Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times

Advertisements

I turn off my ice maker in the fridge and unplug the water sprinkler timer in the garage until I need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,380 times
Partially for frugality but mostly for kicks: upon seeing an increase in my water bill last year, I looked for ways to cut my water bill. I actually did bucket bathes (the same way they teach you to shower in Peace Corps in poorer countries) for a few times. I have long hair and I could make myself clean on 5 gallons of water. Average navy showers use around 12-15 gallons.

I believe my savings at most was couple of cents.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM

18 posts, read 34,756 times
I know it's unethical but sometimes I put alcohol in a water bottle and put it in my bag. The places I go don't check bags which is silly but it's an advantage for me. I save a lot of money on drinks. I can still socialize without breaking the bank- I will buy one drink just to look like I bought a drink there. Sometimes I pre game, too. I save hundreds of dollars a year.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 AM

127 posts, read 198,359 times
I walked 6 miles to save $1.50 on the bus.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 AM

127 posts, read 198,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I put ice cubes in front of a fan to see if the room would cool off...but no...

Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
I also use the plastic bags from grocery stores as garbage bags for the bathroom as I can never remember to take the reusable bags into the store with me. Around the holidays, I get paper bags and use those to wrap/label packages. I get all my boxes from work.

I use old socks as dust rags. Just slip them on my hand and I'm good to go.

I have a programmable thermostat though I'm not sure if I'm saving anything that way. I also don't turn on the sprinklers until the yard is on the verge of becoming a fire hazard, which in this area isn't typically until the end of July.

I use junk mail offer envelopes as scratch paper-a trait I inherited from my father.

I'm trying a "just in time" inventory system on my perishable food items to try to cut back on the food that goes to waste despite my best intentions.

ETA: When my candles get low, I combine them so I can burn all the wax instead of wasting the last little bit.

Last edited by NWGirl74; 08-09-2012 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Remembered something else

Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad08am View Post
I know it's unethical but sometimes I put alcohol in a water bottle and put it in my bag. The places I go don't check bags which is silly but it's an advantage for me. I save a lot of money on drinks. I can still socialize without breaking the bank- I will buy one drink just to look like I bought a drink there. Sometimes I pre game, too. I save hundreds of dollars a year.
I've done that.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I use a lot of hand and body lotion, and I found that when the bottle stops pumping lotion, there is still a decent amount left inside. So when the bottle seems empty, I cut it open, and scrape out the remaining lotion. There is usually enough for about 3-4 days left in there, coating the insides of the bottle. Can't believe that for years I wasted that!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I use a lot of hand and body lotion, and I found that when the bottle stops pumping lotion, there is still a decent amount left inside. So when the bottle seems empty, I cut it open, and scrape out the remaining lotion. There is usually enough for about 3-4 days left in there, coating the insides of the bottle. Can't believe that for years I wasted that!
I've been known to remove the pump and just bang the bottle against my hand to get every last bit out.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:31 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Oh and someone once told me she does this: she saves all the cereal dust/crumbs in a container. When she bakes cookies she adds in the cereal crumbs to the batter, and gets a few more cookies out of the batch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living