Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertGirl View Post
Besides the obvious hunting, clamming or fishing (and I realize these endeavors are not for everyone), I am curious as to what wild foods people may be harvesting to supplement their diet. I, for one, make use of the abundance of yucca blooms available in the spring. They are delicious in stir fry or steamed by themselves with a dash of garlic. And perfectly edible.
Health Natural, Information for Natural and healthy living - Yucca
When in Oregon during the fall, we hunt for Chantrelle mushrooms. Fantastic grilled over an open fire!
I have also been known to collect wild mustard greens, wild berries and the elusive feral asparagus!!!
Is anyone else utilizing wild foods? If so, please provide links so we can all benefit from learning more!

Hi DezertGirl,

My current wild food/unusual selection that I have gathered and eaten is:

lambs quarter
dandelion
thistle
wood sorrel
milk weed
sumac
cattail
burdoc
creeping charlie
catnip
purslane
garlic mustard
sow thiste
service berry
chickweed
ground elder
daylilly
black raspberry
mulberry
plantain
wild carrot
violets
hostas
pineapple weed
wild parsnip
wild apples
choke cheery
black cherry
wild raisins
wild grapes
wild black berries

Of course it is seasonally dependent. The rain has probably washed out much of the sumac Indian lemonade for the season and the milkweed is rapidly moving from the last stage of good edibles being the pre-silk. The fruit of the season now is wild grape and apples. I just had dried apple leather for lunch and nature paid the bill. I am also getting a lot of my cultivated stuff right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
I also would like to know what kind of ferns....We have tons of ostrich ferns. Are they edible in spring?
Hi 3-Oaks,

Make sure they are ostrich ferns. Not all fiddle heads are edible like Cinnamon ferns. However if you do identify them the shoots are edible. I could not find any wild so I planted them. Asparagus needs light and for those shady spots in the yard one may have a nice edible in the spring. Same with Hosta lancifolia.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
This is a great thread! Can anyone recommend a good book/guide for identifying edible plants in Illinois/Midwest? I'm sure there are plenty of good books out there, but if someone has experience with a great one that would help a lot. Thanks!

I have poke in my backyard, so I'm going to mark where it is now so I can harvest the young leaves in the spring. I love greens so I'm looking forward to it.
Hi Annie3,

That's easy. Samuel Thayer. I have his book and you can find many articles online. He hails from Wisconsin which makes him a very good source for the Midwest.

For example:

http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com...r/milkweed.htm

For those in the south east specifically but still very good for general purposes is Mr Green Dean on youtube. Search for "eattheweeds".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97jebTQisU#

The man is better than anyone you would find on PBS and the videos are very entertaining.
My favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjMHC...e=channel_page

Old 08-24-2009, 10:05 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
In the Southeastern U.S., look for kudzu (shouldn't have to look far) - the entire plant is edible - from roots to leaves.

Also in the Southeast: pawpaws are a great wild food. They grow on trees, and they taste a little like bananas. There are recipes you can find online to make use of these fruits. I have made "banana bread" and muffins out of them.

One more in the Southeast - young poke greens - these are really wonderful. They taste very similar to asparagus or Chinese broccoli. Just make sure you pick them young.

In the southern U.S. from Mississippi to Southern California, there is a squash vine called Chayote, that grows rampantly. If you find (or plant) a patch of Chayote, you'll have an excellent food source for several months a year. The squashes are very, very ugly, but taste great. You can cook them just like baked potatoes, or use them to make zucchini bread.

Last edited by timelesschild; 08-24-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
"Eat the weeds at your feet" by Joan Elk. This book is illustrated with b&w drawings by the author's daugher.

Joan sent me a copy years ago. I'll think I'll put it to use with the advice from this thread!

Kate in Oregon

PS I read a great tip for getting to have ready to eat dandelion greens: sprout them in your kitchen, in a jar!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living