Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Or Mortgage.
Outright means no mortgage. It's paid off. I've been living in my home for 6 years already! Kissed that mortgage goodbye in January.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
bs
You can call science BS if you want. To each their own.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A want is a need. It's a different level of need. You should read Abraham Maslow's work on needs. This type of need would fall somewhere between need of acceptance and self actualization. Possible need of achievement.

You can see it however you want, but I'll stick to the research scientists that have done extensive research in this area.
Nice try with Maslow and good job at flagrantly failing to understand his theory. Also good job at being ignorant of the fact that Maslow's pyramid of needs is a theory and not empirical research. He was a theoretician not a researcher and he theorized on human motivation.

Now ...do do you think anyone will reach "self-actualization" and the other lofty needs Maslow talked about by...changing appliances so they can be color matched?

That is not a need Maslow talked about.
That is just dumb, frivolous consumerism and people looking for self-actualization in the wrongest place possible.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
You can call science BS if you want. To each their own.
What you just slapped the "science" label on - IS NOT science.
It is you misunderstanding Maslow's theory.

A WANT is not a NEED.

Need to feel useful? Yes
Need to contribute/make a difference? Yes.
Need to feel loved/part of a community, etc? Yes.

These are the kind of things Maslow was talking about when he identified those needs above the physical level.

Need to have matching appliances? Not even a chance!

Just because many people end up perceiving/experiencing some wants as absolute needs does not make those objects of desire A real NEED.

Your beloved studies have shown that humans who don't receive love/touch/community integration etc can actually end up in ill health.

There is no study under the sun that will find decline in health as a result of not being able to have matching appliances. Unless the person is mentally deranged to begin with.

I know it's hard for you to accept it, but get back down to Earth. Then insert "matching appliances" at any of the levels below.
I didn't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Maslow

Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Nice try with Maslow and good job at flagrantly failing to understand his theory. Also good job at being ignorant of the fact that Maslow's pyramid of needs is a theory and not empirical research. He was a theoretician not a researcher and he theorized on human motivation.

Now ...do do you think anyone will reach "self-actualization" and the other lofty needs Maslow talked about by...changing appliances so they can be color matched?

That is not a need Maslow talked about.
That is just dumb, frivolous consumerism and people looking for self-actualization in the wrongest place possible.
I didn't say anything about Maslow's pyramid. Maslow's pyramid is a piece of garbage. It's not even his. It's someone else's interpretation of his work.

To answer your question, it's not possible to reach self-actualization as a result of buying goods. That proposal of yours just makes no sense. To reach self-actualization, you would have to be happy with everything you have and not want more for yourself. People like Bill Gates and Warren buffet fit into this category -- if anyone.

This scenario would fall into achievement if anything... if we're looking at that stupid pyramid.

All this aside, however.... if someone wants matching appliances and is accomplished enough to be able to afford them... why not? What's the point of saving millions in the bank by working hard and being frugal and never spending it?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
All this aside, however.... if someone wants matching appliances and is accomplished enough to be able to afford them... why not? What's the point of saving millions in the bank by working hard and being frugal and never spending it?
So...how exactly did we get to this???

I never said she shouldn't! If she affords her wants, she can have her wants.

It's just that you're not going to get away with equating "matching appliances" with NEED.
That's all.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
So...how exactly did we get to this???

I never said she shouldn't! If she affords her wants, she can have her wants.

It's just that you're not going to get away with equating "matching appliances" with NEED.
That's all.
Everyone has a need to be satisfied on all different levels. If we want to break "wants" outside of "needs"... then no one needs shoes, toilet paper, etc. Those are all wants.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I didn't say anything about Maslow's pyramid. Maslow's pyramid is a piece of garbage.
Quote:
You should read Abraham Maslow's work on needs. This type of need would fall somewhere between need of acceptance and self actualization. Possible need of achievement.

You can see it however you want, but I'll stick to the research scientists that have done extensive research in this area.
And no - "matching appliances" doesn't fall "somewhere between need of acceptance and self-actualization". You PUT IT there with your mind - as you could easily find acceptance in a community that doesn't pressure you to have matching appliances.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Everyone has a need to be satisfied on all different levels. If we want to break "wants" outside of "needs"... then no one needs shoes, toilet paper, etc. Those are all wants.
Some wants are much more frivolous than others.

Let's use discernment and common sense at the end of the day.

And honestly?...

Quote:

To answer your question, it's not possible to reach self-actualization as a result of buying goods. That proposal of yours just makes no sense. To reach self-actualization, you would have to be happy with everything you have and not want more for yourself. People like Bill Gates and Warren buffet fit into this category -- if anyone.

This scenario would fall into achievement if anything... if we're looking at that stupid pyramid.

You make no sense. Where did I say you can reach self-actualization as a result of buying goods? Do you even follow?...

Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Some wants are much more frivolous than others.

Let's use discernment and common sense at the end of the day.

And honestly?...

You make no sense. Where did I say you can reach self-actualization as a result of buying goods? Do you even follow?...
Quote:
I never said anything about having matching appliances and reaching self-actualization as a result. You proposed the idea. And, no, I do not think that. I put it around achievement...but not as defined by that pyramid. I don't even know why the marketing industry associates that pyramid to Maslow. It's their attempt to push their interpretation of human behavior on Maslow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living