Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 AM

304 posts, read 617,801 times

Advertisements

My friend is buying a house and plans on "getting rid of" the existing appliances because they are "green" and they don't like the color . The appliances are in perfect working order.

My mom got rid of a perfectly functioning dryer and bought a new one because it "matched" her new washing machine (that had broken).

Another friend spent her last remaining dollars painting her kitchen because it was "yellow" and she couldn't "take it anymore". She was unemployed at the time and hired someone to do this.

These are not rich people by any means. I guess I just can't relate. There are weeks I can't even go to the grocery store and I see things like this and I guess it's just hard to comprehend. Does anyone else feel this way?

If I had that kind of money, I think I would just put it in savings or a matching 401K or something. I would never get rid of something expensive because of the color.

Last edited by 1brokegirl; 03-15-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 03-15-2012, 07:34 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Well, our "rule", for the most part, is not to replace things that are still functional.

This is the second house we've bought but before this we were renters for a really long time (12 years) so I think we've just kinda gotten used to living with thigns that we might not have picked out ourselves...

Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
You cannot relate because you don't have disposable income. These people have reached the point where they need everything to match. So they make sure those needs are met. You're still at the point where you need to eat. So you're making sure your needs to eat are met.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You cannot relate because you don't have disposable income. These people have reached the point where they need everything to match. So they make sure those needs are met. You're still at the point where you need to eat. So you're making sure your needs to eat are met.
Not necessarily true. These people may just have a credit card that hasn't maxed out or a line of credit. They may "need" to have matching appliances in their life because that is a way of feeling like they have some order or control. They may just feel entitled whether they can afford it or not. I would really question using "need" when talking about matching appliances. We all pay more for those that feel entitled and can't afford it.

And, the friend that bought paint with her last few dollars, well, that was one thing she could do, control, just not having to put up with the one thing with the all the rest of the things out of her control could make a really positive and desperately needed plus in her life.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Not necessarily true. These people may just have a credit card that hasn't maxed out or a line of credit. They may "need" to have matching appliances in their life because that is a way of feeling like they have some order or control. They may just feel entitled whether they can afford it or not. I would really question using "need" when talking about matching appliances. We all pay more for those that feel entitled and can't afford it.

And, the friend that bought paint with her last few dollars, well, that was one thing she could do, control, just not having to put up with the one thing with the all the rest of the things out of her control could make a really positive and desperately needed plus in her life.
Fair enough. Forget my statement about having disposable income since that implies that they could afford it... and that was not my intention. The rest is probably still true. These people have met their need of having food on the table thus they have reached the need of having matching appliances.

Why do you question using the word "need"?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
My friend is buying a house and plans on "getting rid of" the existing appliances because they are "green" and they don't like the color . The appliances are in perfect working order.

My mom got rid of a perfectly functioning dryer and bought a new one because it "matched" her new washing machine (that had broken).

Another friend spent her last remaining dollars painting her kitchen because it was "yellow" and she couldn't "take it anymore". She was unemployed at the time and hired someone to do this.

These are not rich people by any means. I guess I just can't relate. There are weeks I can't even go to the grocery store and I see things like this and I guess it's just hard to comprehend. Does anyone else feel this way?

If I had that kind of money, I think I would just put it in savings or a matching 401K or something. I would never get rid of something expensive because of the color.
Reminds me of some articles I read about reinstalling the OS on computers where the author says you don't need to throw away the computer, try reinstalling the US per his instructions.

REALLY?

Do people throw away computers the power up fine but have corrupt software?

Back to the subject..

Even if they are that picky about having matching dryers, I can understand. Couldn't she just sell the ones she doesn't like on Craigslist? I'm sure many people will be willing to buy them for cheap. Sending those perfectly working dryers to the landfill is an injustice.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 AM

307 posts, read 631,267 times
I generally don't replace anything until it is broken, but I do understand someone with extra money spending $400-$500 to make things match. What I usually do instead is to just buy the replacement one that matches what we already have. We are currently replacing our roof and are spending an extra $400 so that the new snowbirds match the roof color. However the total price is still within our roof budget.

The thing that I don't understand is the huge vehicle expenses that some people borrow money to afford. I understand a vehicle needing to meet certain criteria, like number of passengers, cargo space and possibly 4 wheel drive in mountainous areas. However some people will spend an extra $20K-$30K over what they need and then have to finance it.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,706,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

True on that last point.

But the truth is also that many people are doing just fine financially these days and can afford to make choices such as this. And many can afford to purchase things they "want" (as opposed to only things they "need") and still be leaving well within (or even below) their means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
And your point is...? Why do you care how others choose to spend their money?

Personally, if I bought a new house and appliances like the fridge, W/D, oven were green or yellow or some such color, I would probably replace them too.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,372,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
True on that last point.

Personally, if I bought a new house and appliances like the fridge, W/D, oven were green or yellow or some such color, I would probably replace them too.
Most people would do this today, if they had the money to swing it. Especially when you buy your own house, you want to make it nice. If you are living week to week and have absolutely no disposable income, then you just have to live with it. What I would do in that case is go to Home Depot and spend $50 on some white appliance spray paint, and spray paint all the appliances white.
That will look 100% better. Or second choice would be to take a little time and pick up a used white oven, refrig etc., from someone remodeling their house. People are putting in stainless steel when they remodel, so often times they are getting rid of perfectly good looking appliances just because they want stainless.

I agree, if you don't have the money, buying all new appliances could be an irresponsible move, when their are other alternatives

Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
I'd agree that purchasing brand-new appliances when you're living paycheck-to-paycheck is highly irresponsible, but if one can afford to replace working-condition appliances with ones that are new and match, I see no problem.

Frankly I'm truly not amazed anymore at what people will spend money on. There are NUMEROUS things that I would question why a person would spend X amount of money on but if they receive some type of enjoyment from that item, I guess it's not my place to say anything. I'm sure I spend money on things that others would probably be shocked at but I'm also not living above my means.

A few things that DO shock me that some drop some serious money on are:

Haircuts (especially for men). I've heard of men spending in excess of $200 on a salon-styled haircut. This, to me, is completely and utterly asinine. I have a hard time paying $15 for a trim, a $200 haircut would probably send me into cardiac arrest.

Books- I've been to high-end bookstores and have seen 1st editions of famous works going for tens of thousands of dollars! I absolutely see no value in this, why would you want a 300 year old book that costs $50,000 when you can buy the same thing for $19.95. I guess I can see if the book is personally SIGNED by Ernest Hemingway or someone famous but just for the actual BOOK?! NO WAY!

Jeans- (especially men). Why does a guy need a $200 pair of blue jeans?! I understand buying high-end clothing that'll last for years and years but blue jeans can be had for $30 or $40 and will last for years and years! I buy Wranglers and Levis, all of which look brand new, and cost about $40 each. What's the appeal of bluejeans that cost hundreds of dollars and might last HALF the number of years than a pair of Wranglers?! Don't get it...

3D Televisions- They cost in excess of $2000 each and offer a mediocre 3D experience at BEST, not to mention giving me a headache. Technology improves every day, why do some insist on buying the most HIGH END technology only for it to be outdated in 6 months?! Five years ago, a PLASMA tv would cost $3000, not the same television can be had for less than $500. Why buy the best technology right when it comes out?!

I really could go on but these are a few of things I question why people spend gobs of money on...

Anyone care to add to the list of what amazes you that people spend money on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living