Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

A cement statuary maker once told me he mixed existing moss in a blender with yogurt to establish moss on statues to give them an ancient look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I enjoyed the pictures too. It looks like a lot of work. It's amazing how long the track has lasted and kept mother nature at bay. The picture of your monster isn't quite clear... moose or elk??

I don't have too much experience with moss except for when people ask to get rid of it! I was curious about the idea of transplanting and did a little looking around on the subject and it turns out there are companies that specialize in moss and moss transplanting. Who knew? So I guess if moss can survive shipping and be planted there should be no reason for you to not be able to transplant some to your Lanai.

This seemed to be pretty informative: Moss Acres: Technical Questions

Yeah country life is a lot of hard work, and by the seasons. To me it is well worth the effort. I get life bennies as I am battered up bad, and on the use it or loose it program. If I stop moving, so will my body, so that's a big reason to bust my tail as hard as I can, while it hurts a lot.

Then we get to know what is in the foods we grow, which isn't much. We make sure any manuers was not from animals that eat weed killers, or other man made grow it fast chems. What goes in comes out ya know?

The monster is a moose after the antlers were shed. Moose are a cousin to deer and drop antlers in Spring. That little boy isn't fully grown either. That was Spring 2010. I make maple syrup, so I was just out in the swamp gathering in buckets.

The track was a part of the local rural fair grounds. There are steel and cement bleachers stand knocked down and covered in moss and lickens around. I plan to gather that junk up and bury it someday.

Thanks for spelling Lanai correctly. That words gets to me bad.. I only heard of that word a few years ago sitting in someone elses.

Whoa! what a great link? I began to reply, and allowed time for the link to load. 56 k mo dumb here That's a keeper...

Turns out I have all 4 kinds they offer right here, but this page shows the lind in the woods like a big carpet I want to move to here.
Moss Acres: #67

At the current level of use i don't think I will need slates, or freebie rocks which are harder to come by in my area as semi flat.

I can say that first I have no idea how to build a stone wall really, but then with round rocks that can be a real challange. Most all these rocks are glaicer dumped and ground rounded like river rocks get. None are soft rocks either, mainly granite, shist and other ignious rocks, all hard.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
A cement statuary maker once told me he mixed existing moss in a blender with yogurt to establish moss on statues to give them an ancient look.
Once told I take it means you are no longer in contact huh? I'ld like a bit more detail for that idea.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 AM

On that site this page has the desired effect I am after
Moss Acres: #43
The layout I have is far different, but the effect is the same.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
On that site this page has the desired effect I am after
Moss Acres: #43
The layout I have is far different, but the effect is the same.

That's so beautiful, like a temperate rainforest. Hope you have a lot of moisture where you want to get it started. I'm glad you like the website.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Butter milk works also.

Blend 2 cups of butter milk or yogurt with 1 1/2 cups of moss. Spread the mixture over rocks using a paint brush. Moss likes shade, moisture, and a low soil ph.

busta

Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
That's so beautiful, like a temperate rainforest. Hope you have a lot of moisture where you want to get it started. I'm glad you like the website.
I would guess since it is for free , and growing in the pine barrens just 300 feet away, that moving it, and planting it on the same day, should work. I will follow the instructions as if it were store bought, like water it for 3 weeks, press it down, etc.

When I posted this thread I had never before heard of doing this, and wondered.

After the links and a little reading, this will be a little work, and a little child's play. at 59 I am still a child ya know?

If I get lucky I may have photos of this part done by Father's Day. It isn't fathers day that is important, but it is Laconia Bike Week that is, and with friends and family coming for that, it would be nice if this much is done.

I will see after the current rains stop, if i can get a pic of the pine barren before I go and mess it up.

I will do my best to fix that too, but I might not aim for more new moss, but a mix of hard woods which should be there. The moss should not be there. The moss came because man screwed up.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Default Moss is in

The first starting some years ago now

About the same view. The above is title incorrectly if you check properties, this view is looking Nor East.

This is the start of mossin' in

This is mossed in

This is a close up of the type of moss I chose.

This link is the rest of the pics, showing other kinds of moss, and the pine barrens and assorted related place I see each day.
Lanai pictures by Mac_Muz - Photobucket

Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
NIIICE! Hopefully it will do well. I did a teeeny tiny version of the same thing at my pond. I moved a little piece of moss about 5X5 from under some pines to the pond area. I kept it wet for a couple of days, but it's not dead yet. I'd be curious to know how the moss takes in a couple of weeks.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Well there can be no question I am about to find out.

Special thanks to J&Em. With out that link I would be havin a hissey fit about now.

Kinkytoes see his link on page 1 low on the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden