Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 09:30 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times

Advertisements

Hi Garden Forum, I'm a first time poster in here.. but hopefully will start to post more, I just never noticed this forum before.

I'm wanting to know more about Persimmon trees, do any of you live in areas where these are a common tree?? When I lived in SE Iowa on the MO border, there were quite a few of these trees, but I have a feeling that is as far North as they grow... I'm wondering where I could aquire of one of these trees as you normally don't find them at a Lowe's or a regular nursery, etc....

I now live in Central IA and would love to be able to grow one of these trees, they are beautiful all year long and I hear they have a great tasting fruit.

Well thanks in advance for your answers, and if you don't have answers its okay because I asked something about this in the IA forum and got no replies... I pictured people looking at their computers like this...

Thanks Gardeners!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Hi Ya Metro Check out this web site:
Trees - The Arbor Day Foundation

It's very informative there's probably stuff there about persimmon trees. I think they have zone charts, etc.

I LOVE trees, and would be a member there still, except I no longer have land on which to plant. Lol, one year I did the membership thing and gave away all my trees; my friends thought I was nuts.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Hi Ya Metro Check out this web site:
Trees - The Arbor Day Foundation

It's very informative there's probably stuff there about persimmon trees. I think they have zone charts, etc.

I LOVE trees, and would be a member there still, except I no longer have land on which to plant. Lol, one year I did the membership thing and gave away all my trees; my friends thought I was nuts.
Cool that you love trees! So do I!!! I used to look at them in the Encyclopedia when I was 3 yrs old, and have had a corky fascination with them ever since. I would probably be able to name just about any (American) tree you point at... maybe we should have a competition.

Lol sorry I don't mean to ramble... i'll check out the link though.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
I live in Tennessee and persimmons are somewhat common here (although not nearly as common as oaks, poplars, and other hardwoods).

At my parent's house we had a persimmon in the backyard which produced a lot of fruit. The mockingbird who "owned" the yard would protect his crop of persimmons all winter long. It used to be great fun just to watch him/her chase away all the other birds.

They are somewhat messy trees to have in the yard. Are you sure you want one?

I'm not sure where you would get a small nursery-stock tree to set out. Any interest in seeds? I could get all you want but it would probably be next fall before I could.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:23 PM

I know they are messy but that doesn't bother me, they make up for it with the way the fruit and leaves look in the fall. Right now I live in an apt. but my mom lives on three acres so I could always plant one out there even though she hates those trees.

Seeds would be cool, but I've never planted a tree by seeds... guess I never thought of it, but if it was a last resort, I would do it I suppose. I would really like to get one that's already a couple years old if it was possible though.

btw you are so lucky these grow commonly in your state! (what a weird thing to be jealous of, right?)

Old 01-31-2008, 03:33 PM

When we were kids we would dare each other to bite into a green persimmon. That's quite an experience.

Here's another thought, there are some Asian persimmons that you can order from nurseries. The fruit is a bit larger than American persimmon, I believe (I'm no expert on them). Your mother might even be more forgetting of that type of persimmon.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:48 PM

OH, I bit into a green one not realizing the consequences, I think I almost cried. You know? They should use raw persimmons at dentist offices to numb your mouth instead of medication.

As for Asian Persimmon, I wasn't even aware there was any other type of Persimmon that grows in America, besides the American Persimmon. I will check into this as well, because it may end up growing better in this climate anyhow.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:10 PM

I'm going by memory about the Asian persimmons; I could very well be wrong about them growing here.

I would offer to send you a little persimmon, but before I made that promise I'd have to be sure I could actually identify a very small persimmon out in the woods somewhere (I live in Nashville but also have a place out in the country). Mature persimmons are easy enough to identify, I'm just not sure about a little two-foot tall one.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Well I emailed some rep. at arborday.org, and they were nice, but told me that central IA wasn't a very good zone for these trees.. appearently SE Iowa is in Zone 6 and that is able to support them, but that they aren't hardy enough for Zone 5 Winters.. which is where I currently am.
-Thank you guys for your help!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Hi Garden Forum, I'm a first time poster in here.. but hopefully will start to post more, I just never noticed this forum before.

I'm wanting to know more about Persimmon trees, do any of you live in areas where these are a common tree?? When I lived in SE Iowa on the MO border, there were quite a few of these trees, but I have a feeling that is as far North as they grow... I'm wondering where I could aquire of one of these trees as you normally don't find them at a Lowe's or a regular nursery, etc....

I now live in Central IA and would love to be able to grow one of these trees, they are beautiful all year long and I hear they have a great tasting fruit.

Well thanks in advance for your answers, and if you don't have answers its okay because I asked something about this in the IA forum and got no replies... I pictured people looking at their computers like this...

Thanks Gardeners!
American Persimmon is common across all of the eastern US, more so in the south. You will need one that is cold hardy in Iowa. Check out Oikos, they're located in MI, so theirs should work for you. You will also need a male and a female to produce fruit. You'd need to plant several trees to ensure you get both sexes. I do have an Asian persimmon known as "Fuyu", but I doubt Asian persimmons would survive the cold of Iowa.
http://oikostreecrops.com/store/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=307&strPageHi story=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=117 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden