Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 02:34 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Adding to my frustration, my little old house isn't plumbed for water from the door and an icemaker.... and the last couple of places the salespeople were aghast that I didn't want those.

But it looks like it's the Sears Outlet for us! Maybe they deliver now...
The new Frigidaire we bought two weeks ago does not have icemaker. We purposely wanted it that way. We bought ours at a Sears-inside-KMart location. The model was not sold at the store, the salesperson found it for us from the store's computer. Took him an hour from the time we told him what we needed to the time we paid the cashier.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Purchasing one time high ticket items does not bother me. You can always save to buy appliances. Sometimes we need a little luxury in our lives.

However, I do not understand why people pay $700 hundred a month for a car they will never own.
It's to enjoy it. There's not much enjoyment in having an enormous amount of cash sitting in the bank unless someone actually defines their self-worthiness by how much money they have. The result of being frugal is to have money to spend on enjoyment of life.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Those ar enot shoes. They are boots. Hiking boots do reqruie technology and a good pair costs a bit (Running shoes too) I was referring to everyday shoes. I was being a bit facetious. Even at Payless or DSW you will pay 440 for a cedent pair of shoes now days. I still expect to find them for $20 becuase I used to be able to find plenty of decent shoes for $20
I buy boots at Walmart.....pretty good ones for about 25 bucks.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I was just thinking that I'd like to have a snow machine for the yard, but the economy has me spooked.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
If someone "needs" the new, they "will" buy it. That is the "keeping up" mentality.

Not always. Sometimes people just like to buy new things once in a while. From time to time, I may choose to buy a new [insert product here] even if it is just because I want to, not because I need to. If I do, I am buying that item for me - not to impress or "keep up" with anyone else. But I know people like to attribute the "keeping up" label to others who spend their disposable income in a certain way.

For example, we are currently shopping for a new sofa for our media room. The one we currently have is about 7 years old - no rips in it, it is still functional (i.e. one can sit on it) but we just do not like the style anymore and want something a bit larger and more lounge-y and cushy. Has nothing to do with keeping up with anyone, we just want something new and improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I hope they at least donate the appliances to someone who will be happy to have them.

I would either donate the old item or possibly sell the old item (depending on what it is and what its value is). I certainly would not just put it out on the curb for someone to steal for their own personal use.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Not always. Sometimes people just like to buy new things once in a while. From time to time, I may choose to buy a new [insert product here] even if it is just because I want to, not because I need to. If I do, I am buying that item for me - not to impress or "keep up" with anyone else. But I know people like to attribute the "keeping up" label to others who spend their disposable income in a certain way.

For example, we are currently shopping for a new sofa for our media room. The one we currently have is about 7 years old - no rips in it, it is still functional (i.e. one can sit on it) but we just do not like the style anymore and want something a bit larger and more lounge-y and cushy. Has nothing to do with keeping up with anyone, we just want something new and improved.

I would either donate the old item or possibly sell the old item (depending on what it is and what its value is). I certainly would not just put it out on the curb for someone to steal for their own personal use.

We have a Habitat for Humanity store here in our town and they used to get tons of used appliances and anything you'd need to rehab a house. Since the real estate 'dump' they haven't been getting nearly as much stuff. I guess not so many people are redoing their homes anymore. I don't see much set out by the curb anymore either and what I do see I wouldn't bother to pick up. Seems to be mostly broken down couches and chairs.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
I'm one of those who buys new items just because the old ones dont match. I also replace merchandise for reasons that many would think frivolous.

I'm not wealthy, although I do have some disposable income. However, I live simply and dont travel or spend money on hobbies, etc. My small house was paid off 20+ years ago and my wonderful 14.5-year old Jeep was paid off 10+ years ago. So I dont feel at all guilty about buying new things for the house or car, even if these new things arent necessary.

There was a discussion here, not too long ago, about the difference between being frugal and feeling deprived. My feeling is that life is too short to deprive myself of the few things that I enjoy, if I can afford to buy them without going into debt.

And I dont sell the old merchandise either -- I just give it away. Even if the chance of being a crime victim as a result of placing an ad on craigslist or the local newspaper is small, I dont want to risk it. So, if none of my family or neighbors wants my old-but-still-in-great-shape stuff, I put it out on the curb, where someone always picks it up within minutes.

Last edited by TFW46; 03-19-2012 at 11:08 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

A $5000 bike would be something I'd considered excessive but if it makes you happy, why not? My Macbook cost more than a grand but it's absolutely necessary for work and I love it!

Another thing I thought of that amazes me is people who spend a grand or more on designer LUGGAGE. WHY?! They do realize their luggage in thrown on the plane just like all the other bags right?! Just because it has an LV on it doesn't mean it's cared for more...
No but it is made by hand to last.I sometimes deal in vintage LV and it wears very well-looks chic too. I would never check a hard sided LV case though-that's for private jets and I am a coach passenger

Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
You know you are living "frugal" when...

I was at the store checkout line, flipping thru a magazine...the article was "How to Save Money"...okay...
1. Reduce cable bill-check, I don't have cable.
2. Buy cheaper food--check, I eat Ramen. Take it for lunch.

Anyway, this whole article was full of "tips"...all of which I do without anyway. I should have written the article. It would start with "Never buy anything new"

Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Maybe they sold their other appliances and put the money towards the new ones?? Or donated and are using the tax breaks??

You never know what people are really doing so stop hating on others and worry about your own life and no one elses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living