would do if I lived in your hometown of Cincinnati.

Old 04-30-2022, 12:30 AM

6 posts, read 6,782 times
I appreciate your message and your reply to that "person"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth