Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The problem with the 0-2% loans offered on the car notes is that generally, you end up paying MORE upfront for the vehicle. On several occasions, I have had friends refuse the 0% financing, asked for a lower price in lieu of the financing deal and get it.
I never had an issue with the 1.99% loans. I negotiate the deal at the dealer as if I was paying cash. Then head on over to my credit union, get the loan check and give it to the dealer.

I think the problem comes into play only if you plan on taking promotional financing from the dealer... which I guess only makes sense if you have bad credit.... in which case you probably wouldn't be buying a new car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 03:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
You have Classics. Aren't they worth a lot in Auctions?
Some have done nicely and others have been flat and even lost some value.

The rare, in demand, muscle cars and some of the great classics have experienced some phenomenal appreciation.

Your bread and butter Model T's and Model A's not so much... it is more of a social thing with very active car clubs and several events always on the calender.

Some of the guys have driven their Model A's around the world... others in the club had them shipped to the New England States and then drove them all the way back to California and another group did the Alcan highway...

The Corvette and the Bantam are probably the most expensive ones...

When I drive my restored Model A pickup I'm always asked what it's worth... people are surprised a new Honda is worth more...

Old 09-18-2011, 05:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Did you see me running around last week?

The weather has been perfect so I started driving the 1930 Model A to work last week... some had never seen it even though I restored it back in the mid 80's...

The funny thing is 4 years of CA license fees totals more than the car cost new.

Haven't had any of the T's out for years... went non-op on most everything after the license fees increased.
Brown with a soft top? That's what I saw about a week ago on E 14th.... real nice.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Brown with a soft top? That's what I saw about a week ago on E 14th.... real nice.
Could have been although there is also a Model T hot rod the same color running around.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:28 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
I don't like car notes. I have owned my last 3 cars free and clear. I like it much better that way. People seriously abuse financing in this country, especially to buy expensive cars. If you can't buy an expensive car without a loan, then you can't afford the car, IMO.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:00 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
I've been allergic to car notes for about 20 years now. and I love it.

are you?
I've never had a car loan; but yes, I suspect I'm allergic. I avoid car loans like the plague.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I'm a smoker and I'm allergic to cars. I think they should be banned at the workplace, parking lots shuttered, and freeways closed for the health of the public.
I sorta agree. I'd love to ditch my car if we had good mass transit. Cars are just a big hassle and expense, IMO.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
What's really sad is that it's not even uncommon. When I sold cars we had someone in probably once a week in a situation like that (in a town of less than 3000 people). What I never understood was why they thought rolling the loan this time was going to work out any better for them than it did the last time.
People are delusional, unfortunately....which is why our economy is in such a mess.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:33 PM

Well, it's not just people, it is the way business is set up...

Anyone remember picking up the phone and half the calls were offering to refi your home?

Some of the former neighbors, they are all gone now had bought homes and refied 5 times in 7 years... buy a home from 230k... keep taking money out for the new boat, Mercedes, BMW, private schools and then walk away owing over 700k and the home gets stripped by looters of the copper and appliances...

Bank later sells it for 410k...

Guess you could say I am allergic to borrowing... money, tools, cars, etc... My only exception has been real estate with at least 25% down.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't like car notes. I have owned my last 3 cars free and clear. I like it much better that way. People seriously abuse financing in this country, especially to buy expensive cars. If you can't buy an expensive car without a loan, then you can't afford the car, IMO.
I agree but people like to show off their cars to STRANGERS on the roads lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living