Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I removed two large clumps of pampas grass by digging it out. The roots were shallow so it wasn't too hard. Once I got it started they came out in big clumps.
I started digging today but so far only loosened up a small area. We chopped it shorter so it would be more managable and I could see what was going on better. More tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Digging? Your a glutton for punishment. Rent a tiller I bet you can do that over a few days and not break the bank. Won't what ever else you plant need tilled soil anyway?

Digging is something I would do..... Comon' you must be brighter than I am...
LOL no the shovel and I are old friends, not so bright. I did figure out if it doesn't come loose, I can back my truck up into the back yard and pull it out that way. I wasn't sure I could get around the other plants but I have a decent shot. Trying to avoid that though because we recently reseeded the bare spots in the lawn and it's looking nice so ruts might be bad.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Yeah you are dumb as me I ama pro at running Stupid Sticks too... Try out a 4 foot leveling rake some time,,, ugg...... I call anything with a long wooden handle a stupid stick, so don't get all mean and nasty either! ;D

If you can get a picture of the area I can see, I might be more help. Another picture of wild plants would help to, at a distance say 300 feet away and still wild.. Needs no humans, no building, no way to ID. Just the area in question and another place near by where the same plant types still grow.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
LOL no the shovel and I are old friends, not so bright. I did figure out if it doesn't come loose, I can back my truck up into the back yard and pull it out that way. I wasn't sure I could get around the other plants but I have a decent shot. Trying to avoid that though because we recently reseeded the bare spots in the lawn and it's looking nice so ruts might be bad.

Hopefully it goes better today. Sharp tools always make the work easier. Also a Mattock with a cutting head will make the work digging go four times as quick. Digging is hard work. I laugh when people think I have a easy job being a landscaper. Classic "Oh you just mow lawns all day". LOL

Shop True Temper 5 Lb. Mattock Cutter with 36" Hickory Handle at Lowes.com

Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Bull, you should be in Wolfboro NH. The weathy there get sick of trees, shrubs and everything they paid to get done in around 3 years. A land scaper there can get what he sold back for free, and sell all new stuff. Then since the plants he got back for free are bigger, he can sell them again for more.

I have made railings of steel into the lake, and seen this happen. You can bet when I am welding in water up to my waist I get paid hard too. Then welding in water that deep with boat wakes shoving me around isn't easy either.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Hopefully it goes better today. Sharp tools always make the work easier. Also a Mattock with a cutting head will make the work digging go four times as quick. Digging is hard work. I laugh when people think I have a easy job being a landscaper. Classic "Oh you just mow lawns all day". LOL

Shop True Temper 5 Lb. Mattock Cutter with 36" Hickory Handle at Lowes.com
LOL yeah I used to live next to a guy who would crack jokes when I would be out digging and planting roses and such. He decided to put a fence in and started in the front and it ended with his digging ONE post hole.

Well I enlisted my 18 y/o son to get out and help and between the two of us we've got half of it out. Had to take a break for a bit though.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Bull, you should be in Wolfboro NH. The weathy there get sick of trees, shrubs and everything they paid to get done in around 3 years. A land scaper there can get what he sold back for free, and sell all new stuff. Then since the plants he got back for free are bigger, he can sell them again for more.

I have made railings of steel into the lake, and seen this happen. You can bet when I am welding in water up to my waist I get paid hard too. Then welding in water that deep with boat wakes shoving me around isn't easy either.
Yeah its the same around here too Mac. Example: four year ago I had a client that wanted full grown fully mature Canary Island Date Palms. The most expense mature palm you can buy.

So I installed two 10,000lbs palm trees as requested. Had them Semi-Trucked in over 300 miles from Southern California. Used a 10 ton crane to lift and place them into place. Let just say it was an expensive proposition for him. Little Over $18,000 for the two trees including labor to install.

Ok fast forward four years. Get a call. He now want them out because they are doing so well that the palms have completely obscured the front of his home.

Ok so now I had to find a buyer for the palms in a down market. Took me 3 months or negotiations to get a tree service from SoCal that wanted the trees and paid the owner half of what he originally paid for them. Me? I made more money digging them up and preparing for removal.

What did we replace them with you ask? Mexican Fan Palms that have a tighter frond configuration above the pineapple of the trunk. Oh well he is happy and I got to make more money and keep paying my employees.

As for Moving to NH to landscape. I think I will leave that to you Green Mountain Boys.

These are the type of palms we installed and removed.

Canary Island Date Palms - Phoenix Canariensis, Gregory Palm Farms 714.814.8525

Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM

Palms? ain't them just real big weeds? They look just like dandilions... LOL you ever see that palm on the U tube some hacks cut down or maybe pulled down right on top fo their truck?

I got 56 k mo dumb here and so a series of those took a long time to load, but some people shouldn't have any access to a chain saw Period.

That one tree in the link got lucky, I see it found a pretty gal to 'Date'. You cali wag O' fornia folks are real strange to me.

I don't think NH gals are willing to date a tree, but maybe they are, and just not mine !

Old 05-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Palms? ain't them just real big weeds? They look just like dandilions... LOL you ever see that palm on the U tube some hacks cut down or maybe pulled down right on top fo their truck?

I got 56 k mo dumb here and so a series of those took a long time to load, but some people shouldn't have any access to a chain saw Period.

That one tree in the link got lucky, I see it found a pretty gal to 'Date'. You cali wag O' fornia folks are real strange to me.

I don't think NH gals are willing to date a tree, but maybe they are, and just not mine !

LOL

Old 05-18-2011, 01:58 PM

DONE!! :0)
Well except we'll need to bring some dirt in to fill the area in a bit, the grass is dug up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden