Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,224 times

Advertisements

I once lived off of a loaf of bread & eggs for a week because I had hit some poor times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post

Were you paid by the hour? How much was a pack of cotton balls and how much were you paid by the hour? Unless you're a salary employee with nothing on hand to do, it would probably save him more money to buy a pack.
We were salaried, with rarely "nothing on hand to do", so it was just another thing to have to fit into our busy day. Unfortunately, he was cheap in other areas which often involved patient safety. It was my first job, and I loved the job but couldn't handle his medical ethics and his employer ethics.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
I once lived off of a loaf of bread & eggs for a week because I had hit some poor times
Done this with a loaf of bread and a block of velveeta!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:36 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
It's amazing how long a jar of peanut butter, jar of jelly, loaf of bread and a 15 cent pack of kool-aid can last...

I used to exist on that, when I was just starting out on my own, at 18 years old...

Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Done this with a loaf of bread and a block of velveeta!
Oh, when I hit poor times years ago, our go-to meal was Mac N Cheese & Beans. Boxed mac & cheese was about 33 cents if you could find a 3/$1 sale, and a big can of baked beans could last 2 meals. It actually became comfort food! Sometimes now I have it just because. We were poor but we were happy. And in a small way, there is a certain satisfaction is being able to make your dollar stretch and it was fun to find creative ways to really live on the cheap.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Oh, when I hit poor times years ago, our go-to meal was Mac N Cheese & Beans. Boxed mac & cheese was about 33 cents if you could find a 3/$1 sale, and a big can of baked beans could last 2 meals. It actually became comfort food! Sometimes now I have it just because. We were poor but we were happy. And in a small way, there is a certain satisfaction is being able to make your dollar stretch and it was fun to find creative ways to really live on the cheap.
There are a few dishes I got really sick of as a child whose mom had to make each dollar stretch. These days, mom gone, I love these dishes best!

Old 08-02-2012, 04:49 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
Now we have ramen noodles. One of the cheapest things you can buy

Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
I think it's a little overboard and cheap when you're supplying your entire company's napkin supply that way when the building management company never meant for the paper towels to be used like that. Sort of on par of finding a coupon online that gets you something for free, then you print out a stack of it and clean out the store shelves and leave nothing for others. The sort of thing that leaves a bad taste in somebody's mouth.
Hmmm, well I've cleared out store shelves with coupons too. To each their own, but this is the frugal section

Old 08-03-2012, 05:19 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

This reminds me of a cheap recipe somoene told me about years ago. At Aldi's she would buy a box of mac n' cheese (about 33 cents, or less), a can of tuna ( again 40-50 cents) and a can of peas (same price of 30-60 cents). She'd make the mac n' cheese, mix in the tuna and peas, pour into a casserole dish, sprinkle some breadcumbs on top (which she made by grating a slice of toasted bread), then bake for a little bit.

It was a super cheap meal that her family loved.

I'm not 100% sure about the prices, but those of use who shop at Aldi can guesstimate how much the dish caost to make based on the prices.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
This reminds me of a cheap recipe somoene told me about years ago. At Aldi's she would buy a box of mac n' cheese (about 33 cents, or less), a can of tuna ( again 40-50 cents) and a can of peas (same price of 30-60 cents). She'd make the mac n' cheese, mix in the tuna and peas, pour into a casserole dish, sprinkle some breadcumbs on top (which she made by grating a slice of toasted bread), then bake for a little bit.

It was a super cheap meal that her family loved.

I'm not 100% sure about the prices, but those of use who shop at Aldi can guesstimate how much the dish caost to make based on the prices.
Reminds me of tuna & noodles. My ex husband always loved that; his mom made it all the time as a kid to save money.

Cook egg noodles, then in a large skillet mix noodles, cream of mushroom soup, a can of tuna and a can of peas (must be canned. They have the right texture for this) Instant meal! And fairly healthy, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living