Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:13 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sorry but this strikes me as funny. Reminds me of that great classic survival movie "Tremors" with the couple as final holdouts in their ammo-stacked rec room reaching for their guns as the monster breaks through their wall.

Look, if there's no gas - or unaffordable gas - to access your land and get your supplies, what good is that land in the middle of nowhere?? How long can you hold out on your island without being discovered? Do you know how to produce your own crop seed? And forget tending animals, you'd better be vegetarian.

PS: a garden is a good idea
OMG I am so old, that Tremors is a "classic survival movie" LOL.

I learned that even if you save seeds, some seeds may not be viable when you want to plant them for various reasons (age, temperature etc). So before buying survival seeds, you may need to learn about seed storage and testing.

Newenglandgirl, I think it is do-able. From what I understand, there are people in our country now living in the mountains and swamps or wherever and growing their own food. They may not have mouths full of teeth or glamorous lives, but they're "surviving."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
I wonder if you could raise a force-fed goose and remove only part of it's liver to eat at a time, giving ample time to regenerate in-between.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:10 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Grow your own veggie garden, in pots if you are urban...or plant your own apple tree or fruit tree, fruits and veggies are expensive!!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

You need to be able to keep chickens, or better yet, geese and a cow if space is available. I prefer geese, because the eggs are bigger and tastier than chicken eggs, plus once they know you, they'll ignore you, but anyone who sets foot on your property they will squawk until the dead rise. The US Army used them as security at nuclear weapons storage facilities (and no, I'm not kidding).
Never approach goslings when their mother is nearby, she will attack.

I'd get a goat instead of a cow, or better yet, make my own soymilk and grow grain along with a garden.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think you are better off with some kind of long term food storage than a crisis garden.
You need both. You can store a lot underground, esp potatoes and root vegs.

Greens like kale and collards often survive the northern winter. If you're in warmer climates do fruit and nut trees.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You need both.
im not sure why you would need a crisis garden. i suppose you would be in trouble when your food runs out but i think you can cover many more issues with long term storage and the garden has very few scenarios where it will pay off.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:03 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
That is an interesting point. If one took the square footage (including vertically) of a crisis garden and instead put cans of beans, fruit, meats, etc. would you have a better use of space?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That is an interesting point. If one took the square footage (including vertically) of a crisis garden and instead put cans of beans, fruit, meats, etc. would you have a better use of space?
and it would be more secure and less maintenance and dealing with the elements outside.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure why you would need a crisis garden. i suppose you would be in trouble when your food runs out but i think you can cover many more issues with long term storage and the garden has very few scenarios where it will pay off.
Depends on how bad fuel prices get in relation to food transport. For me in New England to be getting oranges from Florida and lettuce from California in an era of high price fuel is ridiculous. Not to mention the health aspects. Who knows how things will play out with food costs given the questions about transport cost.

So, having your own continual, local source of produce would seem to be a rather good idea, whether it's your own garden or a shared neighbor's (or farmer's markets).

Old 04-29-2011, 08:15 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
First year might be storage. Although the canned, preserved, etc., would be of lower quality.

Second year -- as the stored would be gone . . . better have planned on production.

So probably the Full Classic Mormon model -- a year ahead of food in storage + be producing this and the next year ahead, would have you covered. Plenty on the net about this . . . . samples . . . .

Food Storage Calculator

LDS Food Storage | Mormon Food Storage

But the real deal -- if you are trying to compare efficiency and profitability, you may not understand that is a typical survival topic -- NOT a typical business topic . . . and would probably belong in the Survivalist section here on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living