Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,771 times

Advertisements

Maybe we have the outside cats to get the squirrels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
I assure you I did "try" to find some humor in that. However I so fervently believe in owner's being responsible for their pets that I failed to find the humor. Sorry! It is to every cat and cat owners advantage to keep your cats in a secure area and that doesn't mean in my fenced yard nor on the top of my vehicle. Someone not quite so caring of animals could make the cats go away-for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Maybe we have the outside cats to get the squirrels.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,487 times
Default Those sneaky squirrels are smart!!

In order to help with the squirrel problem I would add about a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to about 10 pounds of seed. The birds don't have a problem with the cayenne but the squirrels will shy away from it once they get a taste.

My local birdies are ok with it but test it out on a small batch first just in case.This may help keep them from ransacking your bird houses.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM

170 posts, read 450,333 times
The squirrels around here eat the bird feeder and all.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Safflower seed. Birds love it, squirrels don't like it at all. Squirrels can figure out how to get into just about any "squirrel proof" feeder.

I put some critter food on the ground for the squirrels, and everyone's happy.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
my problem isn't squirrels-it's my neighbors cats that sit under the feeders ...waiting. I deplore irresponsible animal owners. Cat owners-keep your cats inside!
Our cat would be miserable inside all day. I have both a bird feeder and a wooden post for squirrels' food, but the latter doesn't deter the squirrels from eating the birdseed. Safflower seed is more expensive, isn't it? I think I'll try the cayenne pepper method; I've never heard of that before.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Safflower seed is more expensive, isn't it? I think I'll try the cayenne pepper method; I've never heard of that before.
Cayenne would be a lot more expensive than safflower.
One summer in Denver, we had a hellacious hailstorm that left our yard like pesto; the squirrels were extra hungry because their regular feeding areas were disrupted. So they went after my tomatoes. I tried cayenne with mixed success.
Safflower is a better solution, IMHO.
I mix it with sunflower seed, or sometimes I just use only safflower.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:15 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Safflower is more expensive when buying it, but since the squirrels don't eat it, it actually lasts longer, so you end up spending less.

What's killing my wallet is the thistle seed. The goldfinches and pine siskins have been going through it like crazy. I have to fill the feeders every other day. At one point I counted 45 birds on the ground under the feeder (eating up the spillage), and dozens more swarming the feeders.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,158 times
Keeping squirrels at bay
As most bird watchers with feeders know the squirrel can become quite a nuisance. There are a few things you can do to keep them out of your bird feeder.

One thing that can work is to put your feeder on a metal or PVC pole and grease the bottom 2 feet so they cannot climb the pole. Placing a baffle directly under the feeder will make it difficult for them to get to the food.

Also keep the feeder a good distance away from trees or other items that they can leap from. This also works to keep cats from getting to birds during feeding.

The best way to keep squirrels out of your feeder is to provide a separate food source just for them. Spread some peanuts or corn on the ground or on a platform feeder and they will feed from there instead of trying to retrieve food from your bird feeder.

Hope this helps

Old 06-02-2009, 12:07 AM

855 posts, read 2,396,329 times
We feed our squirrels but they would still get in the wooden bird feeders we had until I started trying different "squirrel proof" feeders a few years ago. In 2006 I had two encased in cage, one suet feeder and one monster multi station tube feeder.

The tube feeder worked but the tube was in sections and came apart. Plus, the thing was heavy as sin when full of seed and it didn't attract much of a variety. The suet feeder was truly squirrel proof but it was also bird proof . I only put one suet cake in there in the time I had it. A few birds ate about 10% of it and the rest turned into a black rock that not even the birds would touch after I tossed it. A couple of weeks ago I used tin snips to cut the feeder part out and used the cage to construct a makeshift basket for our granddaughter's bike. Overall, both were a waste of money.

I bought two more at Home Depot the next year and they're the first ones I've had that actually worked and didn't fall apart after one year. They tried to conquer them for awhile but hardly ever go near them unless it's to climb the post they're hanging on to sit on top. I've only seen one squirrel get anything out of either of them and neither has ever been emptied or dumped. I believe I spent $50 between them which made me wince a little at the time but they were actually worth it. The raccoons haven't been able to thwart them either and those suckers are every bit as persistent as the squirrels. The only knock I had on the one was it had a flimsy hanger that I replaced the first week I had it.

Nothing extraordinary about their set up. They're both on a 2x4 tee on top of a 5' 4x4 post hanging just a couple of feet off the ground. The only feeder I have that they get into now is a combo birdbath/feeder I made from an old satellite dish last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden