Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,369 times

Advertisements

@TexasUser...No, I haven't listened to Dave Ramsey but I have heard a little about him. I think I will check out one of his books when I go to the library this weekend so that I can bone up. I've read two books by Suze Orman and am currently trying to learn as much as I can about foreign exchange currency and commodities trading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
@TexasUser...No, I haven't listened to Dave Ramsey but I have heard a little about him. I think I will check out one of his books when I go to the library this weekend so that I can bone up. I've read two books by Suze Orman and am currently trying to learn as much as I can about foreign exchange currency and commodities trading.
He is on the radio. You may want to check on it. I listen to him while driving.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
I've been allergic to car notes for about 20 years now. and I love it.

are you?
Yup. Love it.

I haven't read all of the posts, so forgive if I am repeating...

But don't make the mistake I did. The last two cars I bought- one a high-end preowned and the last one a new car, don't pay with cash. Get a loan with no prepayment penalties and then pay off the loan. I paid for both by check (yes, they took my check!) and found out later that it contributed nothing to my credit score.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 PM

One of my friend's financed a $50K luxury car with no down. I think his interest was like 12%.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Library? People still do that?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
I'm allergic to buying cars in general, note or no note.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm allergic to buying cars in general, note or no note.
That's not a bad idea either, though most need a car to get around unless you live in a major metropolitan area. Most Americans don't realize that they are buying something that rapidly depreciates when they buy a new car, which is why buying used is a wiser choice in most instances.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Library? People still do that?
Funny! Yes I've always loved to read. When I started to tally all the $$ I spent on new books, I renewed my love of going to the library. occasionally I buy used books on Amazon as well if I just can't wait for the library to get a copy for me. I do download some books to my Iphone but I'm old school and prefer the actual book in hand.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Buying things to get a tax break is usually a pretty bad idea.
I am not suggesting purchasing a car to take a tax break. I am suggesting that purchasing a car over time can allow certain people the ability to maximize available tax breaks/deductions which have a finite amount allowed per year.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Funny! Yes I've always loved to read. When I started to tally all the $$ I spent on new books, I renewed my love of going to the library. occasionally I buy used books on Amazon as well if I just can't wait for the library to get a copy for me. I do download some books to my Iphone but I'm old school and prefer the actual book in hand.
They have Kindle for this and also the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living