Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:02 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Interesting article about glyphospate considering all the recent scares. The EPA says it's safe to use and does not pose a threat when used as directed. Their findings were made as part of their registration review.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...t-cause-cancer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 07:20 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I've always thought it safe. Used it since I first bought a house in 1983.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:49 AM

949 posts, read 572,763 times
I am not sure I believe a statement excluding the data. And I certainly do not trust humans to "use as directed".
Even if the product is "used as directed", what happens to the concentration collection from runoff?

Old 05-01-2019, 07:49 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Eh, I wouldn't trust these findings. Science is always changing. There was a time they told us butter was bad for you. Now it's not. Besides, weedkillers have other chemicals other glyphosate in them that are harmful.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:51 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Interesting article about glyphospate considering all the recent scares. The EPA says it's safe to use and does not pose a threat when used as directed. Their findings were made as part of their registration review.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...t-cause-cancer
Yes but will California believe this?

We could not live out here in rural west Texas without glyphosate.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
I am not sure I believe a statement excluding the data. And I certainly do not trust humans to "use as directed".
Even if the product is "used as directed", what happens to the concentration collection from runoff?
Roundup binds to the soil and then begins to break up. It doesn't travel due to runoff like other chemicals nor penetrates into the water table.

https://www.hunker.com/12216862/how-...p-stay-in-soil

Old 05-01-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Yes but will California believe this?

We could not live out here in rural west Texas without glyphosate.
I live in CA. As of now, the state has no plans to take it off the market.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
disadvantages of glyphosate: it kills almost any green plant it touches, so, over-spray can be a problem

Advantages of glyphosate;

-kills most weeds; resistance (the natural response of a population to a threat) has been slow to develop

-works by disrupting a certain enzyme system that make certain amino acids only in plants, ie- does not poison animals

- it is absorbed by the plants' leaves, is transported to the roots, where it works, ie- the above-ground portion, including the seeds/fruits are not affected and have low concentration of the stuff even right after application.

-short half-life-- it's degraded and harmless after just a few days (could be considered a dis-advantage--weeds can grow back quickly)

- a naturally occurring gene for resistance to glyphosate is present in Nature and can be easily transferred to crop seeds-- That allows the farmers to use this herbicide with minimal effect on the environment in preference to other herbicides which last longer and are more toxic to plants & animals... An excellent compromise....Use of chemicals in ag doesn't increase average yield. They make it much less likely there will be large scale loss of crops in a bad year--->"Food Security"

-it has not been shown in most studies to change illness rates in farmers, their families (hi exposure groups) or in any consumer groups (lo exposure groups). A few less than perfect studies have shown problems in rats or some human populations, but most show no problems and meta-analysis (averaging all the studies) show no problems.

Note that the EU has banned it, mainly to protect their own farmers from US competition, and ONE court case in CA (better named Fantasyland) has found it to be the cause of a gardener's lymphoma, even though he mis-used it several times, failed to bathe after spilling it on himself several times and despite the fact that lymphoma is a very common problem. How did they determine that HIS case was not natural, but CAUSED by the exposure? Stupid.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
A friend of mine who is an EPA toxicologist told me to never use roundup, especially not on my property that fronts on a river.

If I remember, I will ask him about this article.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:21 AM

949 posts, read 572,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Roundup binds to the soil and then begins to break up. It doesn't travel due to runoff like other chemicals nor penetrates into the water table.

https://www.hunker.com/12216862/how-...p-stay-in-soil
I read it earlier. That it not enough to be convincing. Those are the results from a controlled environment. Trusting a human to follow directions is a scary thought. I would like to get the Roundup sales data and math it against areas across the country and test soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden