Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times

Advertisements

i think you are better off with some kind of long term food storage than a crisis garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
At the very least a garden like this isn't something that ends up being a complete fool's errand like many projects that the chicken little sector engage in.

Whether the zombie apocalypse happens or not you lose nothing by eating healthier, learning a little, and saving on your grocery bills with a garden. Plus you can finally be that one person at work who leaves fruits/veggies on the table in the breakroom with a little sign saying "free! take some!" on it.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,310 times
Growing food is a lot more difficult than people think; it is a good idea to keep a small garden going just for practice / education. People who think they will survive off a seed bank if a calamity occurs are in for a rude awakening.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
yeah, i would be afraid that i couldnt really produce a decent amount of fruit any cheaper than what it would cost if i got a good deal in the supermarket (or even a bad deal). i think if you got to the point where you need to rely on your garden, your garden probably wouldnt be very safe or practical. start extreme couponing your way to a good amount of food storage.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:28 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The problem is your garden better be hidden to keep it safe from the hordes of starving people. The best investment right now is land in the middle of nowhere and plenty of guns and ammo to protect yourself and your food. Non-perishable foods would also be a good investment to get you through this next winter.
Sorry but this strikes me as funny. Reminds me of that great classic survival movie "Tremors" with the couple as final holdouts in their ammo-stacked rec room reaching for their guns as the monster breaks through their wall.

Look, if there's no gas - or unaffordable gas - to access your land and get your supplies, what good is that land in the middle of nowhere?? How long can you hold out on your island without being discovered? Do you know how to produce your own crop seed? And forget tending animals, you'd better be vegetarian.

I think we're all in this together, like it or not (whatever "it" is).

PS: a garden is a good idea

Old 04-29-2011, 10:28 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
The sky is falling!

Y2K!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
The sky is falling!

Y2K!!!
Get real, the sky doesn't have to fall in order to want or need to save money on food. A garden won't grow maybe 70% of the kinds of goods we eat, and vegetables are probably not the most expensive part of one's food budget (snacks and animal food are). If one wants to seriously save money and be healthier at the same time, being mostly vegetarian and growing a garden with berries and fruit trees is doable provided you have the land (at least a big yard). Depending on how food prices go, already many families have cut down on meats and processed foods both for cost savings and health benefits. Gardening is not for everyone, nor does anyone have access to "dirt."

Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,898 times
I grew up on 14 acres and my parents were a tad short on cash because Dad was out of work off and on. We had 3 HUGE gardens, not because the sky was falling but because it saved money. That said- even with all three gardens it in in way provided all of the food we ate- period. Having a garden that would actually provide all of your food would put you in a full time position managing it.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Get real, the sky doesn't have to fall in order to want or need to save money on food.....
<points to the thread title>

I garden but my soil sucks and the deer eat the rest so I just garden a little for the fun of it.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyAmbrosia View Post
My girlfriend is concerned about the coming calamity and keeps bugging me to invest in one.
Yes, and check your zoning laws and change them, if necessary, by any means available (and you can take that any way you want).

You need to be able to keep chickens, or better yet, geese and a cow if space is available. I prefer geese, because the eggs are bigger and tastier than chicken eggs, plus once they know you, they'll ignore you, but anyone who sets foot on your property they will squawk until the dead rise. The US Army used them as security at nuclear weapons storage facilities (and no, I'm not kidding).

If you have at least an 8th of acre, a cow will give you 250-300 gallons of milk each month. And yes, in spite of what your idiot government and the lunatics say (same thing actually), you can drink milk straight from the cow. Just let it sit for a few hours and pour the cream off (and you can use that for coffee or let it sour for sour cream).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living