Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:10 PM

616 posts, read 857,232 times

Advertisements

I've been allergic to car notes for about 20 years now. and I love it.

are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,872,907 times
Don't know... never had one.

Most of my cars were old to start with and I just keep them running...

Old 09-16-2011, 03:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,247,429 times
It's strange to hear this at a time where you can get car notes for 1.99% straight from banks.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM

I grew up around the family car business... my Grandfather started back in the 1920's and opened his place in 1942.

I remember he would often tell people they are looking at too much automobile if they couldn't afford to pay off a used car in 2 years or a new one in 3 years.

He would always advise people that it was not sound financially to own something where you owe more than it's worth...

Lost a few sales over the years and made many loyal customers...

Some families he had sold to 4 generations and he always had his home address and phone number on his card and never worked on Sunday... 6 days was enough.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-20-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's strange to hear this at a time where you can get car notes for 1.99% straight from banks.
Very true... but even low interest won't keep a person from being upside down unless they have a large down payment.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,247,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Very true... but even low interest won't keep a person from being upside down unless they have a large down payment.
I would suspect that people would take the loan with the smallest down payment possible. And invest the money.

For example, I bought my dad a car in October. I put down $5,000 and took the remaining $45,000 on loan at 1.99% from my credit union (estimating here, don't recall exact numbers).

I then took the $45,000 I was originally going to use to pay for the car in my brokerage account. I have earned 17% on it so far (due to the wacky economy).

If you were to buy a car today, it would be silly to buy it outright at these low rates.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:31 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,350,033 times
I purged myself of what I thought was my last car note several years ago. Then in 2007 we decided we needed a van for vacation. We looked at renting but figured the cost to rent the van for a week would equal 2 car payments. We had already decided to buy a van 6 months down the road when I got my profit sharing check, so we went ahead and took out a loan figuring that, taking out what we would have paid for the rental, we would basically only be making 3 monthly payments before paying it off. Unfortunately my wife lost her job in the interim so the profit sharing check had to be used to supplement our income; shortly after we moved to be closer to her parents which meant a significant reduction in my pay and no more profit sharing.

To keep a long story from getting any longer, I'll make the last payment next February, exactly 4 years later than we would have paid it off under our original plan. I thought I had learned my lesson about car payments before, but this time I don't think I'll forget. My wife keeps dropping hints about how nice it would be to have a different vehicle, but I've driven sub-$500 beaters myself over the past 4 years in order to afford the payment on this thing so once it's paid off she can continue to drive it for awhile while I save up to get something nicer for myself.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,350,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I would suspect that people would take the loan with the smallest down payment possible. And invest the money.

For example, I bought my dad a car in October. I put down $5,000 and took the remaining $45,000 on loan at 1.99% from my credit union (estimating here, don't recall exact numbers).

I then took the $45,000 I was originally going to use to pay for the car in my brokerage account. I have earned 17% on it so far (due to the wacky economy).

If you were to buy a car today, it would be silly to buy it outright at these low rates.
If you've actually got the money to pay for it that you can invest and make money on until it's needed that's not a bad plan. Even putting it in a conservative mutual fund at 4-6% would earn you a decent return as long as making the payments won't cause cash flow problems.

Unfortunately, though, most people simply don't have the money to buy it outright so they'll finance it rather than saving up until they can afford it. These are the folks who get themselves in trouble down the road when they lose a job and can no longer afford the payment toward a $20,000 loan on a car that is now worth $10,000.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:44 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,103,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I grew up around the family car business... my Grandfather started back in the 1920's and opened his his place in 1942.

I remember he would often tell people they are looking at too much automobile if they couldn't afford to pay off a used car in 2 years or a new one in 3 years.

He would always advise people that it was not sound financially to own something where you owe more than it's worth...

Lost a few sales over the years and made many loyal customers...

Some families he had sold to 4 generations and he always had his home address and phone number on his card and never worked on Sunday... 6 days was enough.
But of course interest rates on car then where much higher. how days people make much mroe and if they have good creidt can get less than 1% on most cars. I remmber when a 125 dolalr car note for 3 years after 20% down was a big payment eve in the 60's.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 PM

When it is so easy and cheap to finance a car... they also tend not to hold value as well because why buy an older model when new is so easy... it can often be easier than buying used in the late model field.

As for the market... never had any success myself... I just have an aversion to loss and the only realized losses I have have ever sustained are market related... no problem for those that do well and understand it.

Even my older cars have appreciated... just sold one I used to drive as a Student... bought it for $800 and drove it for many years... about 15 and then parked it... sold it for $2500 and never did a major repair... only brake pads, battery and one water pump... 72 Plymouth Valiant.

Right now my brother in law who had bought a Ford Ranger new with low finance and easy credit 18 months ago after his last one bit the dust with 230k miles very desperately needs a family vehicle... he and his wife have a newborn and can't go anywhere as a family because they both have Ranger Pickups... both had them before they met. He still has a payoff around 20k for his loaded truck and getting people offering 12k... can get a new one here for less than 20k out the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living