Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:11 PM

730 posts, read 1,302,618 times

Advertisements

The former owners of the house I bought last year. There is a special place in Hades reserved for these people, if there's any justice in the universe.

They apparantly never weeded, AND they deliberately planted invasives throughout the garden!!

Current weeds in the beds: bindweed, dandelion, pokeweed, Persicaria perfoliata, wild mustard and wild garlic. There's also that creeping rubus (?) that is armed everywhere with spines other than on the roots, and spreads forever underground. Plus plain old grass that they let seed there.

Weeds in the lawn: dandelion, white clover

Invasive plants: wisteria, cardinal climber, Houttonyia cordata, tiger lily, tawny daylily.

And let's not forget that they had 6 or 7 rose of sharon which seeded themselves through the beds and grass. One day I had my son come over and take the chainsaw to them; they're all sprouting from the bases but at least they're at a height at which I can keep cutting them back myself.

Oh and the yard has a number of oak trees, as do the neighboring yards as well. These people don't seem to ever have pulled any of the resulting seedlings out. Oaks belong in Sherwood Forest, not in half-acre suburbia, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 01:19 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
What about the guy who cuts my lawn, who insists on dragging my lawn furniture into the vegetable garden when he mows. I hope I can catch him next week and give him hell.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:21 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What about the guy who cuts my lawn, who insists on dragging my lawn furniture into the vegetable garden when he mows. I hope I can catch him next week and give him hell.
You're a brave woman, Ohiogirl, to leave your lawn furniture (and your vegetable garden) to the lawn guy's discretion! I learned long ago to move it myself before lawn mowing day. They're going to do what's fastest and easiest and then on to the next lawn.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:27 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I live in the Portland area and weeds are a rampant, stubborn problem here. I hate them all! But I particularly hate the wild moss in my flowerbeds the most. They're a big pain to remove, and I'm always afraid to use packaged moss killer in the beds. Wish I knew a way to prevent the damn stuff from forming.

Hahaha ......RIGHT Bluesmama? Um, yes, we have lots of rain and moderate temps here in the PNW. Yes, yes......plants grow amazingly well....and if folks think gardens and flowers grow well here?.....just imagine the weeds we deal with AND just how fast they grow!!!!!

Old 04-12-2017, 12:16 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
great idea for a thread, i was contemplating starting something similar.

for plants - oriental bittersweet, hands down. that plant is from hell.

bugwise it would be squash borers. they'll probably get my pumpkins again this year.
bittersweet is still number one, but I'm going to add wild grapevine as a close second.

they show up everywhere and are so hard to get rid of.

also, even though it's my favorite tree bar none, I'm getting tired of all the black cherry seedlings popping up everywhere, in part because I like them so much I hate pulling them up.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Bambi

Bambi even comes up on our porch, jumps up against the porch posts and eats the hanging pot flowers.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:07 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
We bought a wonderful house on a 1/2 acre of land in Wyoming, the house was perfect. The yard was never attended to. My nemesis is sage brush and lots of it.

When we moved in it was winter and the snow covered up all of the sage brush plants. Now that the snow has melted they are clearly visible all over our backyard. They are a huge pain to pull out, we're going to have to rent equipment to remove them. Ugh. I just want them gone.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:50 PM

76 posts, read 94,446 times
Goodness, I can sympathize with many of you. Poa Annua is a constant in our lawn and garden, though we have a regimen of pre-emergent and we actually pull any we find anywhere and put those in the garbage--never the compost! The latest "worst" thing was discovering that we had "purchased" compost last year that obviously had a huge crop of nut grass/nutsedge in it that now must be removed by hand---GRRRR! We stay ahead of the deer with a repugnant spray that works IF I spray regularly and after rains. Still, it's a passion, this working in the soil, and often I think it's why I get up each morning! Thanks for an interesting post--it's great sharing misery. ��

Old 04-12-2017, 06:27 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Mine is just a big fat, HUH? For example, I have a flower bed with 2 Gerberas. One is flowering right now, and one, 5 feet away has up and died. They both made it through the winter, and both had flowers until recently. I fail to understand southern gardening. I keep plugging away at it, but I don't understand why anything succeeds or fails.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:42 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Hummm...sod we put in near a reconfigured flower bed did well in the summer/fall, now it is dead as a doornail. Have to replace.

Cinch bug, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden