Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times

Advertisements

If we're talking about returning other peoples' bottles, makes sense. Otherwise, my idea of being frugal is not buying soda in the first place (it is literally why I almost never drink it-- I don't want to spend what it costs to buy it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 09:40 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur123 View Post
I guess you're still making a penny or a penny and a half on your own bottles.

Do you sometimes pick bottles you see on the street, too?
Only if i have a coupon to get the 6-6.5 cents. Otherwise its getting back only the nickle i paid deposit on when i bought the water bottle. So you dont "make" anything.

I will pick up cans and bottles on the street only in the fact that it makes tge environment cleaner, and there are few of those. We have litter laws, hiway cleanup crews and tte like.

Its not worth the effort, gas and the like to go collecting looking "to make money" at it anyway. Its only a nickle.

I will save bottles when on vacation to turn in that i bought while on vacation, as i paid the 5 cent deposit in there somewhere.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:04 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur123 View Post
For those of you who live in a state or country that has enables you to return bottles for cash:
- do you do it? Because you need the money or the fun of it?
- how much have you made so far?
It all goes in the recycle bin. The time and effort to return used bottles and cans just isn't worth my time or energy. Not that hard up yet.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 PM

740 posts, read 456,814 times
My wife and I collect them from work because we don't drink sodas and water bottle. We save it until we have about 5-6 large bags then we give it to my dad. He sells them and donates the money to charities he likes.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:26 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
My wife and I collect them from work because we don't drink sodas and water bottle. We save it until we have about 5-6 large bags then we give it to my dad. He sells them and donates the money to charities he likes.
That is really nice of you and your father!

Old 05-23-2019, 12:59 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It all goes in the recycle bin. The time and effort to return used bottles and cans just isn't worth my time or energy. Not that hard up yet.
It depends on where you are.

I grew up with the California recycling program, or vice versa. It started off very rigid and limited and hard to use, and quickly evolved to local-area collection of bulk cans and bottles. You could crush the cans to save space and it was all done by weight; I don't know what the net return is from the deposit totals, but there's some margin kept to pay for the program. It's fairly easy to make a run by a recycling station ever few weeks and takes only a couple of minutes.

Then I moved to Connecticut. Which, being Connecticut, looked at how everyone else was doing it and then implemented the most demanding, least flexible and almost wholly inconvenient method it could find. Recycles have to go back to the store where you bought them; if you try to go to another location you may find most of your items rejected as "not sold by this store" - sometimes even mega-brands like Coke or Snapple. Smaller brands and promotional versions often were not in the database, so rejected even by the selling store machines.

And yes, rejected... because you have to stand and slowly feed the intact, undamaged items into collection machines, which have about a 90% accuracy rate of reading the barcodes. Can't crush the cans. Can't do any kind of bulk drop. Machine bins frequently fill up and you have to wait for a grumpy grocery store employee to come switch bins, reset faults, fix jams.

The deposits were just high enough and our family load just small enough that I put up with it... but never again.

Colorado has neither, so everything goes in bulk recycle.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:04 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I gladly take everyone's recyclables. Straight to the center for cash! Everyone in the office puts their empties in a bag I keep in my office at work and then I stop by my friend's houses when they ask me to. I just line them up on the side of the house until I get a good sized load. The last trip I made took me 30 min and netted me 104 bucks.

If they don't want their money I'll take it.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:16 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
I should also note that my recycling count has diminished drastically - maybe 20-30 items in a well-wetted month.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:07 PM

926 posts, read 417,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

And yes, rejected... because you have to stand and slowly feed the intact, undamaged items into collection machines, which have about a 90% accuracy rate of reading the barcodes. Can't crush the cans. Can't do any kind of bulk drop. Machine bins frequently fill up and you have to wait for a grumpy grocery store employee to come switch bins, reset faults, fix jams.

Yep! Same here. They have a couple of shopping carts as well where we can put the bottles/cans that have been rejected by the machine.

I usually bring whatever I have right before I do my grocery shopping - the employee either gives you cash or a voucher for your purchases in the store, whatever you prefer.

Over time I've noticed that several elderly people come every day with their shopping trolleys filled with bottles.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:08 PM

926 posts, read 417,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I gladly take everyone's recyclables. Straight to the center for cash! Everyone in the office puts their empties in a bag I keep in my office at work and then I stop by my friend's houses when they ask me to. I just line them up on the side of the house until I get a good sized load. The last trip I made took me 30 min and netted me 104 bucks.

If they don't want their money I'll take it.

Well-done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living