Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertGirl View Post
GrammasCabin - The abundance and diversity of Alaska never ceases to amaze me! Nature will provide her bounty for those of us that know how to benefit from her generosity.
The area in Oregon where we will be moving to also has lots of ferns. I was wondering if perhaps you had the latin/scientific name for the speices you harvest so I can possibly identify the same in Oregon? Links would be super! I want to try this amazing wild food. Thank you so much for sharing!

No links, sorry. I learn from the elders of the native community up here but it's my understanding that any fiddlehead of sufficient size is edible. The most common, which you will no doubt find in abundance in Oregon are the Shield fern (Dryopteris dilatata) and Lady fern (Athyrium filix-femina). Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) are my favorite but I'm not sure they grow that far south.

Fiddleheads can be harvested spring and fall. As the name indicates, they look just like little fiddle heads and are easy to recognize - and easy to like. You'll want to pick them while they're still tightly curled, from just below the surface under last year's growth to about 5-6 ". When they start to fan out they become bitter. They have a brown flaky coating which you'll want to brush off. This takes patience but I enjoy cleaning them in the field where I just enjoy kicking back with nature and daydreaming.

Here's a favorite horsdeovers recipe:

4 C. cleaned fiddleheads
1 1/2 c. wine vinegar
5 tbs. pickling spice
1 C molasses
2 tsp. pepper
1 C oil
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. onion powder.

Steam fiddleheads, drain & set aside in gallon glass jar or ceramic crock.
Bring remaining ingredients to a boil, pour over fiddleheads and let marinate for a couple days. Eat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Fiddleheads:

Wildwood Survival - Wild Edible Planrts - Fiddleheads

We have fern absolutely looking like these. However, when I was looking at them closely last spring, the fiddleheads were covered in tiny "hair", just a fur-like fuzz. The hair was hard to take off and when cooked, it felt just like hair in your mouth. Maybe our fern is not "ostrich fern", but by golly it looks the same.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:15 PM

Interesting - fiddlehead stalks are as good:

"Many people only collect the tightly coiled tops of the fiddleheads, leaving behind the juicy stalk which constitutes the greater part of the shoot. I have never been able to figure out why this is done - there is no gustatory, culinary, or practical reason for it. In fact, I greatly prefer both the flavor and the texture of the stalks to that of the coiled leafy tips. Your fiddlehead patch will yield a lot more good food."

Forager's Harvest - Sam Thayer's Wild Food Website

Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 PM

Natural syrup and sugar - maple syrup and maple sugar:

How to Tap Maple Trees for Syrup

I suppose it's conceivable to use sugar cane and sugar beets to extract sugar?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,173 times
GrammasCabin - I can't thank you enough for your wonderful contribution to this thread! Kudos!

nuala - Excellent links! And yes, you can extract the sugar from cane and beets and I think its a process similar to the making of sugar, at least to a point. Very interesting!

MaryBeth2 - Love those pecans!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Great thread!

Unfortunately, however, I would starve to death in the wild. The only thing I know about is wild black berries. Yum.

Stick with us and you will be fine in the wild!

You can be on berry-picking detail!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Here's one of my favorite spring & summer chores. And Yay! the snow's melting! Today was a warm sunny spring fever day!
I make my own "tea" by dehydrating all kinds of wonderful spring leaves, roots & such, mix them all up and store them in gallon glass jars for a delicious healthy hot or cold drink all year long. For sun tea I grab a handful, put them in a gallon jar filled with water and set out on the porch railing in the sun. For hot tea I have a big pot on the back of the woodstove all winter long. Here's a list of some of the ingredients I gather and dehydrate:

wild blueberry leaves
raspberry leaves
strawberry leaves
elder flowers
red clover blossoms
chammomile flowers
dandelion leaves & roots (before they blossom!)
soft new spruce tips
rose hips
horsetail
nettles
lemon & orange peel

There are other wild Alaska herbs and berries I use that might not be familiar with most of you, but you get the idea. And all these things are loaded with flavor and healthy good stuff! Cuppa tea anyone?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 PM

Wonderful! I was picking some of the leaves (raspberry, camomile, rosehips), but never thought of strawberry leaves and blueberry leaves. I also never thought of MIXING it all, kept it all separate. I suppose some berries, like cranberry, can be dehydrated and added to the mix.

Speaking of drinks reminded me of the coffee substitute - Common chicory.

"The cultivated forms are grown for their leaves (var. foliosum), or for the roots (var. sativum), which are baked, ground, and used as a coffee substitute and additive."

Chicory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-09-2009, 01:22 AM

Absolutely dried berries go great in the mix. I add dried wild blueberries and cranberries which are in abundance here. I don't get so many strawberries or raspberries so I use them for jam but any dried berry will work. Last fall the cranberries were so thick it looked like someone had dumped bucketsfull all over the muskeg.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,660,828 times
Yum, I want some! You are so lucky to live there GrammasCabin!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living