Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 09:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

Anyone in FTW area have this added to your home--the spray on radiant barrier or the foil stapled inside attic rafters?
Anyone have an energy audit done where company does a blower door test and other checks to see if there are air leaks or weak insulation?
checked Angies list but not many companies there

some insulation/roofing companies do radiant barrier spray but don't know much they can tell you about payback or other factors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 03:54 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
Wasn't there a thread here a while back that pretty much said that real Radiant Barrier works but the spray-on stuff doesn't?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:00 AM

spray works--just not as efficient at blocking the heat gain as the foil--just don't think this attic's shape will make foil an option since it is tight w/low angles
people who come out usually can do both
foil is more expensive
what really does not work that well is just laying the foil sheets on top of the insulation in the attic--when dust accumulates on it, dust negates the reflective value of the foil and obscures any bounce back effect--plus heat does not go INTO the interiors but it stays in the attic--so attic traps more heat that it might anyway...I don't see value in that frankly...

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
I also wonder how much of the signal Radiant Barrier (be it the real thing or spray-on) blocks for OTA HDTV. I've heard it can be significant.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:25 PM

don't know about that
we are probably getting ATT new tv system forget the name

Old 06-05-2009, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,813 times
We have had the radiant barrier layed on top of our insulation for 8 years. It is time to flip it over due to the dust layer that has accumulated. We have recouped our expense as it reduced the heat loss to the attic in the winter and the heat penetration in the summer. We have ridge vents in our roof and a significant number of eave vents to work with these. Our attic gets hot but not is still workable in the summer for brief times. I do my own attic work. I will be up there soon flipping the barrier. Although we are now considering installing more insulation as ours is as old as the house (23 yrs) and depleted due to humidity. The goal is to block the transfer into and out of the house, not to keep your attic cool so the barrier on the attic floor is VERY effective. We boaught is direct from the mfgr and installed it ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth