Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
People make payments on cars??
Yes, because at the current time ROI in the market is much greater than interest rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 09:04 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I don't care about what anybody says -- the best one I ever heard about car buying was the loan rollover. Bought a car for 20K, paid on it for three years, fell in love with a 30K car, turned in the old car and rolled the old loan onto the new loan -- new loan was 40K.... three years later fell in love with another car for 45K, rolled the old loan (which is really plural as in loans!) into the new one.... now has a 65K car loan on a car that when it rolls off the lot will depreciate.....

I didn't even know they DID stuff like that.... what a racket! I almost wrecked my (bought for cash) car when I heard about this on the radio!
What's really sad is that it's not even uncommon. When I sold cars we had someone in probably once a week in a situation like that (in a town of less than 3000 people). What I never understood was why they thought rolling the loan this time was going to work out any better for them than it did the last time.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Then there's those old Model T's I see running around my hometown on occasion....
Did you see me running around last week?

The weather has been perfect so I started driving the 1930 Model A to work last week... some had never seen it even though I restored it back in the mid 80's...

The funny thing is 4 years of CA license fees totals more than the car cost new.

Haven't had any of the T's out for years... went non-op on most everything after the license fees increased.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,813,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Honda has the best engines. Too bad the rest of their car is crap quality.
Like what? There are no flaws.

Engine is the most important part.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Like what? There are no flaws.

Engine is the most important part.
Toyota and Mercedes have them beat on smoother transmissions.
Nissan, Mazda, Mercedes and BMW have them beat on ride and control.

Honda's leather is a piece of crap. Even Hyundai has better leather than a Honda Accord.

I'll give to Honda for having the most reliable engines... but that's less of a factor now as almost all engines will go 200,000 miles and most people don't keep cars that long.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Toyota and Mercedes have them beat on smoother transmissions.
Nissan, Mazda, Mercedes and BMW have them beat on ride and control.

Honda's leather is a piece of crap. Even Hyundai has better leather than a Honda Accord.

I'll give to Honda for having the most reliable engines... but that's less of a factor now as almost all engines will go 200,000 miles and most people don't keep cars that long.
Mercedez is a luxury car though.
Honda has the looks over Toyota.

I am into realiability, safety and peace of mind then status symbol.

My 1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan went up to 250K with fairly no big trouble and then I sold it. I now drive a 2005 Honda Accord LX SE, Coupe.

How long do you think people keep their cars?

Old 09-17-2011, 10:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:

My 1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan went up to 250K with fairly no big trouble and then I sold it. I now drive a 2005 Honda Accord LX SE, Coupe.

If they are like me... mostly forever

Still own my first, second, third and fourth car... bought the first when I was 12.

The big issue is/has been rust... for years, the Japanese cars were prone to rust... even Toyota had a huge frame recall due to rust.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
If they are like me... mostly forever

Still own my first, second, third and fourth car... bought the first when I was 12.

The big issue is/has been rust... for years, the Japanese cars were prone to rust... even Toyota had a huge frame recall due to rust.
12 years old? With you own money? You can't drive till you are 15 in USA though.

It will rust if you don't take care of it and/or live near waters.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:

Yes, Mercedes is a lux car. What's your point? I'll take my Mercedes over your Honda anyday. Ofcourse I won't keep it until 250k miles.

If you want to consider price, then Honda is a better value than Mercedes in terms of long term reliability. But then Ford is a better value than Honda. Sure, the Honda might be trouble free a little longer, but you pay a premium for the Honda name that kills the value.

People keep their cars between 3 and 7 years on average. Remember, I said "most" people do not keep their car above 200k. Majority of people want newer cars. You are the exception. Nothing wrong with that. Honda is fine for someone who wants to drive around an old car until it dies. But that's not how long most people keep their cars for. For the 3 to 7 year range, Honda's are not anymore reliable than the other big manufacturers out there.

It's subjective but in terms of looks I think Toyota ans Nissan both have Honda beat (except when you get into the subcompacts where Nissan looks like crap)

Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 AM

How are you comparable a modest car to a luxury one?

Ford maybe good American vehicles but they have too many issue. Too many repairs.

Honda also has the best resale value.

It would be a good idea to change cars if its causing too many problems and costing you arm and a leg.

Quote:
Yes, Mercedes is a lux car. What's your point?

I'll take my Mercedes over your Honda anyday. Ofcourse I won't keep it until 250k miles.

If you want to consider price, then Honda is a better value than Mercedes in terms of long term reliability. But then Ford is a better value than Honda. Sure, the Honda might be trouble free a little longer, but you pay a premium for the Honda name that kills the value.

People keep their cars between 3 and 7 years on average. Remember, I said "most" people do not keep their car above 200k. Majority of people want newer cars. You are the exception. Nothing wrong with that. Honda is fine for someone who wants to drive around an old car until it dies. But that's not how long most people keep their cars for. For the 3 to 7 year range, Honda's are not anymore reliable than the other big manufacturers out there.

It's subjective but in terms of looks I think Toyota ans Nissan both have Honda beat (except when you get into the subcompacts where Nissan looks like crap)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living