Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I realize that everyone has different needs and wants and has to make choices on where their money goes. But it peeves me when the neighbor directly across the street buys a huge HD 3D TV but can't seem to buy a $35 gal. of paint to use on his front steps and porch and trim around the windows.
Maybe he cannot live without the 3D TV but loves the rusty look of the porch!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Again, not a justification: we don't have LV luggage, but all of our Bally, Cole Haan, and Ferragamo luggage are carry-ons, and they still look good after hundreds of trips abroad.
Nothing wrong with those brands. I have some.

$20.00 at Salvation Army.

$50 at Goodwill.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I aspire to have a Patek watch but I'm sure many would find spending $40K+ on a watch to be a waste. What some value, others think is the biggest waste of money. We each have our own indulgences though.
so you would spend 40k+ on a watch but it shocks you that a woman would spend 1k piece of luggage. that seems a like an inconsistent thought process.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
My friend is buying a house and plans on "getting rid of" the existing appliances because they are "green" and they don't like the color . The appliances are in perfect working order.

My mom got rid of a perfectly functioning dryer and bought a new one because it "matched" her new washing machine (that had broken).

Another friend spent her last remaining dollars painting her kitchen because it was "yellow" and she couldn't "take it anymore". She was unemployed at the time and hired someone to do this.

These are not rich people by any means. I guess I just can't relate. There are weeks I can't even go to the grocery store and I see things like this and I guess it's just hard to comprehend. Does anyone else feel this way?

If I had that kind of money, I think I would just put it in savings or a matching 401K or something. I would never get rid of something expensive because of the color.
Where we used to live, our neighbors replaced their living room furniture with new. The furniture store offered to card away their "old" stuff. While the furniture was out in their front yard, I took a look at it and it looked NEW. When I asked her why they were getting new furniture, she said that the old stuff was about 4 years old and she was tired of it.

Last year I replaced my sofa with a USED one. Before doing this I had purchased my old sofa in 1984 as a return from a "rent to own furniture" store. It cost $135 at the time. I figure I got my money's worth since I used it for more than 26 years. LOL

I come from the school of "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without". Except for my one single weakness of technology , I cannot see replacing something that is still functional.

Personally, I LOVE the retro look of a "Harvest Gold" or "Avocado" kitchen appliance or a pink or turquoise bathroom fixture. There is an ambiance to flocked wall paper that cannot be denied! LOL

Hey if people want to throw their money away replacing perfectly good furniture and appliances, I'm all for it. But I'll keep my old faithfuls until such time as they die of old age.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Avacado green appliances appeared in 1970's so the appliances were 42 years old.

In the 70’s, styles changed and “Harvest Gold” and “Avocado Green” were popular shades. In the 70’s we saw “Harvest Gold” and “Avocado Green” refrigerators, small appliances, carpets, furniture, walls, and more! We couldn’t get enough of it.

Choosing the Right Color for your Home Decor

I think the old appliances are neat though. I would try to keep its original color and have it repaired.

I realize nobody probrobly has an avacado green kitchen but funky styles are in !

Old 03-15-2012, 03:27 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
My friend is buying a house and plans on "getting rid of" the existing appliances because they are "green" and they don't like the color . The appliances are in perfect working order.

My mom got rid of a perfectly functioning dryer and bought a new one because it "matched" her new washing machine (that had broken).

Another friend spent her last remaining dollars painting her kitchen because it was "yellow" and she couldn't "take it anymore". She was unemployed at the time and hired someone to do this.

These are not rich people by any means. I guess I just can't relate. There are weeks I can't even go to the grocery store and I see things like this and I guess it's just hard to comprehend. Does anyone else feel this way?

If I had that kind of money, I think I would just put it in savings or a matching 401K or something. I would never get rid of something expensive because of the color.
It's just you. You're a broke girl.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 PM

304 posts, read 617,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You cannot relate because you don't have disposable income. These people have reached the point where they need everything to match. So they make sure those needs are met. You're still at the point where you need to eat. So you're making sure your needs to eat are met.
I have to respectfully disagree. Even if I had their disposable income, I would not get rid of functional appliances due to color. But I see that from these posts I am clearly in the minority - but that's okay - I appreciate the responses.

Last edited by 1brokegirl; 03-15-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I observed this: people that have very little or no money spend the most. Our floor workers that make minimum wages go out to lunch everyday. They have fresh made nails, new clothes every so often. They go to drink 2-3 times a week. Their husbands and boyfriends that also make just about minimum wages send them often humongous flower arrangements that cost $100+
People in a management positions eat home cooked food, don't spend money on drinks, do not look fashionable or get flowers for no reason. ( the flower thing is a big show off in my opinion. The floor workers do not have any space to put them on, so the flowers are moved from counter to counter, and threw out before they wilt - what a waste of money!!)
All I always hear is: I work and I deserve it!! I want it - life is short!!
Where I work, it is the opposite. The minimum wage earners eat the most free cafeteria food, often trying to take some home (it's not very good food, but perhaps the only meal they get all day sometimes). They take advantage of our employers free bus passes since they have no car. Most of them have declined our health coverage since they cannot afford it, or their names are the ones on the cheaper plan with less coverage.

The higher wage workers dress very nicely, wearing new clothes often. The get their hair professionally colored and take luxurious vacations. They eat at ______(famous steakhouse nearby $$$) often. Their names are on our most expensive health plan and they drive Lexus, Audi and one has a Jag.

So, no, people who make less money do not spend the most. How would that even be possible?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,675 times
Lot of people do that, that is why they are broke. This isn't your problem. Let them suffer.

Quote:

Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Lot of people do that, that is why they are broke. This isn't your problem. Let them suffer.
I guess I just was wondering if so many years of living paycheck to paycheck had put me in an usual mindset about things like that - it just seems like such a collossal waste of money - but you are right, it's not my problem. I was just curious....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living