Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
How are you comparable a modest car to a luxury one?

Ford maybe good American vehicles but they have too many issue. Too many repairs.

Honda also has the best resale value.

It would be a good idea to change cars if its causing too many problems and costing you arm and a leg.
I compare whatever is available to buy. We've already agreed that Honda has reliable engines. Guess what... I'm buying more than an engine. I'm not going to put my complete ROI from a car purchase on the engine alone.

You underestimate how reliable the Ford Fusion is. Also, keep in mind that McGraw Hill and Consumer Reports both agree that the Nissan Altima is the most reliable sedan. Not the Honda Accord.

A good car to compare to the Honda Accord is the Hyundai Sonata. Cheaper, better quality interior, and just as reliable. Sure, you don't have the resale value... but after 250,000 miles, what resale value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 01:28 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I compare whatever is available to buy. We've already agreed that Honda has reliable engines. Guess what... I'm buying more than an engine. I'm not going to put my complete ROI from a car purchase on the engine alone.

You underestimate how reliable the Ford Fusion is. Also, keep in mind that McGraw Hill and Consumer Reports both agree that the Nissan Altima is the most reliable sedan. Not the Honda Accord.

A good car to compare to the Honda Accord is the Hyundai Sonata. Cheaper, better quality interior, and just as reliable. Sure, you don't have the resale value... but after 250,000 miles, what resale value?
Hondas can be compare to Toyotas.

Even though I am a Ford shareholder, you do know that Ford almost went bankrupt right?

Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Hondas can be compare to Toyotas.

Even though I am a Ford shareholder, you do know that Ford almost went bankrupt right?
That doesn't say anything about their cars. Anyways, I chose a better comparison than Ford. The Hyundai Sonata. Also the Nissan Altima (which I'll admit I own).

Old 09-18-2011, 01:57 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
12 years old? With you own money? You can't drive till you are 15 in USA though.

It will rust if you don't take care of it and/or live near waters.
I always had jobs... yard work, painting fences, etc... got my first real job at 12... had to get a work permit from the school district to be legal.

Bought a 1929 Model A for $1000. It was a basket case with some rebuilt parts like the engine... brought it home.

Father thought I was throwing my money away and Mom said at least I won't be running the streets and getting into trouble.

By the time I had my license, I was driving a 1957 Ford...

Always liked old cars and early Fords have a big following and parts are not too hard to obtain... later I branched out to more modern cars... Mustang, Camaro, Corvette and one really old car... 1905 Oldsmobile... still can't believe after a 100 years GM killed the brand.

In general, all of the cars have been really reliable and easy to maintain...

Probably the most troublesome car was my 91 S10 Chevy... seemed to be plagued with instrument panel problems... ended up selling it for a small profit after spending way too much time fixing all the little gremlins.

Biggest challenge is keeping everything inside and safe...

Never had a car note yet...

Old 09-18-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
That doesn't say anything about their cars. Anyways, I chose a better comparison than Ford. The Hyundai Sonata. Also the Nissan Altima (which I'll admit I own).
This means plunge in Sales but they did bounce back.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:59 AM

You have Classics. Aren't they worth a lot in Auctions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I always had jobs... yard work, painting fences, etc... got my first real job at 12... had to get a work permit from the school district to be legal.

Bought a 1929 Model A for $1000. It was a basket case with some rebuilt parts like the engine... brought it home.

Father thought I was throwing my money away and Mom said at least I won't be running the streets and getting into trouble.

By the time I had my license, I was driving a 1957 Ford...

Always liked old cars and early Fords have a big following and parts are not too hard to obtain... later I branched out to more modern cars... Mustang, Camaro, Corvette and one really old car... 1905 Oldsmobile... still can't believe after a 100 years GM killed the brand.

In general, all of the cars have been really reliable and easy to maintain...

Probably the most troublesome car was my 91 S10 Chevy... seemed to be plagued with instrument panel problems... ended up selling it for a small profit after spending way too much time fixing all the little gremlins.

Biggest challenge is keeping everything inside and safe...

Never had a car note yet...

Old 09-18-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
This means plunge in Sales but they did bounce back.
Yes, but it had nothing to do with their product. Also, Ford has the highest selling car.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, but it had nothing to do with their product. Also, Ford has the highest selling car.
In USA it is but not globally.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:40 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,883 times
I think car notes are usually a bad idea. But often the 0% - 1.99% rates are often better for tax planning purposes. Not to mention 2% should be way lower than what one could get in the markets. Especially if you are self-employed or have the option to put a large percentage of your income in tax advantaged savings vehicles, and having a large cash outlay in one year could cause issues with maximizing tax savings.

It depends on your personal situation but borrowing money at 1.99% is very rarely going to be a mistake, and if it is, the mistake is a tiny one.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
I think car notes are usually a bad idea. But often the 0% - 1.99% rates are often better for tax planning purposes. Not to mention 2% should be way lower than what one could get in the markets. Especially if you are self-employed or have the option to put a large percentage of your income in tax advantaged savings vehicles, and having a large cash outlay in one year could cause issues with maximizing tax savings.

It depends on your personal situation but borrowing money at 1.99% is very rarely going to be a mistake, and if it is, the mistake is a tiny one.
The problem with the 0-2% loans offered on the car notes is that generally, you end up paying MORE upfront for the vehicle. On several occasions, I have had friends refuse the 0% financing, asked for a lower price in lieu of the financing deal and get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living