Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 10:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
Here's an interesting idea...it allows you to wash your hands above the toilet tank, then reuses that water when you flush the toilet next time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SinkPosi...4-01/205088518
My parents had something like this in the 70s:>) We call it the bird bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 10:08 AM

107 posts, read 51,195 times
Hanging out at the mall for fun instead of doing a "paid" activity like eating at a restaurant. I'd rather spend $50 on a sushi dinner than $100 on impulse buy items any day.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
Here's an interesting idea...it allows you to wash your hands above the toilet tank, then reuses that water when you flush the toilet next time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SinkPosi...4-01/205088518
They are common in Japan, where the toilet is usually in a separate room from the sink. I am surprised they haven’t taken off elsewhere, as it doesn’t really seem like there is a downside to this. That said, I did get a dual flush toilet in hopes I could save water and some of my pipes are still older/thinner so I don’t know that it’s really been that effective on a cost saving basis. On the other hand, the old toilet was the 6-gallon that ran all the time, so it was clearly wasting a lot of water.

I can absolutely see capturing cold water in places with water restrictions- having a gallon a day (or more, depending on how many people are using the bath daily) to water plants would be very helpful. I have considered getting a rain barrel on so many occasions as I have a part of my yard that tends to flood anyway and my vegetable garden is about as far as my regular hose will go.

My latest purchase was a mulcher for my leaves. We pay something like $4.25 a bag to dispose of yard waste, so that ends up costing a lot when you are paying for 15 or so bags and still need to get mulch for your garden beds. I figure that after this one season, it has probably paid for itself already. We will see how it turns out.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:51 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
The water thing is location specific. When we lived a summer in a travel trailer, navy showers were the rule. With unlimited free water, my only concern is the cost of heating it.

Things turning out to be false frugal?

Exercise equipment.

Most vegetable gardens (when you tot up the seed cost and other costs and compare grocery prices)

Lots of things that are subscription. After initial use, the cost continues past the interest

I have to strongly disagree on not shopping at multiple stores. Price differentials have become crazy. The only box of saltines for sale at my local Dollar General was over $4. Went to Walmart and paid $1.32. Have you priced Crisco lately? Over $10/container around here. Crisco is made from the cheapest oils and has low manufacturing cost. Mayo prices have also gone nuts. Not shopping multiple stores and using alternatives is false frugality unless your time is worth $50/hr.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:24 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I tend to debate whether doing something "worth it" when it comes to saving money.
Trying generics/store brands. It seems like 75% or more of the time, they are just as good or better than the name brands. I like most of the things we find at Aldi's and Lidl's but some are duds. The cat would not even eat the Aldi's Tuna - she just licked the oil off it.

Old 11-18-2022, 08:11 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I have to strongly disagree on not shopping at multiple stores. Price differentials have become crazy. The only box of saltines for sale at my local Dollar General was over $4. Went to Walmart and paid $1.32. Have you priced Crisco lately? Over $10/container around here. Crisco is made from the cheapest oils and has low manufacturing cost. Mayo prices have also gone nuts. Not shopping multiple stores and using alternatives is false frugality unless your time is worth $50/hr.
I agree with the principle (I shop at several stores too) but the examples are not the ones I would use. I didn't even think people still bought Crisco! Solid vegetable shortening has been out of fashion for health reasons for a very long time.

And mayonnaise? One egg, one cup of oil, a blender, and thirty seconds of your time. That's what it takes to make mayonnaise. I have no idea why people buy it and then complain about the cost.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:11 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
I shop once a month at Winco which is the cheapest grocery store locally overall. I try house brands and if they are good I keep buying them. I bundle my errands to save gas. If I was still working I wouldn’t waste my time catching extra water. My time would be more important.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:25 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree with the principle (I shop at several stores too) but the examples are not the ones I would use. I didn't even think people still bought Crisco! Solid vegetable shortening has been out of fashion for health reasons for a very long time.

And mayonnaise? One egg, one cup of oil, a blender, and thirty seconds of your time. That's what it takes to make mayonnaise. I have no idea why people buy it and then complain about the cost.
That sounds easy. What type of oil do you use?

Old 11-19-2022, 04:49 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That sounds easy. What type of oil do you use?
I use grapeseed, but you can use any kind. We like a mild flavor so we don't use olive oil or anything exotic.

Here's my recipe: Put 1 egg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp mustard powder (optional), and 2 tablespoons any vinegar in the blender. Turn it on and very slowly drizzle in 1 cup of oil. Done.

It should take at least 30 seconds to drizzle all the oil in. If you dump it in, you will not get mayonnaise.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:22 PM

746 posts, read 494,021 times
I cut my own hair once, never again. Live and learn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living