Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

I'd be thrilled to be his neighbor. I'd be friendly, too, in hopes that he'd share some of those beautiful fruits and veggies with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 02:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'd be thrilled to be his neighbor. I'd be friendly, too, in hopes that he'd share some of those beautiful fruits and veggies with me.
What beautiful fruits and veggies? All of the photos they used in the video were stock photos. Those were not actual photos of the stuff he grew. The only things we see that is authentically his are the loofah and that orange squash.

We don't know what the other real veggies looked like. Also, since he is doing nothing, that means that pests have been free to move about. Bugs and small animals will munch on the veggies. There's also the problem of heat and sun.

I question how much output is he really getting.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:42 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Every property should be that way.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That sound would affect my quality of life within the walls of my house. What a person grows in their own yard does not affect the quality of life I have in the walls of my house. Not at all comparable.
So, as long as you NEVER leave the interior of your house, all would be good. But seeing that yard would affect the quality of MY life. So, you are saying that your auditory sense is the ONLY sense that affect quality of life. Ok, how about giant swastikas in bright orange painted on the front and side of your neighbor's house. No? Wouldn't affect your quality of life? How about piles of manure lining the property line between your neighbor's home and yours. Does the sense of smell affect your quality of life, or is it only sight that counts?

Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
So, as long as you NEVER leave the interior of your house, all would be good. But seeing that yard would affect the quality of MY life. So, you are saying that your auditory sense is the ONLY sense that affect quality of life. Ok, how about giant swastikas in bright orange painted on the front and side of your neighbor's house. No? Wouldn't affect your quality of life? How about piles of manure lining the property line between your neighbor's home and yours. Does the sense of smell affect your quality of life, or is it only sight that counts?
The government couldn't do a thing about swastikas painted on a house; that's a First Amendment right. I'm sure that there are many here who would ban the swastika along with Confederate flags; some would probably wish to prohibit American flags and Nativity scenes as well because these might adversely affect some sensitive member of an alien culture. But we also have the Fourth Amendment which states that we are to be secure in our homes. That certainly includes our food supplies. When the government comes after our food we're in big trouble.

Please look at the picture again and note that it is simply a natural environment. Mr. Law obviously makes sure that there is no debris or junk allowed to remain in this environment should one of his "neighbors" be in the mood for a bit of vandalism. It's as beautiful as any completely natural setting although it has a variety of cultivated plants. It gladdens the heart of this conservative Republican but I'm not surprised that his RINO neighbors hate it.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Seriously? These people must be bored. Eyesores are abandoned buildings, overgrown and filthy vacant lots, dead trees, overflowing garbage, etc. where I live, but a garden? I wish.

Don't like the garden? Don't look.

UM, you clearly did not look at the article. It is the entire front yard and it looks like exactly what you are describing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Longwood FL is completely littered with foreclosed homes. How about fining those folks for dragging down property values before someone that is actually living in the place and paying taxes?
Considering that what he is actively doing looks worse than most abandoned foreclosures I have seen, seems like they are on the right track here.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What beautiful fruits and veggies? All of the photos they used in the video were stock photos. Those were not actual photos of the stuff he grew. The only things we see that is authentically his are the loofah and that orange squash.

We don't know what the other real veggies looked like. Also, since he is doing nothing, that means that pests have been free to move about. Bugs and small animals will munch on the veggies. There's also the problem of heat and sun.

I question how much output is he really getting.
They said he was growing that stuff and the tomatoes and arugula looked like they were growing there. I have no idea.

But I find his yard less offensive than a heavily watered, fertilized and poisoned lawn that does nothing for anyone or anything.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:17 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Everyone is missing the point. He is legally required to clean up the yard, and he refused to do so. He is not obeying the law. He knows what needs to be done and is capable of doing so, but he refuses. Actions, or in this case in-actions, have consequences.

As far as whether the laws are fair or not, consider that weeds are refuges for pests, including bugs, larvae, fungi, and bacteria. Overgrown annual weeds especially are a fertile substrate for pests, and rodents, snakes, and other vermin will prefer to nest there. At a certain point it becomes a health issue. Back yard or front yard doesn't really matter. It is just that when such a mess is in the backyard no one sees it so no one complains about it.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
But I find his yard less offensive than a heavily watered, fertilized and poisoned lawn that does nothing for anyone or anything.
I agree with you. I'm a fan of the front yard garden. I just prefer it to have some organization.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:45 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Why do we accept this system as correct? Why do we let ourselves be dictated by some arbitrary code of what makes a house appreciate or depreciate in value? If I'm buying a home, I couldn't care less what the neighbour's houses and yards looked like. As long as I knew they weren't drug-dealers or psychopaths, I really wouldn't care. Why do we allow property prices to be influenced by the appearance of neighbouring properties?

I don't see anything rough or junky-looking in his garden. I see a beautiful, lush vegetable garden. If I were buying a home in his area, a glimpse of his garden would encourage me in my purchase.
Your attitude will probably help you get a bargain home. Enjoy living in it. But I'd be willing to bet that a majority agrees with me that we would prefer to live in places where our neighbors kept their properties looking attractive to normal expectations. But no matter what our personal esthetic, this person was in violation of the law. I have no sympathy for him. I had to pay $200 to remove a tree from my front yard recently. Because even though I had it professionally trimmed every year, authorities deemed it to be obstructing the stop sign at the end of my cul de sac. I didn't plant the tree, the company that built my house put in in — probably when it was shorter than the stop sign. Nevertheless, I had to pay the bill. Dem's da breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden