Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

yeah try the BACKyard instead. That's just a mess. Property values of others matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 02:03 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Here's the thing, I'd be willing to bet that even if the garden was more "traditionally" organized the neighbors would have still have an issue.

C'mon, we live in an age when people say publicly that a house that doesn't have a lawn in front signifies that the residents are drug dealers (true story, by the way. I pointed out that I don't have a lawn in front of my house and the woman just gave me that stupid look).

Old 01-08-2014, 02:14 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
A resounding YES to that. Even if I didn't like the man's garden (but I do), why would that affect my decision? I'm not buying his house. I'm buying the one next door. I'm really at a loss to understand your line of reasoning. If your (future) neighbour isn't a criminal, nothing he/she does is any of your concern.
I have nothing against gardens and I like the idea of houses that don't look cookie cutter.

At the same time, I would still care somewhat about what neighborhood houses look like if i were buying.
What if my neighbour is not a criminal but he has like 3 rusting cars on his front yard ? What if his house is painted with legal but completely ridiculous looking patterns and graffitti ( it's probably legal to graff your own house) ? The dude in that story just looks like a lazy hippie who doesn't care much about other people.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:41 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Prof that you can take the pig out of a pig pen, but you can't take the pig pen out of a pig.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
I think his neighbors would be much less likely to complain if his yard looked more like this Front Yard Vegetable Garden (scroll down for the picture). I don't think he is going to win this battle. I'm all for folks being able to do with their property as they see fit as long as it doesn't become a blight or a health hazard. The logs and stumps that he has around the yard will attract termites (if they haven't already). I could almost understand it if the rest of his property looked like it was being kept up but it doesn't. The bushes/shrubs by his house look way overgrown too. I don't think Florida friendly landscaping means
"don't do anything at all and let everything grow wild."

Last edited by pnc66; 01-08-2014 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-08-2014, 04:30 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
By-law enforcement seems to be based on who calls in to complain.
(I'm going to start a separate thread just on that; doesn't make any sense that enforcement would be based on someone being more the compainer)
Arthur Erickson, the famous Vancouver architect, went the rounds for years with his expensive neighbors over allowing his yard to go through the seasons. But to be fined for going "natural"/? In this day and age??

Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
I think his neighbors would be much less likely to complain if his yard looked more like this Front Yard Vegetable Garden (scroll down for the picture). I don't think he is going to win this battle. I'm all for folks being able to do with their property as they see fit as long as it doesn't become a blight or a health hazard. The logs and stumps that he has around the yard will attract termites (if they haven't already). I could almost understand it if the rest of his property looked like it was being kept up but it doesn't. The bushes/shrubs by his house look way overgrown too. I don't think Florida friendly landscaping means
"don't do anything at all and let everything grow wild."
In Buffalo, NY, front yard gardens have become all the rage, and they're spreading throughout WNY. (Buffalo Garden Walk 2008 - a set on Flickr and Buffalo Gardenwalk 2011 - a set on Flickr and Buffalo Gardenwalk 2013 - a set on Flickr ).

I've had most of my front lawn in Jamestown in garden for about 7 years, and now I'm starting on the tree lawn between the sidewalk and the curb:

I haven't planted any veggies out front yet, but I'm thinking about a zucchini, dill, and maybe some brightly colored swiss chard. I wouldn't plant veggies in the tree lawn because too many people walk their dogs along my street , but the dogs stay off the actual front yard because I have landscape roses rambling along a small bank next to the sidewalk (see top photo).

Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Linda, your garden is pretty and adds to the neighborhood. The yard in the article is way chaotic.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:38 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Linda, your garden is pretty and adds to the neighborhood. The yard in the article is way chaotic.
Which is the problem.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
By-law enforcement seems to be based on who calls in to complain.
(I'm going to start a separate thread just on that; doesn't make any sense that enforcement would be based on someone being more the compainer)
Arthur Erickson, the famous Vancouver architect, went the rounds for years with his expensive neighbors over allowing his yard to go through the seasons. But to be fined for going "natural"/? In this day and age??

Natural...haha.......there's no place in Florida or anywhere else I know of in this country whre broccoli, bananas, loofa sponges, and beauty berries and watermelons just pop up naturally.

You have to put them there. Also, I would be really surprised if Mr. Laws "garden" doesn't require as much irrigation as a lawn in order to produce fruit/vegetables. You cant grow stuff like that in Florida without water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden