Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
NJ -- I don't understand your question.
syracusa is saying that an individual wanting to replace functioning appliances with new ones in order to match a color is not a need. syracusa is clearly referring to some cutting edge study that disqualifies all modern research that would define this case to be satisfying a need. As I am not up to speed, I asked for a reference to this cutting edge study.

Otherwise, once can just assume that he/she is making stuff up to support his/her theory.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Nope, I can't.
I can only provide common sense, assuming we all agree on the definition of the word "need".

I will never regard the desire to have matching-color appliances as a "need" - regardless of what your modern psychology studies imply.

At the level of psychology/perception, you can turn ANY want into a need. In fact, certain obsessions can become so torturous that not satisfying them may even become life-threatening.
But do I see them as fundamental needs just because the brain went out of whack? No.

Then again, there are differences even between wants.
Some wants are much more reasonable and justifiable than others because they contribute significantly to increased quality of life.
Having matching-color appliances is largely a frivolity and does not significantly contribute to increased quality of life, no matter how much happier the "wanter" believes she will be once she gets the appliances; yes, there are tons of studies confirming that the such people will NOT be significantly happier once their so called "need" is satisfied - just don't ask me to go hunt for the actual reference. Read up and look for them yourself; or alternatively, use common sense. Even better!
The kind of event in the OP is not an outlier event caused by abnormal circumstances (such as a mental illness). It's a normal and common need.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The kind of event in the OP is not an outlier event caused by abnormal circumstances (such as a mental illness). It's a normal and common need.

Sure sounded like a want to me.

Too clarify, lets use a different product as an example

I need clothing. I want clothing with designer labels.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Sure sounded like a want to me.

Too clarify, lets use a different product as an example

I need clothing. I want clothing with designer labels.
Exactly! It's a want. Thus it's a need.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Looks like the dictionary agrees with you that want=need. Congratulations. You are semantically correct.

want
1. to feel a need or a desire for; wish for: to want one's dinner; always wanting something new.

2. to wish, need, crave, demand, or desire (often followed by an infinitive): I want to see you. She wants to be notified.

3. to be without or be deficient in: to want judgment; to want knowledge.

4. to fall short by (a specified amount): The sum collected wants but a few dollars of the desired amount.

5. to require or need: The house wants painting.

need
1. a requirement, necessary duty, or obligation: There is no need for you to go there.

2. a lack of something wanted or deemed necessary: to fulfill the needs of the assignment.

3. urgent want, as of something requisite: He has no need of your charity.

4. necessity arising from the circumstances of a situation or case: There is no need to worry.

5. a situation or time of difficulty; exigency: to help a friend in need; to be a friend in need.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 AM

304 posts, read 617,268 times
I guess as someone who has had to forgo groceries on several occassions, I have trouble seeing new appliances as a "need" when you have old ones that work. I think even if I had money I would still hold the same mentality. I believe it's how you are used to living your life - if you are used to having nice new things, etc vs a lifetime of belt-tightening.

Neither is good or bad, but either lifestyle will be hard for the other to relate to (I would think).

Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
A WANT is not a NEED. One this I marvel at is how many people really do think some 'wants" ARE needs. They really don't see the difference.

Perhaps it's because our true NEEDS really, really are very few. And not many of us can be 'happy' with JUST the rudimentary sustenance basics.

Who wants to live at just basic air, food, clothing, shelter level? That's no fun

Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Maybe there needs to be a third category.

Need: Anything you have to have to survive, and live a relatively normal life: Food, shelter, water, air

Want: Anything you would prefer to have in order to live a relatively happy life

Dreams: Things you would love to have, if you could afford it, or if you can afford it, then things that you have just for kicks

Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
A WANT is not a NEED. One this I marvel at is how many people really do think some 'wants" ARE needs. They really don't see the difference.

Perhaps it's because our true NEEDS really, really are very few. And not many of us can be 'happy' with JUST the rudimentary sustenance basics.

Who wants to live at just basic air, food, clothing, shelter level? That's no fun
A want is a need. It's a different level of need. You should read Abraham Maslow's work on needs. This type of need would fall somewhere between need of acceptance and self actualization. Possible need of achievement.

You can see it however you want, but I'll stick to the research scientists that have done extensive research in this area.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Maybe there needs to be a third category.

Need: Anything you have to have to survive, and live a relatively normal life: Food, shelter, water, air

Want: Anything you would prefer to have in order to live a relatively happy life

Dreams: Things you would love to have, if you could afford it, or if you can afford it, then things that you have just for kicks
They're all needs. Just different levels of needs. You should read A Theory of Human Motivation by Abraham Maslow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living