Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why people think that super inflation will lead to a food shortage. Thus I don't see a need op stock up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 04:59 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times
There are a lot of us stocking up. We're posting the "preparedness" section of this board.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't understand why people think that super inflation will lead to a food shortage. Thus I don't see a need op stock up.

Hi NJBest,

A shortage is one cause of super inflation. It may also be they are printing lots of it, but that is usually to buy something that is in short supply. The shortages is what often creates the feedback loop. Once the currency is no longer trusted, transaction costs will sky rocket and production may indeed slow to make it worse. You definitely would want to be the one with food goods during super inflation. However the problem with this fear is that it is actually quite rare.

Now in my case, I already benefit since most of what I know about survival saves me money now. I recently juiced some mulberries. The same technique that would be used to save the juice from spoilage without refrigeration or pasteurization will give me some nice hard cider that I would rather have than a $15 bottle of wine. Instead of a reactionary fear, I am living high on the hog for the cost of spending a little time in nature.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 AM

106,596 posts, read 108,757,383 times
I just have a gun and bullets. I figure i can get everything else i need with that .

Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I just have a gun and bullets. I figure i can get everything else i need with that .
The one who moves first is the target. If you have nothing else, you will be on the move first and in someone sights.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:08 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

I am laughing. Wages rise with Real Inflation (but not with Cost Inflation).

You don't have a single clue what you're talking about, do you?

The term "Real inflation" does not exist in economics.

Last edited by qwerbilzak; 07-16-2011 at 01:20 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 04:11 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Super inflation, fact or fiction, is it a scare tactic or is it just a matter of when?
Sure seems like all the hysteria about inflation was fiction, as I've been saying:

Source: Cleveland Fed

Quote:
According to the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, the median Consumer Price Index rose 0.1% (1.7% annualized rate) in June. The 16% trimmed-mean Consumer Price Index increased 0.1% (1.2% annualized rate) during the month. The median CPI and 16% trimmed-mean CPI are measures of core inflation calculated by the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland based on data released in the Bureau of Labor Statistics' (BLS) monthly CPI report.

Earlier today, the BLS reported that the seasonally adjusted CPI for all urban consumers fell 0.2% (-2.6% annualized rate) in June. The CPI less food and energy increased 0.3% (3.1% annualized rate) on a seasonally adjusted basis.

Over the last 12 months, the median CPI rose 1.6%, the trimmed-mean CPI rose 2.0%, the CPI rose 3.6%, and the CPI less food and energy rose 1.6%

Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
One of the nice things about frugality, is that the frugal do not fear inflation or other apocalypse theories. We have learned to do without things, and can learn to do without more.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
You don't have a single clue what you're talking about, do you?

The term "Real inflation" does not exist in economics.
It is abundantly clear from the context, that what he meant by "real inflation" was general, classical inflation (which does exist in economics) as opposed to "cost inflation", which also exists in economics, and is not "real" inflation.

Cost inflation is when the value of the money remains constant, but cost of things rises, to enable the rich to get richer, but not the workers, or to import increasingly expensive commodities from more successful economies, both of which are happening in the USA today. "Real" inflation is when the value of the currency declines, so wages and prices remain in step while the numbers get bigger.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-06-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Back in the 70's we had similar fears. It was predicited there would be shortages of coffee, toilet paper, and sugar. so, my mother stocked up on all 3, everytime there was a sale, etc. she stored them in the basement.

Then, after a rain, we had a flooded basement. do you have any idea what a 10-year supply of coffee, sugar, and toilet paper looks like floating in the basement, up to the stairs? My Dad was spewing phrases he'd learned in algiers during the war (nice to have a parent fluent in French!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living