Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
That's not a bad idea either, though most need a car to get around unless you live in a major metropolitan area. Most Americans don't realize that they are buying something that rapidly depreciates when they buy a new car, which is why buying used is a wiser choice in most instances.
The same can be said about food. It depreciates as soon as you eat it.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-21-2011 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The same can be said about food. It depreciates as soon as you eat it.
Negative. Food can be a big investment in your long term life. Depending on what you eat. It can keep you very healthy.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Negative. Food can be a big investment in your long term life. Depending on what you eat. It can keep you very healthy.
Exactly. Just like food, a car has utility as well.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:49 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,002 times
Even though I love my TSX and bought it used, looking back I would have probably bought a cheaper car that I didn't need to finance almost seven years ago. It is paid off now, and I will drive it for years. I will never finance a car again, there are much better investments I can make with that money. I think financing cars is one of the biggest drains on the average person's wealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I would suspect that people would take the loan with the smallest down payment possible. And invest the money.

For example, I bought my dad a car in October. I put down $5,000 and took the remaining $45,000 on loan at 1.99% from my credit union (estimating here, don't recall exact numbers).

I then took the $45,000 I was originally going to use to pay for the car in my brokerage account. I have earned 17% on it so far (due to the wacky economy).

If you were to buy a car today, it would be silly to buy it outright at these low rates.
The problem with this is that most people only hear the first part and they never invest the difference. Most people are saving their cash to invest they are already stretching to afford the monthly payment. Even with the cash it's still risky to have yourself so highly leveraged. A lot of people borrowed cheap but didn't have the money to cover themselves when housing dropped along with the stock market.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
The problem with this is that most people only hear the first part and they never invest the difference. Most people are saving their cash to invest they are already stretching to afford the monthly payment. Even with the cash it's still risky to have yourself so highly leveraged. A lot of people borrowed cheap but didn't have the money to cover themselves when housing dropped along with the stock market.
Anytime you buy something you cannot afford is a problem. Whether it be a house or a car.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Your car sings?

Cool!

I haven't heard anyone call an installment loan a "note" since I worked as a bank teller with a bunch of little old lady bank tellers 30 years ago. You know ... when we were paying 6.5 percent on passbook savings accounts.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Your car sings?

Cool!

I haven't heard anyone call an installment loan a "note" since I worked as a bank teller with a bunch of little old lady bank tellers 30 years ago. You know ... when we were paying 6.5 percent on passbook savings accounts.
Now they're paying 15% on reits dividends... I'm not complaining.

We called it a note all the time in my mba accounting classes.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Hey... I drive by a car lot all the time with a big sign... "We Tote the Note" and "Buy Here, Pay Here" and "Weekly Payments Available"

Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
Even though I love my TSX and bought it used, looking back I would have probably bought a cheaper car that I didn't need to finance almost seven years ago. It is paid off now, and I will drive it for years. I will never finance a car again, there are much better investments I can make with that money. I think financing cars is one of the biggest drains on the average person's wealth.
I use to run into it all the time... so many of the new hires I work with would go out and buy a "Nice" new car... then they would think about buying a home and couldn't because they were car poor.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:27 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I use to run into it all the time... so many of the new hires I work with would go out and buy a "Nice" new car... then they would think about buying a home and couldn't because they were car poor.
I think that's one of the good things about hating shopping with an absolute passion.... I never run out and buy ANYTHING. Every purchase (except groceries) is a considered decision undertaken after much deliberation and research.

And I do my utmost to buy quality so I won't have to go through that agony again for a long long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living