Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:26 PM

470 posts, read 1,278,013 times

Advertisements

wow! the thyroid medication and the high blood pressure medicine is available as generics on that link above. Will just go to walmart/target for now one! thanks! that saved me $20 per 90 day supply for each

Now how do I switch prescriptions from CVS to walmart/target?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:50 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Save money on meds..................aim to improve your health so you no longer need to take them!

Old 02-12-2015, 04:50 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Take your prescription to the new place - they will take care of it.

There was an article in the paper saying you really should check local pharmacies as opposed to mail order - they might be cheaper, you should also check into paying out of pocket as opposed to insurance, it might be cheaper that way (not sure how that works out but can't hurt)

Old 02-12-2015, 04:53 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,884,541 times
I'm really surprised that Cigna has not suggested that the OP switch to mail-order. Whenever I get an Rx filled at the pharmacy, I get mail from my insurance co asking if I want to transfer it to mail order. Obviously, if it is just a one time thing, I get it at the drug store.

And it is cheaper. And I don't have to stand in line at the pharmacy. Why would you NOT do mail order when you can?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,450,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Mail order is probably cheapest. When you do mail order, it's cheaper to order a 90 day supply each time. Going from one parmacy to another shouldn't make much of a difference on your drug costs if you use your insurance as long as your pharmacy accepts it. Just check with your pharmacy/medication department of your Cigna about how to do mail order, because they have a separate independent pharmacy they do those orders with.
I would like to look into this... Can you say specifically which mail order pharmacies you have had a good (and inexpensive) experience with?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:23 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Rates are set by your insurance company and they decide which mail order companies you can use.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:24 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,199 times
I think it's been mentioned earlier in this thread- but ask your Dr if you can switch to generic and then check Target/Walmart/grocery stores in your area. I get mine for 10 bucks every 90 days at target -pretty much same price for 30 day supply at CVS/Rite Aid.
I printed out the target generic list and brought it to my Dr and asked him to make sure my scrip was something on the list. Went to his 2nd choice and went from 40 bucks a month w/ insurance to 10 every 90 without.

You can also try costco- you don't need a membership to get meds there- although the member price is cheaper- but for those without insurance they offer very good prices.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:04 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
I don't know if this applies to your situation, but you should consider the best way to save money on prescriptions is to not need them in the first place. I know that sounds obvious....but if you are taking meds for diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure....most of these diseases can be prevented with a plant based diet with minimal meat & processed foods. Most doctors only get training in how to prescribe drugs, and little or no education in nutrition.

Forks Over Knives | Official Website

Old 02-16-2015, 10:01 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Here's my suggestions beyond price shopping.

If prescribed a brand name medication, always check to see if the manufacture has a prescription financial assistance program. Many higher price brand name products do have programs. You can have a medication costing $350 a month and with insurance your out of pocket may be $90 but with the manufactures card it is lowered to $25.

Similarly, if there are 3 similar prescription medications, your pharmacist will let you know whats available and at what cost. Many time the prescribing physician may think the one they prescribed is the cheaper version. So find out whats available, discus it with your physician, and maybe something just as or more effective is available at a lower cost.

Don't be afraid to ask your pharmacist if there is the medication is also OTC. I have known people to pay $10 with their insurance coverage for a prescription that has the exact same product available OTC for $3.99.

I have had my pharmacist tell me that the short term medication is X1 mg per pill but the pill with X2 mg is only a small amount more and since they are designed to be split in half, he's willing to call the doctor to see if they will authorize a 90 day supply of the X2 mg instead of six 30 day supplies of the X1 mg tablet.

If you are being prescribed a medication where the final dose is base on your reaction to the medication, ask for samples to test the dosage level. Same goes if the medication has a side effect that you are a candidate for. Why get a 30 or 90 day supply of a medication (that you had some payment for) if your doctor may have to change to another product after week or so? Let them dial in the dosage and check for reactions with their samples.

Look for money offsets. If you use a pharmacy with a reward program, you may be able to offset cost through those rewards. If those points equal cash discounts, consider that savings as part of your total savings.

Sometimes you find savings in the oddest places.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:06 AM

511 posts, read 508,639 times
My Doctor saved me some on co-pays.

I asked my Doctor to give me stronger medication, twice as much medicine in one pill...it's same co-pay but I chopped the pill in half. So that chopped my co-pays for the year in half

Target here, I believe, gives a $10 or $15 credit on any new prescription. Ask if there are any incentives to bring your business there

Costco is the cheapest pharmacy in our area, by the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living