U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2008, 08:06 PM
 
1,383 posts, read 3,165,345 times
Reputation: 1269

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
If it were not for the signs you would never know the difference. BTW on the gulf coast if you leave a coke botle in the yard over night it will rust.
Ya that is for sure. You could pretty much go anywhere in the DFW area and not know that you have gone into another city if it wasn't for the signs and water towers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 PM
 
Location: St Joseph
47 posts, read 158,982 times
Reputation: 35
I just am not sure I would like to live in a huge city with high housing costs. Kansas city is about half a million folks. It's way too big for me, St. Joe is about 70k pop. and while it is small enough but still has a lot of amenities that bigger cities have, it has become too busy, folks are not as friendly as they use to be, kids don't hang out because neighborhoods are not like they where when was growing up. Besides living there as a small child, I have been through Tx many times traveling while I was stationed in San Diego, and I just love it. I was stationed with a handful of buddies from TX and the pride they had and things they told me about TX made me want to move there immediately but life happened. Anyhow I can't wait. What would be a good area outside of DFW that would be a good commute with out crazy traffic, I hate traffic. Need a community with decent christian churches, nothing big. I'm kinda of a country boy, so I'm not all into artsy stuff, sushi or any of that. And would like to live in like minded communities. Thanks for all of your comments. Joey
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 PM
 
1,383 posts, read 3,165,345 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by caturpilar View Post
I just am not sure I would like to live in a huge city with high housing costs. Kansas city is about half a million folks. It's way too big for me, St. Joe is about 70k pop. and while it is small enough but still has a lot of amenities that bigger cities have, it has become too busy, folks are not as friendly as they use to be, kids don't hang out because neighborhoods are not like they where when was growing up. Besides living there as a small child, I have been through Tx many times traveling while I was stationed in San Diego, and I just love it. I was stationed with a handful of buddies from TX and the pride they had and things they told me about TX made me want to move there immediately but life happened. Anyhow I can't wait. What would be a good area outside of DFW that would be a good commute with out crazy traffic, I hate traffic. Need a community with decent christian churches, nothing big. I'm kinda of a country boy, so I'm not all into artsy stuff, sushi or any of that. And would like to live in like minded communities. Thanks for all of your comments. Joey
You are going to find that there is a ton of family-friendly suburbs with easy commutes to Fort Worth. Keller would be good. There is a lot of nice and safe neighborhoods there and theres only about 40K people in Keller. The schools are good and the commute to Fort Worth is really short. There is also more places like this, including Decatur, Saginaw, Grapevine, Haslet that are all really nice, safe, and commutable to Fort Worth. Hope this helps!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth
356 posts, read 431,880 times
Reputation: 162
you have Mansfield to the south of Arlington. You mentioned kids, that makes a huge difference as to house values and where you can live due to school districts, even where you live within school districts...Do you have kids, and what grade?

To the west you have Aledo in fort worth. Burlson and on the river-lake you have Granbury..
Find out where you are going to work, Find out where school is going to be and I think I can help, but still San Antiono is first with me. My wife still teaches, we have a good life and a hard to replace house and then there are the grandchildren...so I am kindda hung but SA is great.

I know very little about SA area schools, but that info is available.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 11:23 AM
 
Location: St Joseph
47 posts, read 158,982 times
Reputation: 35
Upon some research, Keller looked good but median home price was up past 200k. Decatur looks promising and I did like what I read about burleson also. Yes I have 3 kids, 7,11,13. As far a where to work, I have put some resumes out there this weekend. I believe I have a pretty decent resume so I don't think finding work will be real hard, it's just hard to know where to look. It would be better if I had a clue where I would be working to pick a city or town, but the reason I'm searching for an area now is because once we have a few choices, we would like to visit the areas beforehand. I guess we may be poor by housing standars around DFW. Together last year my wife and I brought home a combined income of around 55k and the house we have now costs 110k and in a good area. Thats about what we are looking at, I guess that may be lower middle class.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 PM
 
1,383 posts, read 3,165,345 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by caturpilar View Post
Upon some research, Keller looked good but median home price was up past 200k. Decatur looks promising and I did like what I read about burleson also. Yes I have 3 kids, 7,11,13. As far a where to work, I have put some resumes out there this weekend. I believe I have a pretty decent resume so I don't think finding work will be real hard, it's just hard to know where to look. It would be better if I had a clue where I would be working to pick a city or town, but the reason I'm searching for an area now is because once we have a few choices, we would like to visit the areas beforehand. I guess we may be poor by housing standars around DFW. Together last year my wife and I brought home a combined income of around 55k and the house we have now costs 110k and in a good area. Thats about what we are looking at, I guess that may be lower middle class.
Actually, the DFW area has really affordable house compared to other areas. A lot of people who move here realize that you can get more for your money here. The cost of living is much lower here. Once you find out where you are working, it will be a lot easier to find an area to live in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,715 times
Reputation: 10
Based on pay, population and school requirements - target West Fort Worth, Benbrook, and if possible Burleson. Aledo has higher taxes and has become a bit ritzy....you can get an acre but Parker county taxes are high and most areas will require a custom builer... Burleson is a great investment and affordable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caturpilar View Post
Hello all, I've been reading these forums for about a month now and decided to register. My wife and I are thinking of moving somewhere outside the DFW area like Ranger, Garland etc. We would have to rent a home since we have 2 homes here we are paying on, I've found tons of rentals on craigslist the problem I am having is employment. I currently work for Caterpillar rebuilding engines, transmissions and pumps. 8 years in the Marine Corps working on Heavy Equipment. I currently make around 45k a year. I've searched job boards, but believe not all jobs are posted on those. Also my wife has a B.S. in Psychology and will be going back to school to get here Masters in teaching. She has worked as a director for a daycare, para professional, county juvinile corrections and is currently a substitute teacher. Any help would be great. I'd prefer to work outside of Fort Worth, I'm not a fan of big cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 PM
 
1,383 posts, read 3,165,345 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg411 View Post
Based on pay, population and school requirements - target West Fort Worth, Benbrook, and if possible Burleson. Aledo has higher taxes and has become a bit ritzy....you can get an acre but Parker county taxes are high and most areas will require a custom builer... Burleson is a great investment and affordable!
Ya Aledo is more expensive and not in their price range.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2008, 04:42 PM
 
14,042 posts, read 6,741,312 times
Reputation: 8791
I think you would like Abilene - small town, friendly. My next door neighbors are from Abilene. Warren is the big Cat dealer in Texas and has an opening there.

HOSS Equipment in Irving, TX [dozernet.com] also has an ad for a mechanic - they sell/service used heavy equipment . Irving is pretty congested, right between Dallas/FW .... you might be able to live north of there toward Denton or maybe Flower Mound.

Altec Industries in Waxahachie has an ad on Monster for a heavy equipment mechanic. This is a great town - small and very pretty. South of Dallas, east of Mansfield.

Texas is a friendly place - especially in the small towns. The big cities now have so many yankees that have moved in that you can run into folks that don't have that original Texan friendliness. I'm a native and have found that the transplants tend to get back what they put into their neighborhoods. I've lived or visited all over Texas. Midland/Odessa and the entire Houston area would be my last choice but those that live there seem to love it.

It's not hard to find a place outside of the congestion if you don't mind a bit of a drive - school districts will be the most important thing to keep in mind. Good Luck - Texas is a great place to live.

KB
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM
 
Location: St Joseph
47 posts, read 158,982 times
Reputation: 35
Thanks everyone, See I have searched on job boards, I put a resume in at Warren Cat. I didn't see altec but am going to try and get one there, we have altec up here as well and they seem to be a stable business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top