Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 05:07 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,570,526 times

Advertisements

So, in my almost daily perusing of the delicious offerings of the Safeway crack den, err, I mean bakery, I see today that they have chocolate cake slices, all priced at $2.99 each. Each cake has been weighed and packed with a label that says it is 7 ounces.

Yet, upon further inspection, I found that one package contained a small slice and another a slice that barely fit into the package! One was obviously heavier than the other. I consulted with the bakery person and she said, "we're human, it happens." Frankly, she should have at least pretended to care. She took the smaller slice from me (I'm no dummy!!) and put it back in the display case. I took home the bigger slice and weighed it. It is 14 oz.!!! Woot woot, double for my money!

Now, is it ok that she thinks that it's ok, is it up to the consumer to pay attention and realize that they are indeed not the same, and/or is it each cheapo pig to themselves lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,153,350 times
I buy onions in a pre-weighed 3-pound bag. It's impossible to put exactly three pounds in there, they have to keep putting in whole onions until it goes over three pounds. I take them to the produce scale, and almost always get one that is about 3.5 pounds. Same with cello bags of carrots.

Yes, I have ethical ambivalence about being the shopper who gets the best deal. But you have to learn to live with that. Millions of dumb suckers are subsidizing my credit card advantages, I haven't paid them a penny in fees or penalties in a decade, while the fiscally irresponsible make millionaires of the bankers. What should I do, pay late every once in a while to pick up my share of the cost? Buy a short-weight bag of onions?

Old 08-27-2015, 05:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,548,210 times
Default Um sorry no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
So, in my almost daily perusing of the delicious offerings of the Safeway crack den, err, I mean bakery, I see today that they have chocolate cake slices, all priced at $2.99 each. Each cake has been weighed and packed with a label that says it is 7 ounces.

Yet, upon further inspection, I found that one package contained a small slice and another a slice that barely fit into the package! One was obviously heavier than the other. I consulted with the bakery person and she said, "we're human, it happens." Frankly, she should have at least pretended to care. She took the smaller slice from me (I'm no dummy!!) and put it back in the display case. I took home the bigger slice and weighed it. It is 14 oz.!!! Woot woot, double for my money!

Now, is it ok that she thinks that it's ok, is it up to the consumer to pay attention and realize that they are indeed not the same, and/or is it each cheapo pig to themselves lol.
A SLICE of cake that cost $3?!? No, NOT FRUGAL!
Price comparison: Cake from scratch vs. box mix
Quote:
Box mix
Duncan Hines devil's food cake mix: $1.89
3 large eggs: $0.2625
1/2 cup vegetable oil: $0.3325
TOTAL: $2.49
Assuming your "14 oz slice" was 1/8 of a whole cake that comes out to $24! In comparison making it at home is about 31 cents!

Even if you are going to count the prep time, frosting and clean-up ain't no way you get to call buying cake a slice at a time FRUGAL...

Of course the HUGE MARK-UP is exactly why grocery stores have that yummy looking cake all packed up slices just ready to jump right into your cart

Old 08-27-2015, 06:26 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,086,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Assuming your "14 oz slice" was 1/8 of a whole cake that comes out to $24! In comparison making it at home is about 31 cents!

Even if you are going to count the prep time, frosting and clean-up ain't no way you get to call buying cake a slice at a time FRUGAL...

Of course the HUGE MARK-UP is exactly why grocery stores have that yummy looking cake all packed up slices just ready to jump right into your cart
There are those of us who do not want a WHOLE cake in the house!

Old 08-27-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
There are those of us who do not want a WHOLE cake in the house!
Then sell it to the neighbors !

Old 08-27-2015, 07:09 PM

102,268 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post

I just discovered those individually-wrapped slices. They sure make it easy to be tempted, don't they! arrrrghhh! One of these days I'm gonna cave, and get one of those.

Didn't notice any disparity in size/weight, though.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:35 AM

Your link is out of date:

Quote:
3 large eggs: $0.2625
You left out the word "each".

One thing not being taken into account, is that the store is in business to turn a profit, and there is a cost involved in marketing the slices of cake. All of the store's costs of slicing the cake, packaging and labeling it, occupying valuable space on a shelf, ringing it up, bagging it, paying the fee on the credit card transaction, shrinkage from expired unsold slices, the store has $2.99 invested in the slice of cake even if cakes magically dropped out of the sky. Slices of cake would cost the same regardless of what size they are.

Equate this with a car-wash, and ask why it costs more than the water. It's the cost of delivering the water to the consumer in the desired form.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-28-2015 at 06:52 AM..

Old 08-28-2015, 08:17 AM

4,200 posts, read 3,420,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Of COURSE it's frugal, if you count your time and effort and fuel to bake and the fact that not everyone NEEDS an entire cake.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Of COURSE it's frugal, if you count your time and effort and fuel to bake and the fact that not everyone NEEDS an entire cake.
Everyone has a freezer. My cakes last for a month, and in fact, in the hot summer,there is nothing better than a slice of chocolate cake, still frozen, with a dollop of sour cream on it. A frozen cake is very easy to cut, even with a butter knife.

Your time is worth exactly $0.00, unless it is time that you would otherwise have earned money doing something else. Nobody takes a day off without pay to bake a cake. Effort is not even a word in the American language anymore. Even in summer, with the AC on, I use less than $2.99 worth of electricity in a whole day, including baking.

Some argumentation in this forum is based on a mentally fixed idea searching for validation.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:41 AM

Default Exactly!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Everyone has a freezer. My cakes last for a month, and in fact, in the hot summer,there is nothing better than a slice of chocolate cake, still frozen, with a dollop of sour cream on it. A frozen cake is very easy to cut, even with a butter knife.

Your time is worth exactly $0.00, unless it is time that you would otherwise have earned money doing something else. Nobody takes a day off without pay to bake a cake. Effort is not even a word in the American language anymore. Even in summer, with the AC on, I use less than $2.99 worth of electricity in a whole day, including baking.

Some argumentation in this forum is based on a mentally fixed idea searching for validation.

I have nothing against stores selling cake by the slice or otherwise, nor is there are anything wrong with they pricing that cake to account to "convenience" but since cake is far from a necessity of like and it is extremely unlikely that anyone trying to truly live a frugal life would mistake the grotesque distortion of modern marketing as "cost saving" it is illogical to equate finding an "oversize" but still ridiculously marked-up slice of cake "a good deal"...

Rationalizing over spending won't help you be frugal, and misunderstanding the goal of frugal living cannot help you spend less / save more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living