Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:13 PM

541 posts, read 861,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
My friend is buying a house and plans on "getting rid of" the existing appliances because they are "green" and they don't like the color . The appliances are in perfect working order.

My mom got rid of a perfectly functioning dryer and bought a new one because it "matched" her new washing machine (that had broken).

Another friend spent her last remaining dollars painting her kitchen because it was "yellow" and she couldn't "take it anymore". She was unemployed at the time and hired someone to do this.
I agree about the "matching" issue. I've held on to appliances for the longest time, even if they were a rusted shade of brown, just because they still worked well. I did save up money to get a black matching kitchen set, but I was waiting for a long time and putting up with the old crap until it died. I would feel guilty if I put a working machine in a landfill just because I didn't like the color. I get that not everyone is that way, but I try to fill as few landfills as possible.

I'm amazed that people spend lots of money on DVD's and CD's so they can own them "forever". Once I've seen a movie (Netflix or Theatre) I don't want to see it again. I look at it like borrowing a book from the library. I enjoyed it and I'm glad to return it so someone else can share in the joy.

Most songs I've heard on the radio enough times that I don't feel I want to buy them. I have friends who argue with me that it's "important" to support the Artists (don't get me started on expensive concert tickets!) and that Movies have value when "collected". I can't see the point of it and find it very wasteful financially, but I won't tell them that!

Last edited by Tantamount; 03-15-2012 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Well -- a green fridge to me says those appliances haven't been replaced since the 1960's.... the energy savings alone would pay out in the long run -- especially the fridge. When we got rid of our old fridge (from the same era) our electric went down 10 bucks a month. (Getting rid of the water bed saved us another 15....)
This makes sense. I replaced a water heater that really needed to go and afterwards my gas bills went down significantly.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Quote:
I guess I just was wondering if so many years of living paycheck to paycheck had put me in an usual mindset about things like that - it just seems like such a collossal waste of money - but you are right, it's not my problem. I was just curious....
Some people do not have goals and live for today. Some want to pretend they are rich.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
There are people who will buy $2,000 Trims for their cars and then be short on rent the next month lol

Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. Even if I had their disposable income, I would not get rid of functional appliances due to color. But I see that from these posts I am clearly in the minority - but that's okay - I appreciate the responses.
so you currently have no disposable income? if you really are very short on money, i cant just believe this. im not saying you arent being honest (to the best of your knowledge), but my wife used to say similar type of stuff. when we were in school, she had very little money to spend. then she didnt see why people would spend all that money in fancy stores and on fancy brands. she said stuff like "even if i had money i wouldnt buy that." now that she has money to spend, she is singing a different tune. she will spend as much as i allow her to spend and she would prefer the fancier name brand always. my brother has a girlfriend who also has a similar story. he thinks she is so happy with a nice gift, nothing too flashy or name brand centric. there is no way that will continue if they are married. no matter how much either of them may think it will.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Avacado green appliances appeared in 1970's so the appliances were 42 years old.

In the 70’s, styles changed and “Harvest Gold” and “Avocado Green” were popular shades. In the 70’s we saw “Harvest Gold” and “Avocado Green” refrigerators, small appliances, carpets, furniture, walls, and more! We couldn’t get enough of it.

Choosing the Right Color for your Home Decor

I think the old appliances are neat though. I would try to keep its original color and have it repaired.

I realize nobody probrobly has an avacado green kitchen but funky styles are in !
You forgot about the Coppertone!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM

304 posts, read 617,449 times
When I got sick and was in treatment, I saw a lot of people lose their homes and jobs because they either had no insurance and had to pay for treatment or they lost their jobs when they began treatment (yup, this happens - they just don't give that as the reason for your termination) - so it made me realize how lucky I was to still have my job and health insurance and if I ever did "come into money", I sure as H*** would not spend it on replacing perfectly functioning appliances. Oftentimes, these are the people that have no savings and then their rainy day comes and they have no money.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I realize nobody probrobly has an avacado green kitchen but funky styles are in !
i dont think funky styles are in around here. there maybe some individuals that like funky thing, but i dont think thats the norm.

my wife is big on "modern" stuff. i think thats how it is in the shows selling la and selling new york, so it seems to be making modern more popular.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I sure am glad that I wasted $1500 on such a cool stove (that cooks food in exactly the same way as a $200 whirlpool stove). I think those things now cost about $5,000! Having had one, I can assure you that they cood food no better than a $200 Whirlpool (or $50 used or at an auction). IN fact, our whirlpool stove works better.
Loved your story! Thank you for letting me know that the Whirlpool stove works better! Mine's a Whirlpool (only one they had in Black) and I couldn't imagine plunking down $5K for a stove.

I wish these guys who haul away good stuff would consider donating the items to homeless shelters. My boyfriend helps run one and he tells me that every donation they get they feel blessed and grateful to have!

Last edited by Tantamount; 03-15-2012 at 06:29 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sure, they live in cheap apartments or section 8 housing, some are on food stamps, they buy stuff on lay-a-way system and pawn their stuff in pawn shops. Obviously they do not want to save money to ever get better than that... They don't own anything and it seems that they will never do.
Not always the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Again, not a justification: we don't have LV luggage, but all of our Bally, Cole Haan, and Ferragamo luggage are carry-ons, and they still look good after hundreds of trips abroad.
And they will for a very long time. About 10yrs ago, I was lucky enough to buy an LV steamer trunk from 1916 for a KILLER deal (less than a grand!), and I still have it, and use it in our bedroom for extra blankets and sheets and stuff. It is used practically daily and almost 100yrs old, and still works perfectly. We also bought an old 1909 Taylor trunk the same day for a great deal, and it's at the end of the kiddo's bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I was looking at Heartland and Elmira stoves which at the time were in the $3000 price range.
I love Heartland stoves. My Dad bought one a few years back when his house flooded and he needed to remodel, and it's AWESOME!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living