Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I've been known to remove the pump and just bang the bottle against my hand to get every last bit out.
Hah! but with good quality thick lotions, this doesn't get it all. I've banged and thumped and thought I'd gotten it all, but found a lot left inside when I cut it open. Something like Jergens or Vaseline Intensive Care will all come out with banging, but not Lubriderm or Gold Bond Ultimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Hah! but with good quality thick lotions, this doesn't get it all. I've banged and thumped and thought I'd gotten it all, but found a lot left inside when I cut it open. Something like Jergens or Vaseline Intensive Care will all come out with banging, but not Lubriderm or Gold Bond Ultimate.

Lubriderm WILL, with enough force. LOL

I've had the red marks on my hand to prove it.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I do the same with my lotions so don't feel bad.

I've also done the alcohol thing as well.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
I've been known to remove the pump and just bang the bottle against my hand to get every last bit out.
Use gravity instead. I remove the pump, and tip the bottle over a jar and let it sit like that. Eventually all the remaining lotion drips down into the jar.

Quote:
Oh and someone once told me she does this: she saves all the cereal dust/crumbs in a container. When she bakes cookies she adds in the cereal crumbs to the batter, and gets a few more cookies out of the batch.
I like a crunchy granola bar and a glass of milk as a bed time snack. I put the bars in a bowl to catch the crumbs and save the crumbs. I use the crumbs as topping for yogurt or to add to cereal. Never thought of adding them to cookie batter, but that's a great idea!

I use a stove top coffee percolator. Perked fresh on morning one. Add water to replace what I used, and perk again on morning two. A can of coffee lasts twice as long.

I, too reuse paper towels that have been used for hand drying. I wash and reuse my zip lock bags. I wash and reuse aluminum foil. I save junk mail envelopes and use them as others here have mentioned, I also use them as cat toys.

I always unplug appliances, including TV and lamps and printer, toaster oven, window ac, that are not in use.

I keep the thermostat at 60 in winter and wear layers, lots of layers, including gloves.

I don't buy garbage bags of any size. I use plastic grocery bags, doubled, for trash bags. Since I don't buy enough groceries to keep a good supply (I use them for cat litter too) I have a couple of friends with big families who give me their surplus grocery bags.

Last edited by catsmom21; 08-13-2012 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Use gravity instead. I remove the pump, and tip the bottle over a jar and let it sit like that. Eventually all the remaining lotion drips down into the jar.

I like a crunchy granola bar and a glass of milk as a bed time snack. I put the bars in a bowl to catch the crumbs and save the crumbs. I use the crumbs as topping for yogurt or to add to cereal. Never thought of adding them to cookie batter, but that's a great idea!

I use a stove top coffee percolator. Perked fresh on morning one. Add water to replace what I used, and perk again on morning two. A can of coffee lasts twice as long.

I, too reuse paper towels that have been used for hand drying. I wash and reuse my zip lock bags. I wash and reuse aluminum foil. I save junk mail envelopes and use them as others here have mentioned, I also use them as cat toys.

I always unplug appliances, including TV and lamps and printer, toaster oven, window ac, that are not in use.

I keep the thermostat at 60 in winter and wear layers, lots of layers, including gloves.

I don't buy garbage bags of any size. I use plastic grocery bags, doubled, for trash bags. Since I don't buy enough groceries to keep a good supply (I use them for cat litter too) I have a couple of friends with big families who give me their surplus grocery bags.

Wow, the things I bolded I would consider being VERY cheap. Storing crumbs, reusing coffee beans, washing zip locks and tin foil. Unplugging your TV AND lamps? How do you see when you enter your dark home?

Either way, that's just my opinion and I am certainly not bashing your lifestyle. I just think you get the "Most Frugal" award. More power to you!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
I picked up a hat on the road, brought it home, washed it, and used it as a winter hat (same thing with a scarf I found in the Kmart parking lot).

I sometimes save plastic shopping bags to use as garbage bags.

Dumpster diving is fun, too!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Wow, the things I bolded I would consider being VERY cheap. Storing crumbs, reusing coffee beans, washing zip locks and tin foil. Unplugging your TV AND lamps? How do you see when you enter your dark home?

Either way, that's just my opinion and I am certainly not bashing your lifestyle. I just think you get the "Most Frugal" award. More power to you!
When you're poor every penny (and every crumb and coffee ground) saved makes a difference. These little economies do not require any effort, and they allow me to afford to feed my cats better food and provide them with vet care, while still having some decent quality of life myself.

Just about everyone I know reuses baggies and foil. Even people who can afford to buy a new box every day if they wanted. It's not only a frugality, it's environmentally friendlier

Modern appliances draw on current even when turned off. Unplugging them prevents any draw, and again, not only an economically beneficial practice, but environmental, also. Not only that, I have a slight fire phobia, and cats who never HAVE, but might decide to, chew on a wire. I worry less when things are unplugged. When I walk in the house I flick on the over head light in the hall until I plug in the lamp.

I'd be happy to get a "most frugal" award, lol. What do I win? Can I sell it?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
When you're poor every penny (and every crumb and coffee ground) saved makes a difference. These little economies do not require any effort, and they allow me to afford to feed my cats better food and provide them with vet care, while still having some decent quality of life myself.

Just about everyone I know reuses baggies and foil. Even people who can afford to buy a new box every day if they wanted. It's not only a frugality, it's environmentally friendlier

Modern appliances draw on current even when turned off. Unplugging them prevents any draw, and again, not only an economically beneficial practice, but environmental, also. Not only that, I have a slight fire phobia, and cats who never HAVE, but might decide to, chew on a wire. I worry less when things are unplugged. When I walk in the house I flick on the over head light in the hall until I plug in the lamp.

I'd be happy to get a "most frugal" award, lol. What do I win? Can I sell it?
Well I certainly commend your efforts! I appreciate your help in saving our planet. I recycle and drive an economical car, turn off lights, etc. I don't quite take it to your lengths, but I always appreciate those who live on less. I never could go to those great lengths. As long as you aren't recycling your lipstick through the retail chain, I have no problems with how you live your life. Your only helping out my future children.

Heres your e-reward! Save the paper/plastic.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Well I certainly commend your efforts! I appreciate your help in saving our planet. I recycle and drive an economical car, turn off lights, etc. I don't quite take it to your lengths, but I always appreciate those who live on less. I never could go to those great lengths. As long as you aren't recycling your lipstick through the retail chain, I have no problems with how you live your life. Your only helping out my future children.

Heres your e-reward! Save the paper/plastic.
Awww, thanks!

PS I don't wear lipstick. Or any makeup for that matter. Or hairspray or other types of styling product. No cosmetics of any kind. That could be considered an economy measure I suppose, though my main reason is that I can't be bothered with all that junk, never had any interest in it, but it sure saves me a bundle, if I want to think about it in frugality terms.

I thought of a couple more things.... I water many things down. Shampoo, dish and laundry detergent, and fabric softener, all cut in half with water. It's easier than trying to "use half as much".

Old 01-17-2017, 06:01 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I go to the free food give aways, I spend less than $100 a month on groceries, for a family of 6, so thats pretty frugal. With all the money I've saved on food, we have been able to take a couple vacations this summer.
That's not frugal it's just cheap, free food is for people who need it not for people who are using it as a way to save for vacations. I realize this is an old thread but I'm sure some people are still doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living