Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:35 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,096 times

Advertisements

I'm frugal but I'm not "cheap". Travel is my big thing and I do whatever I have to do to have money to travel now that I'm retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,894,388 times
I wouldn't really fit into any of them, I guess.

I like to spend money on hobbies and experiences so I will save money in other ways so that I have the money for what I value.

I have bought an inexpensive car, buy some generic brand groceries, etc. It just leaves more money for what I like to spend it on. Having a flashy car isn't important to me, and as long as the generic is the same quality as the name brand, I don't care what name is on the label.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am frugal because my income is not enough to live comfortably in my high cost state. It is going to get worse when I purchase my home.
Is your wage below the state's minimum?

Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
I live frugally to spend on items of quality. I am blessed that all my needs are met, and I don't have many wants at this point in my life (been there, done that, can do without if the price is ridiculous). However, I don't buy low-end food products, I like to enjoy my food. I go to the dollar store for cards, office supplies (Magic scotch tape, security envelopes, sticky notes), holiday decor, I love going to Estate Sales where I have a list of items from "back in the day" that I need to replace or add to, I get expensive cleaning and Health and Beauty products here at really low prices (Wasp sprays, ant sprays, laundry products, perfumes, lotions, craft items, home decor), wrapping paper for all kinds of holidays, greeting cards, books, CD's, picture frames, and what I save by buying at these sales or at thrift stores I have the funds to buy better cheese than Kraft, name brand food products, and specialty food items (as I don't like to cook).

Old 08-12-2017, 05:39 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Is your wage below the state's minimum?
It is higher but it is not enough. You really need a six figure salary to live the good life. It is a two income state.

I am working towards making more money. We'll see what happens.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:11 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It is higher but it is not enough. You really need a six figure salary to live the good life. It is a two income state.

I am working towards making more money. We'll see what happens.
Around here one person making Minimum-Wage can support a family. After I retired we moved here for that reason.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
None of the above.

We live frugal by choice
1) VERY early retirees
2) Never a double income family (hourly pay / single 'night-shift' earner.
3) Gave away most our wealth in our 30's (to a family foundation that will gift to perpetuity)
4) Don't want to ruin my image with my kids (who were on their own the day they turned 18 (and before that for expenses such as cars / clothes / and college (They started college at age 15))
5) Don't need more.

Retire early, retire often...

Old 08-12-2017, 09:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
A solid G.

This who have read my posts know I had serious medical issues in the late 90s, had no insurance went through the retirement and savings I had and actually wound up being homeless, living under a bridge next to the RR tracks. It was a lonely bridge so I didn't have to share with anyone. And, NO my family would NOT help me out, meanwhile giving my sibling money to buy several rentals!

I've been through tough times too; although not homeless, I was often one paycheck away from it. Nobody would help me either, and what's particularly astounding is that my church friends didn't offer to help. In one case, I confided in a so-called "Christian" friend that I was out of food. She just said she'd pray for me and that was it. She had a great job as a fashion buyer. I'm guessing she could have spared a couple of cans of soup. She chose not do.

Years later, she is going through difficult times now too. Karma - what goes around, comes around. And she's quite miserable about her life circumstances.

I've learned that some people get help, others don't. That's just the way it is, I guess. But I did realize that I needed to stop going to that particular church and find a better group of people.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
The thrill of cheapskatery.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:54 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
G...H, I, J, K, and L. It started with medical debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living