Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

My mother used to say I washed my clothes to death and now I'm beginning to think she was right.
We have two 8 year old girls and really even tho they play alot ourside, they don't get their clothes really dirty. I think they put them in the hamper because it is easier than hanging them up to wear again.

I'm trying to train them to really look at their clothes to see if they need washing and to let me know early about stains or repairs which I can handle.

As adults, DH and I will get at least a few wears before laundry time except of course socks and underwear. I also tend to have my ratty "at home" clothes and a bit nicer looking "out side the home "clothes.

I've tried getting the girls to change into "play clothes" and keeping school clothes hung up but that didn't work and I just ended up with two sets of clothes for each girl every day.

How do you handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
It depends.

A single wear being- to church and there was no eating or sweating involved? Then no- it gets hung up or put up.

But all undies get washed no matter what. We grew up wearing undies including t-shirts as undies...that kept shirts/blouses away from our skin so we could not have to wash everything all the time.

Don't think people do that much anymore.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:00 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
My wife and I try to get a couple wears out of most of our clothes.

I wear slacks and shirts to work and unless I spill something, they get worn a few times in the rotation before getting washed/dry-cleaned. Same thing for jeans and shorts on the weekend. My wife is a SAHM and she has "in the house" and "outside the house" clothes. The in house ones generally get worn once as they take the brunt of daily activity. The nicer clothes will get used a couple times.

As for the kids, same thing, within reason. We usually try to get a couple wears out of a pair jeans and nicer shirts, but usually most things end up rather messy and we only get one use out of them. Pajamas are an area we actually get a couple uses out of them. We figure, they take a bath and then go to sleep. Barring any accidents, there is no reason not to re-use them.

Socks, underwear and t-shirts (I use them as undershirts) get used one time, max.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:12 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
My children were both dirt magnets when they were little - so most things they wore ended up being washed far more often than was good for the environment! Drove me crazy!!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
T-shirts, socks, and underwear all get washed after one wear.

I usually wear jeans, pants, and sweatshirts 2-3 times, maybe even 4 before washing. Only exception is when I spill food or drink or get dirty doing yard work or something.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Depends on the kids. I know as a kid I was a major dirt magnet. There's still talk a of wedding I went to as a kid, all dressed up in a nice light pink dress. I got bored, my cousin and I went outside and tumbled down the hill over and over..... right after it rained.... did I mention it wasn't all grass?

My mom was TICKED....

Yeah -- we had play clothes, too, but still I'd manage to get something on me somehow. My mom would get me dressed to go somewhere and sit me on a chair with a book and stern orders to NOT move.... so at least I'd look decent when I got where ever we were going.... by the time I got home.... those things needed a good washing.

I was a bit of a tomboy.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Underwear, socks, & t-shirts wash everyday. Jeans,shorts,coveralls or outer shirt once a week unless stained in some manner.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times
Yes, I do. But I have a messy 2 yr old and a hormonal 11 yr old.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
I remember hiding my favorite pair of 501's from my Mom so she couldn't wash them

"What are you trying to do? Be a dirty hippie???"
"Yes!"

Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM

367 posts, read 415,134 times
I, too, recently realized I was "over-washing" my girls' clothing!! So, I stopped washing everything after 1 wear - especially PJs and pants! It was ridiculous to do that b/c the clothes were getting faded unnecessarily!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living