Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

so im supposed to have ugly appliances just because the ugly appliance works? hmmm, i dont think so. if i was struggling to make ends meet, i wouldnt have much choice and id keep the working appliance. i guess id also have to try to find a house that has appliances that meet my taste. i am not struggling, so ill get rid of a working appliance in favor of something more attractive.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
You can be as "amazed" as you want to be ... and their priorities of "needs" and "wants" may not necessarily be yours ....

but the bottom line is that's their freedom of choice to spend their money ... however affluent or not they are ... when, where, and how they see fit to do so.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I observed this: people that have very little or no money spend the most. Our floor workers that make minimum wages go out to lunch everyday. They have fresh made nails, new clothes every so often. They go to drink 2-3 times a week. Their husbands and boyfriends that also make just about minimum wages send them often humongous flower arrangements that cost $100+
People in a management positions eat home cooked food, don't spend money on drinks, do not look fashionable or get flowers for no reason. ( the flower thing is a big show off in my opinion. The floor workers do not have any space to put them on, so the flowers are moved from counter to counter, and threw out before they wilt - what a waste of money!!)
All I always hear is: I work and I deserve it!! I want it - life is short!!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
I'm amazed that anyone would spend money on overpriced designer purses, clothes, shoes. Right up there is also vehicles, particularly Hummvees. For city driving???? It's laughable. If people have so much money to throw away, it is indeed a sad thing that they don't donate some of that cash to the arts, charities, etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I'm amazed that anyone would spend money on overpriced designer purses, clothes, shoes. Right up there is also vehicles, particularly Hummvees. For city driving???? It's laughable. If people have so much money to throw away, it is indeed a sad thing that they don't donate some of that cash to the arts, charities, etc.
They spend the money on those things to satisfy a need. Once lower needs are met, higher needs are taken care of.

If they donated all their money to a charity, they're supporting a cause. If they put the money back into the economy buy purchasing goods, they're supporting the economy, and empowering others to donate as well. It really doesn't matter if they spend the money on clothing or donate to a charity. Both are equally good as long as the money keeps moving. It's when money sits still that is problematic.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:45 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
They spend the money on those things to satisfy a need. Once lower needs are met, higher needs are taken care of.

If they donated all their money to a charity, they're supporting a cause. If they put the money back into the economy buy purchasing goods, they're supporting the economy, and empowering others to donate as well. It really doesn't matter if they spend the money on clothing or donate to a charity. Both are equally good as long as the money keeps moving. It's when money sits still that is problematic.
Agree. Obviously one needs to save money but I don't agree with hoarding it. Never spending a dime isn't good, at least invest it or something; keep the economy moving in the right direction. Our recession was so prolonged because everyone was afraid to put out their money and was simply hoarding it, thankfully everything is starting to pick back up again.

Quote:
Well...I wouldn't say designer goods are necessarily overpriced. Designer clothing/purses/shoes are a luxury good which is its very essence is supposed to be an item of desire that not everyone can simply walk into a store and purchase cheaply. Quality usually runs parallel to price until you reach the tipping point where the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in. There's a tremendous difference in quality from a $20 Walmart purse and a coach purse, simply touch the materials used and notice the details, to some it's worth the price and to others it isn't. Clothing is one thing I don't believe in cheaping out on especially if it'll last years and still look excellent. Cheap clothing doesn't last.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Well -- a green fridge to me says those appliances haven't been replaced since the 1960's.... the energy savings alone would pay out in the long run -- especially the fridge. When we got rid of our old fridge (from the same era) our electric went down 10 bucks a month. (Getting rid of the water bed saved us another 15....)

Old 03-15-2012, 11:42 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
My friend is buying a house and plans on "getting rid of" the existing appliances because they are "green" and they don't like the color . The appliances are in perfect working order.

My mom got rid of a perfectly functioning dryer and bought a new one because it "matched" her new washing machine (that had broken).
I personally LOVE those type of people. Since I can buy it for MUCH cheaper or sometimes free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Do people throw away computers the power up fine but have corrupt software?

Back to the subject..
Yup, some do. That's where a friend of mine comes in. He gets those PC's all day long for free or close to free, and then re-furbs them and sells them at a local pawn shop on commission (he gets around 75% I think), it's enough to pay for all his toys and bills each month.

[quote=SpeedyAZ;23417643]
Haircuts (especially for men)

Me either. My hair is my most babied feature on me, and I still go get it cut at the local beauty college for $7, plus a $3 tip. They know me so well in there now, they know exactly what to do. Not to mention it gives me warm fuzzies knowing if the students can give me a good hair cut, and I'm super stupid picky, then they will be just fine when they graduate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Books- I've been to high-end bookstores and have seen 1st editions of famous works going for tens of thousands of dollars! I absolutely see no value in this, why would you want a 300 year old book that costs $50,000 when you can buy the same thing for $19.95. I guess I can see if the book is personally SIGNED by Ernest Hemingway or someone famous but just for the actual BOOK?! NO WAY!
I can't relate with this one, since I am a die hard biblophile. I have a few autographed 1st eds, and yes I have copies of those to read instead of the expensive books. I just love books. I don't mind spending money on books.

Quote:
Jeans- (especially men). Why does a guy need a $200 pair of blue jeans?! I understand buying high-end clothing that'll last for years and years but blue jeans can be had for $30 or $40 and will last for years and years! I buy Wranglers and Levis, all of which look brand new, and cost about $40 each. What's the appeal of bluejeans that cost hundreds of dollars and might last HALF the number of years than a pair of Wranglers?! Don't get it...
I don't get it either, I buy clothes at thrift stores and sometimes at TJMaxx or Marshall's or sometimes in the mall on extreme clearance, but never full price, and certainly not for $200!!!!

Quote:
3D Televisions- They cost in excess of $2000 each and offer a mediocre 3D experience at BEST, not to mention giving me a headache. Technology improves every day, why do some insist on buying the most HIGH END technology only for it to be outdated in 6 months?! Five years ago, a PLASMA tv would cost $3000, not the same television can be had for less than $500. Why buy the best technology right when it comes out?!
3D tv is stupid IMO, gives me a headache too. Not to mention, I don't think the quality is as good ya know? We just bought a new one a while back and pay $500 for it (it was originally around $800) and it's one of the best tv's we have owned. But it's not a 3d, it's an LCD LG 46" with 1080 and 120hz (I have NO idea what that stuff means, hubby was insistand on that stuff though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I observed this: people that have very little or no money spend the most. Our floor workers that make minimum wages go out to lunch everyday. They have fresh made nails, new clothes every so often. They go to drink 2-3 times a week. Their husbands and boyfriends that also make just about minimum wages send them often humongous flower arrangements that cost $100+
Maybe they have a cheaper cost of living and can readily afford those things? Cheap rent and bills, and cheap food bill, etc...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People in a management positions eat home cooked food, don't spend money on drinks, do not look fashionable or get flowers for no reason. ( the flower thing is a big show off in my opinion. The floor workers do not have any space to put them on, so the flowers are moved from counter to counter, and threw out before they wilt - what a waste of money!!)
All I always hear is: I work and I deserve it!! I want it - life is short!!
Reverse of this, is that most people in mgmt have mortgages and nicer cars, and pay more monthly in expenses, so they don't have the same amt of income left over?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Haircuts (especially for men). I've heard of men spending in excess of $200 on a salon-styled haircut. This, to me, is completely and utterly asinine. I have a hard time paying $15 for a trim, a $200 haircut would probably send me into cardiac arrest.
I spend $12 on mine. Same lady has been cutting it since 2001.
Quote:

Books- I've been to high-end bookstores and have seen 1st editions of famous works going for tens of thousands of dollars! I absolutely see no value in this, why would you want a 300 year old book that costs $50,000 when you can buy the same thing for $19.95. I guess I can see if the book is personally SIGNED by Ernest Hemingway or someone famous but just for the actual BOOK?! NO WAY!
I buy my books on Amazon or B&N.
Quote:

Jeans- (especially men). Why does a guy need a $200 pair of blue jeans?! I understand buying high-end clothing that'll last for years and years but blue jeans can be had for $30 or $40 and will last for years and years! I buy Wranglers and Levis, all of which look brand new, and cost about $40 each. What's the appeal of bluejeans that cost hundreds of dollars and might last HALF the number of years than a pair of Wranglers?! Don't get it...
I wear Diesel jeans. Those can run from $160 to $800. I settle around the $300 price range. It's a fashion thing.
Quote:

3D Televisions- They cost in excess of $2000 each and offer a mediocre 3D experience at BEST, not to mention giving me a headache. Technology improves every day, why do some insist on buying the most HIGH END technology only for it to be outdated in 6 months?! Five years ago, a PLASMA tv would cost $3000, not the same television can be had for less than $500. Why buy the best technology right when it comes out?!
I have 2D? TV that cost me more than $2000 about a year ago. I don't replace my TV often, so I get to depreciate it over a long period of time.
Quote:

I really could go on but these are a few of things I question why people spend gobs of money on...

Anyone care to add to the list of what amazes you that people spend money on?
What do you expect people to do with their money? They aren't going to take it with them when they die.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
I am amazed at what people spend money on. $50,000 SUV, $3000 TV, $1000 computer, etc.

People probably look at the $800 bike I just bought and say that I could buy a "perfectly good" bike at a big blue box store for $79.

But I don't blink at someone spending $5000 for a custom made titanium bicycle. I knew at least 3 people, close friends, who have. They ride a lot.

Now someone spending $5000 for a carbon fiber bicycle? Not the same. A titanium bike frame is nearly indistructible and will last 200 years. Carbon fiber is more fragile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living