Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
oh get off your high horse. i read all the posts and i didnt see anyone else offering tips and tricks on how to transport mulch to various places more easily. maybe you consider calling various people or begging immigrants to be a trick but i dont.
Those with reading comprehension issues and an inability to actually answer the question on a thread tend to puff up and get offensive the most. Have fun thumping your chest some more instead of helping the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
As we speak we have a strapping 17 y.o. boy spreading our mulch for $12.00 per hour. He is working hard and I think it will work out fine. Thanks to all who offered assistance with my original post and a special thanks to J&Em for your support and to cittic 10 for your kind remarks.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
How much is it worth TO YOU?
Now THAT'S the bottom line!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
As we speak we have a strapping 17 y.o. boy spreading our mulch for $12.00 per hour. He is working hard and I think it will work out fine. Thanks to all who offered assistance with my original post and a special thanks to J&Em for your support and to cittic 10 for your kind remarks.
Oh awesome! Congrats for finding good affordable help Kudzu!

I was thinking if you would have been closer, we (hubby and I) would have offered to help in exchange for some good seeds or cuttings, but I am guessing you aren't anywhere close, lol!

Old 05-27-2012, 07:05 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times
Mulching is hard!! I'm 60 and my Dad is 83, he does it all the time. We never use a rake, "flipping the shovel" spreads it. I'm thinking around here, I could get someone for 10.00 an hour. Oh I need someone to clean my gutters, I'm thinking 10.00 an hour for that too.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,819 times
Exclamation not so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'm not suprised of the reaction. It is insulting to tell an adult what you can pay a teenager to do the job you are hiring them to do. So, it looks like your bluff was called. What to pay? Do you want it done right or done cheap. It looks like right walk away when insulted.

The OP might try posting on the bulletin board at the local library, grocery store, and garden shop if they will let you. You might also ask your pastor, if you have one, if he knows anyone from your parish in need of some work.
I was happy to hire three adult men to chainsaw a tree that had come down in my yard. They were husband and friends of a coworker and actually had good references. This was in the fall...I made a pot of hot coffee after they arrived and walked to the back yard to find them puffing on a joint and reving up their chainsaw...I paid them for the 30 minutes they were there and that was that. Wish kids in our neighborhood would work for $10.00 an hour...
Koale

Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
. They were husband and friends of a coworker and actually had good references.
Personal friends are a different story. I pay my buddies pizza & beer and they were happy to help out. The key words here is "help out", they are not doing it for the money if they were friends.

Quote:
This was in the fall...I made a pot of hot coffee after they arrived and walked to the back yard to find them puffing on a joint and reving up their chainsaw...I paid them for the 30 minutes they were there and that was that. Wish kids in our neighborhood would work for $10.00 an hour...
Koale
Puffing up a joint, eh? Oh that works really well with chain saw !

Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Oh I need someone to clean my gutters, I'm thinking 10.00 an hour for that too.
Ummm... gutter cleaning take 15-20 minutes, I highly doubt you will find anyone to do it for $2.50-$3.33.
Seriously.
They will spend more on gas getting to your house.

Gutter cleaning runs 25-40 dollars here, flat fee.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummm... gutter cleaning take 15-20 minutes, I highly doubt you will find anyone to do it for $2.50-$3.33.
Seriously.
They will spend more on gas getting to your house.

Gutter cleaning runs 25-40 dollars here, flat fee.
Maybe for a doll house.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
So I paid the 17 y.o. football player $80 for his work and then the next day 2 scrawny 15 y.o. boys came and got most of it done. I paid each one $55. Both times I gave them a bonus. It was not just dump a mess of mulch. I have a lot of perennials and in the beds they had to scoop up mulch by the bucketfull and carefully place it around the plants making sure not to put any mulch up to the stems of the plants. I also had them empty about 20 huge planters of old potting soil, crush some nursery pots for filler in the bottom of these containers and then dump in new potting soil. They worked hard, without breaks, no smoking and were courteous. i was happy to pay these young men for hard work and it gave me a chance to further teach my 10 y.o. girls the importance of a strong work ethic. We were working along them as much as we could. All 3 boys were eager to come back to do some pressure washing of our deck furniture and do some weed eating later. I'm very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden