Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:07 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,919,457 times

Advertisements

I recently moved in a one bedroom apartment and the con with the one bedroom apartments is no washer and dryer hook-ups. The two-bedroom apartments and townhouses have them . The laundry mat is 20 steps away but I don't feel like waiting and watching my clothes for an hour.

I was thinking of washing them in the bathtub but I'm trying to figure out a plan to dry them. I was thinking of hanging them in my bedroom and putting a fan on them.

Does anyone else do this? What is your technique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:17 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Are you serious? You'd rather hand wash all of your clothes in the tub, wring them out, rinse them, wring them out, hang them up dripping wet (because you won't be able to wring them well enough by hand) and run a fan, adding all of that humidity to your apartment.....

Because you don't want to walk 20 steps??!?
Yeah, and I don't think you'll be saving any time either.

Walk the 20 steps to the laundry room. If you feel like you have to wait for your clothes (although I don't know why you'd need to do that with it being only 20 steps away ) take a book, newspaper, ipod or something to DO so you won't be just waiting.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:25 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Or buy portable washer: Haier HLP21E - 1.0 cu. Ft. Tub Size Portable Washer#
Pretty good price here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4BEZ4KTJDW7R7J

Then buy one of those: http://www.organize.com/walmoundryin.html ( IKEA has it cheap)
just dry it overnight. No vent is necessary

Last edited by elnina; 05-14-2010 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: added

Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,722 times
You can do that with smaller items like handkerchiefs, socks and underwear. After wringing them, roll and squeeze them individually in a dry towel to absorb excess moisture before hanging them in the patio or in a dry bathroom.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 PM

Thanks elnina, I didn't know these existed.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:49 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Thanks elnina, I didn't know these existed.

Yes, they do. And those are portable, so you don't have to be worry about the washer/dryer connections. Space saving and on the rollers, you can put it pretty much everywhere in your apartment. You can wash your stuff anytime you want and don't have to be worried that someone steals your stuff at the Laundromat. A big pro is that no one is washing filthy, nasty stuff in it like people do in community washers. Money well spend, if you think about every $ you would spend for the community washer.
Clothes air-dried have longer life too...

Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, they do. And those are portable, so you don't have to be worry about the washer/dryer connections. Space saving and on the rollers, you can put it pretty much everywhere in your apartment. You can wash your stuff anytime you want and don't have to be worried that someone steals your stuff at the Laundromat. A big pro is that no one is washing filthy, nasty stuff in it like people do in community washers. Money well spend, if you think about every $ you would spend for the community washer.
Clothes air-dried have longer life too...
Thanks so much. I plan on ordering these next week.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Are you serious? You'd rather hand wash all of your clothes in the tub, wring them out, rinse them, wring them out, hang them up dripping wet (because you won't be able to wring them well enough by hand) and run a fan, adding all of that humidity to your apartment.....

Because you don't want to walk 20 steps??!?
Yeah, and I don't think you'll be saving any time either.

Walk the 20 steps to the laundry room. If you feel like you have to wait for your clothes (although I don't know why you'd need to do that with it being only 20 steps away ) take a book, newspaper, ipod or something to DO so you won't be just waiting.

As a matter of fact NCyank, I was serious. Thanks for your criticism.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:36 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,156,263 times
If I had a bigger sink I would probably hand wash just about everything.

However, I wash my clothes at the laundromat and just hang them to dry at home. Sometiems I use, sometimes not. My problem is enough space to hang everything, LOL.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:52 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
As a matter of fact NCyank, I was serious. Thanks for your criticism.
Critics help us see the flaws in our thinking. You're welcome.

You are in the frugal living forum where it is often pointed out that saving time can be as valuable as saving money. You didn't talk amount the money but the time. I figure washing everything in the tub will take you at least the same amount of time and probably not be as effective as the washing machine. You won't wash as well, you certainly won't spin as well.

Me, I wouldn't waste the hour to stand by the washer and I sure as heck wouldn't waste the same amount of time washing by hand. I'd take 2 minutes to load up the washer and go back to my apartment. When it's done I'd go get the clothes and hang them up to dry (I don't use the dryer much either). I've spent 2 minutes on washing laundry while you are busting your back bending over the tub wringing out clothes.

Have at it if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living