Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times

Advertisements

I'm the tightwad in our family, and I have absolutely no patience with car dealers or shopping in general. The idea of having to purchase a new car is giving me a migraine as I write this post.

I like my old car. I've taken exceptionally good care of it, and I am pissed beyond measure that, through no fault of my own, I must now spend a lot of money on a new vehicle. Yes, I could buy used, but there is little chance I'd find a car of similar quality for what the other driver's insurance will pay out, so I'm basically screwed.

Gah! I hate cars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Nice. You bought the 86 Honda new?

Which American car?

I once had a Acura Integra RS 86, the first ever Integra, it was nice.
No, I bought it when it was 10 years old and drove it for 14 years. Never had a major problem with it but kept up with maintenance...mostly preventitive type stuff. I bought a 2005 Buick Century with less than 64,000 miles on it and plan to drive it for a loooong time.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:57 AM

I drove an Integra for 16 years, and then sold it to a friend for basically scrap price. It's now 21-years-old a still going strong.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
We are all fine. No injuries thanks to our seat belts.

We can afford to purchase a new car without taking on any debt. I just don't want to do it because I honestly hate driving, and we have better things to do with our money than buy another stupid car. Unfortunately, one of the risks of living a car-dependent lifestyle is exactly what happened tonight, and now we will bear the consequences. It sucks, but it's life.

Thanks for sharing your experience with insurance. I will take your suggestions under advisement.
Would you consider getting some professional driving instruction? If you hate driving, IMHO you are doing it wrong, or you have the wrong car, or something. A good track day type school can really improve your skills, and it's fun.

I'm glad you are OK, and agree that even though you think you are OK, you still ought to get checked out (on the numbskull who hit you's dime).

Old 09-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Would you consider getting some professional driving instruction? If you hate driving, IMHO you are doing it wrong, or you have the wrong car, or something. A good track day type school can really improve your skills, and it's fun.

I'm glad you are OK, and agree that even though you think you are OK, you still ought to get checked out (on the numbskull who hit you's dime).
Oh, you are too funny! I married into a vintage racing family. I can drive just fine, thank you, but the urban/suburban driving I do on a daily basis is much less exciting than taking a Ferrari GTO around Watkins Glen or tooling up Highway 1 in a late '50s California, the reality of which actually isn't nearly as fun as you might imagine, believe it or not.

My driving skill had nothing to do with the accident. The other driver merged into my lane, trapping me between his vehicle and an elevated concrete median. I could only brake and hope for the best. Unfortunately, there was no escape and the entire passenger side of my car was demolished.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-23-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 01:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Oh, you are too funny! I married into a vintage racing family. I can drive just fine, thank you, but the urban/suburban driving I do on a daily basis is much less exciting than taking a Ferrari GTO around Watkins Glen or tooling up Highway 1 in a late '50s California, the reality of which actually isn't nearly as fun as you might imagine, believe it or not.

My driving skill had nothing to do with the accident. The other driver merged into my lane, trapping me between his vehicle and an elevated concrete median. I could only brake and hope for the best. Unfortunately, there was no escape and the entire passenger side of my car was demolished.
Highway 1 -- carsick alley. Even the thought of it makes my tummy turn. It's beyond beautiful, but so windy that it gets to me. And on some parts you are driving THROUGH cattle grazing land, so when you see signs that say watch out for cows..... WATCH OUT FOR COWS. There is no fencing that keeps them off the road.

And the very same thing happened out here last week -- between an SUV and a Tractor trailer.... the big rig pushed the SUV into the median barriers hard enough that some barriers broke and went onto the BART Tracks (?) and the SUV driver walked away unhurt. The rig driver went to the hospital with injuries.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Highway 1 -- carsick alley. Even the thought of it makes my tummy turn. It's beyond beautiful, but so windy that it gets to me. And on some parts you are driving THROUGH cattle grazing land, so when you see signs that say watch out for cows..... WATCH OUT FOR COWS. There is no fencing that keeps them off the road.

And the very same thing happened out here last week -- between an SUV and a Tractor trailer.... the big rig pushed the SUV into the median barriers hard enough that some barriers broke and went onto the BART Tracks (?) and the SUV driver walked away unhurt. The rig driver went to the hospital with injuries.
Oh, yes, the cows! I remember that.

Highway 1 seems like a very romantic drive until you actually do it. I vividly remember driving from Bodega up to Sea Ranch for a long weekend, and I thought I was going to DIE from the carsickness. Seriously, WTH were we thinking? Every once in awhile my husband and I will see a car commercial that has obviously been filmed on the Sonoma/Mendocino coast, and we laugh and roll our eyes. No way would I ever want to do that drive again! Highway 101 is there for good reason!

As for the accident, the other driver's insurance has picked up the cost of a rental, so I can get around as needed. Our TL goes in for an estimate on Monday. I'm hoping for good news, because I really don't want to buy a new car.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:02 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:

Yeah, I saw in a related thread what happened after I posted that. But, driving should not be a chore. Maybe consider moving? This is part of why I left the Atlanta area over 30 years ago.

A really crowded multi-lane road does make for a bad driving experience. And you are right, in a way the more you know, the worse it is.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:51 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
I have to watchout for Deers in Texas.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
But, driving should not be a chore.
why not? it seems like commuting is a chore that you go through so you can get to work and earn your income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living