Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
They are not poisonous and will only bite a human if cornered or threatened. Scoop em up and take him outside.... do you have any idea how many bugs this thing will eat? They are so big I have a hard time thinking of them as spiders... you can see their eyes looking at you in real life- I can't kill them.
Actually wolf spiders (Lycosidae) are venomous and can produce clinically significant bites though they tend to be defensive bites if provoked. On the whole they aren't aggressive spiders, despite their size and appearance.

In the past there was some concern that their bites had a necrotising effect to flesh, similar to a Brown Recluse bite but it's been determined that those were bites from other genera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Actually wolf spiders (Lycosidae) are venomous and can produce clinically significant bites though they tend to be defensive bites if provoked. On the whole they aren't aggressive spiders, despite their size and appearance.

In the past there was some concern that their bites had a necrotising effect to flesh, similar to a Brown Recluse bite but it's been determined that those were bites from other genera.
From that pic it looks like some one going to have a lot of baby spiders hanging about.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
From that pic it looks like some one going to have a lot of baby spiders hanging about.
That's the kind of scene to give arachnophobes nightmares for years.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, they are poisonous. ALL true spiders are poisonous. It's just that not all spiders are poisonous to humans. Some have toxins that only affect certain creatures. Some deliver toxins in doses that would only harm certain creatures, but would likely not even be noticed by others. That itchy bug bite you get when one of those little random common house spiders gets stuck in the sheets with you, is just a nuisance for a day or two. But that same exact bite, from that same exact spider, will completely paralyze a fruit fly and kill it within a minute or two.

Spiders are awesome. I agree I don't want'em in my house. But that's why I have long ripped up pieces of cardboard. Scoop'em up, and toss'em out the window. If I find them webbed ON the window, they get a reprieve. Soon as they move off that web though, it's in the back yard they go!
Actually no, not all true spiders are venomous. There are two confirmed and one suspected members of Arachnida that are not: the cribellate orb weavers (Uloboridae) and holarcaeidae are the two confirmed and Mesothelae is the suspected.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
These were in the garage. I took them outside where there'd be more room for the growing family.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
We have a lot of them here. No biggie and no reason to go run screaming out of the house. Although we had a visitor from the north who did just that. She has arachnophobia and our bathroom was inhabited by a monster wolf spider that ran across her bare foot. We let him live because they are considered good luck by my people.

I had one inside my house shoe and then I put my foot into it and walked around for a few minutes. He never bit me, although he could have because he was right up against the top of my foot. When I took my house shoe off, he ran off and hid.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:

I was bitten by one while I was asleep. I got a 5" bright red circle where I was bitten which was very hot and painful to the touch. It was raised with a white border around it. I didn't feel the bite at all (it was on my breast and I sleep on my stomach), just noticed it when I woke up and then found the spider in the curtains in my bedroom. It did heal up on its own without treatment other than benadryl, after about 10 days.

I got another one later on, that's how I know for sure what the first one was. The second time, I was putting a starter in my car in the middle of the night and my husband was supposed to be knocking the bugs off my legs but he fell asleep on the job.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Kill it with fire.......

Old 10-29-2012, 06:52 PM

932 posts, read 1,943,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
(please move to proper forum if this is wrong spot)

We have always had these... I think they are either called wolf spiders or wood spiders. There was even one in a local super market the other day! We usually get them in the house, especially in the downstairs basement where I sleep... (chill bumps). I hate them. This one has been camping out on my station wagon every night. This one is small compared to most around here. Seem to be a very common spider here in Tennessee... I wonder where all else in the country do these reside?

This is one that my dad killed in the house last summer...

Looks like a Huntsman to me.

This is a wolf, taken in my basement.

Quote:

You've got that backwards. Wolf spiders do not have a medically significant bite to humans, but they are aggressive and will stand their ground/"attack" more readily than other spiders. Where the "venom" confusion comes in is that they do sometimes have bacteria on their fangs. I've been bit by them my fair share, and only once had a negative reaction. Put a little alcohol on the bite and the necrosis stopped immediately.

Last edited by BTA88; 02-12-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Looks like a Huntsman to me.

This is a wolf, taken in my basement.

You've got that backwards. Wolf spiders do not have a medically significant bite to humans, but they are aggressive and will stand their ground/"attack" more readily than other spiders. Where the "venom" confusion comes in is that they do sometimes have bacteria on their fangs. I've been bit by them my fair share, and only once had a negative reaction. Put a little alcohol on the bite and the necrosis stopped immediately.
No, I don't have that backwards. Wolf Spiders are defensive biters if provoked. Clinically significant can be anything from a painful swelling to fever and malaise.

As for the venom they don't have the necrotoxic agent, Sphingomyelin phosphodiesterase in their venom, so any necrosis at the site is likely do to a severe, local reaction, or the introduction of MRSA into the bite wound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden