Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,994 times

Advertisements

I don't drink or cook with my well water. I was paying a quarter a jug at the water machines. Now I just go to the city park which has a spigot and get the city water. Saved a bunch of quarters that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
There's one recipe that I have that calls for only one Tbs of tomato paste.
I can get one can for only 50 cents but instead of throwing the rest away I freeze the rest in about 8 tbp size dollops.
Even to me, that's maybe a bit more than frugal

Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,610 times
Much of these tips are environmentally sound and people should be commended. I clean and reuse Al foil, ziplock bags, etc. Until the place shut down, I used to dumpster dive at the day-old bread store. The trucks would come in and dump tons of bread, etc in the dumpster after servicing the grocery stores!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:40 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,049 times
I save all extra condiment packets from places that we may eat out at. My nephew loves McDonald's chicken nuggets but hates the sauce. When we treat him to McD's, I ask for the sauce like he wants it, but I take it home. Cooking for a single person, one of those packets works perfectly for me. I just save them up.

When ordering out, I find some places give me TONS of napkins. I save what I don't use, for use at home.

I reuse foil, and brown paper lunch bags as many times as I can.

Sometimes I forget to bring my reusable shopping bag to the store and wind up with their plastic bags. I use them for garbage can trash bags in the bedroom and bathroom (smaller cans).

Old 07-02-2012, 01:36 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
It's not ridiculous to reuse those heavy duty zip lock bags. At first it sounded weird but it's really a no brainer when you consider the cost of those suckers!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:59 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times
Okay, 2 more: I save my used 8x10 paper (blank side) and keep in a plastic container. When I need to write notes, I pull out my used sheets and so... I use the paper twice...

If I dry my clean hands with a paper towel, I put that sheet of paper towel (air dry) in a container and use it later for quick clean-ups, spills. So, that paper towel is used twice....(note: I only said saved for clean hands, so it's not a dirty paper towel and I use that paper towel on clean ups only, then discard.) Is this too frugal?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,049 times
^^Paper towels - I reuse them too as long as they were used only to dry my hands and not for cleanups and such. I hang them over my dish rack to dry.

Any junk mail I get I save the envelopes (as long as they havent put my name/address on it) and when I grocery shop I put my coupons in the envelope and write my list on the envelope too. I've been known to reuse that envelope too. I just cross out last week's list real good and use whatever space I have. The same goes for bill paying envelopes, since I pay everything online or in person.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:08 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,271 times
Well, I did several rounds of IVF in Japan. Here in the states, it is customary to be either fully sedated or in a twilight sleep for the actaul egg retrieval

However, in Japan - it's pretty standard to do egg retrivals without any medications at all. My Japanese doctor recommended the medications since I was an American, implying that we were wimps compared to Japanese women. Oh, and the meds were another $500 bucks. So being a former Marine, and frugal - I decided to forgo any medication. Fun times, that.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,032 times
I had weight loss surgery in Mexico. Over 10 years and still keeping off 100 pounds!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Shopped for clothes at the Dollar Store.

Just kidding.
My husband goes to Saver's (thrift store) on Thursdays when the clothes are $1.00 and buys them then. We get all our clothes from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living