Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

My ex-Boss was Mormon, dude had a barrel of water and all kinds of **** in his garage. Problem was I wouldn't have known what to do with it. He had big silver bags labelled "wheat" but I'm a city-boy you might as well give me sand, it would have equal value. I have a vague notion it can become bread, or maybe beer.

I'll risk a year's worth of vienna sausages over that, especially if they are the higher quality ones that are more pink than gray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Newenglandgirl, I think it is do-able. From what I understand, there are people in our country now living in the mountains and swamps or wherever and growing their own food. They may not have mouths full of teeth or glamorous lives, but they're "surviving."
Seeing how things have played out I sometimes wish I had been born Amish. For them, life is going on as usual and they don't have to worry about the recession or peak oil. It seems like a much simpler life and a life that actually has a future.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Why not take it a step farther and wish you had been born a drooling retard? Life is simple.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:06 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,152 times
Just remember that as fuel prices increase, so will FOOD prices increase. Most people notice the various packaged items that are increasing in price. Did you notice that SAME packaged item is decreasing in SIZE?

A 6 oz item is now only 4.5 oz, yet increased in price, as well. Think about that for a minute. You are getting LESS product for MORE money.

Last edited by springazure; 04-29-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
yes, I did notice the size thing. I used to feed a family of 4 on one pkg of mac and cheese. Now only 3 of us can eat... ridiculous. When will it get to the point where I don't even buy their products anymore?...

Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The food production and distribution system in the USA is nothing short of miraculous. Food is unbelievably cheap in the USA, compared to most other countries in the world. The average American family can eat for about 10% of their income, while in much of the rest of the world, food costs more than half the family income and consists of very little variety and limited protein.

Learn how to can and preserve food, if a crisis is what you're worried about, and put up the groceries you can buy at the supermarket. Trying to grow a couple hundred dollars worth of food will use up a huge amount of land and will be a full time job for the whole summer.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The average American family can eat for about 10% of their income...

Sorry, not true, not unless you are buying the crappiest food from the big box discount stores. If a modest family income nets $1500/week (try less) they would be hard put to feed their family on $150, unless they are mostly vegetarian and don't buy snacks and drinks. Certainly not with quality foods.

These days you might as well factor in gas cost to get to the market and back ($10-$20-$30 perhaps, depending on the vehicle and how far and now many trips).

Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Trying to grow a couple hundred dollars worth of food will use up a huge amount of land and will be a full time job for the whole summer.
Not so. You can grow quite a bit on good soil in a sunny back yard, 1/8 or 1/4 of an acre plus container plants on porches and decks. Once planted, all you have to do is mulch heavily with ground up leaves and hay in spring and harvest as needed. I have done this while working 50 hour weeks at a job.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sorry, not true, not unless you are buying the crappiest food from the big box discount stores. If a modest family income nets $1500/week (try less) they would be hard put to feed their family on $150, unless they are mostly vegetarian and don't buy snacks and drinks. Certainly not with quality foods.

These days you might as well factor in gas cost to get to the market and back ($10-$20-$30 perhaps, depending on the vehicle and how far and now many trips).
The median household income in the US is arouind $45K, which is take home pay in the neighborhood of $3000 a month. A family that NEVER eats out can easily keep a stock of groceries, nutritious and for varied taste, for $300 a month, shopping weekly at the nearest supermarket, and with mom at home cooking scratch food instead of convenience packs. Of course, if you need to order a pizza a couple of nights a week, and go to an upscale restaurant every weekend, and your kids eat most of their meals at McDonalds, and you have to put $50 worth of steaks on the grill every Saturday, and nobody even knows how to boil potatoes, and your bananas have to be organic and shade-grown, it's nobody's fault but your own if you don't manage it, but it CAN be done. My comment was about the cost of basic food in the USA, not about the propensity Americans have to buy only the choicest cuts and throw half away uneaten, or how much it costs to drive 20 miles to a special exclusive upscale market that has "quality" food.

Most American households use more gas driving to restaurants, than to grocery stores.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-30-2011 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-30-2011, 01:16 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I wonder if you could raise a force-fed goose and remove only part of it's liver to eat at a time, giving ample time to regenerate in-between.
Probably. A federal court just cleared the way for stem cell research so there should be a solution forthcoming shortly.

Quote:
Never approach goslings when their mother is nearby, she will attack.
I never had that problem, but animals seem to like me.

Quote:
I'd get a goat instead of a cow, or better yet, make my own soymilk and grow grain along with a garden.
Goats are good, maybe even better for homes on small lots. I can't recommend sheep, because they eat the grass roots and all (cows and goats don't), and goats will eat just about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure why you would need a crisis garden. i suppose you would be in trouble when your food runs out but i think you can cover many more issues with long term storage and the garden has very few scenarios where it will pay off.
Long term storage is not self-replenishing or self-propagating. I know that for a fact. I did an experiment where I put to cans of lentil beans in a closet and checked it at periodic intervals. After 1 year, there were still only two cans of lentil beans there.

It won't be too long before you won't be able to get what you want, and if you can, it will be very expensive, so it's easier to grow things you need.

In a few hours I'm going to have a bone-in ribeye steak with a big beefsteak tomato. Kroger's doesn't have those, and hasn't for maybe 25-30 years now. Neither does Meijer's and I don't shop at Wal*Mart. So if you want a beefsteak tomato you'll have to grow it yourself or get it from a roadside stand.

I can't believe you people can't taste the difference. Tomatoes get their flavor by ripening on the vine. Those tomatoes you get at the Kroger's and elsewhere come from Mexico and Latin America and they're picked green and gassed with Carbon Monoxide to turn them red.

That's why they taste like a wet Brawny paper towel.

For almost nothing you plant a few pole beans or greasy beans and get bushels of beans. String them up (with needle and thread), dry them out and they last forever. It's best to use a pressure cooker when you cook them, but you can soak them just like any other dried bean.

Instead of spending $12/month on canned-green beans, you can spend it on something else. A few tomato plants will give you 30 pounds of tomatoes, and at $2.89/pound you can spend that $80 on something else.

The more you garden, the better you get at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living