Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 10:58 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I have my eye on a stand-up weeder to remove dandelions, etc. from my lawn. Do any of you use such a thing? My concern is how well it works, but even more how well it holds up.

The Fiskars (link below) gets tons of reviews and overall good ratings, but those who complain seem to have the same problem: it doesn't hold up because of its plastic parts. Any recommendations?

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/garden...aw-339950-1001

BTW, I realize I can beat the price shown on the above website.

Dandelions are impossible to remove after they poke their heads up since their tap roots are so deep and they broadcast their seeds quickly.

The only way I know, depending on where you live (growing season), cut your lawn to the quick (all the way to the dirt), rake up and dispose of the cuttings. Put a commercial weed and feed on the prepared ground and wait at least a week so that the weed killer can neutralize itself. Next sow grass seed and lightly rake the seed into the ground so it is covered.

Do this real early, between snows even. Seed likes cool heads and relatively warm soil. Water the seeded soil with a fine spray. DON'T WALK ON THE SEEDS! Have patience. Let the grass get at least 2 inches tall. Invest in a mulching mower. Cut the grass and let the cut grass fall where it lays from now on. If there are clumps, break them up.

Enjoy.

P.S. Unless you have an Ag agent tell you to do it, don't bother with commercial lime stone or "plug" machines used on greens or paths worn smooth and water impereable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 02:59 PM

6,359 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
a) Because they work.
b) I suspect the OP isn't able/willing to get on his knees to do it right.
c) Doing it right (2 sq feet at a time)... is easier when most of the weeds are already dead.
This is by far the best way to weed so that you are able to see and remove all of the roots to ensure it’s not coming back!

Old 12-21-2019, 02:06 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
This isn't a stand up weeder, nothing fancy and you have to bend over to get up close and personal. Probably not what anyone wants to know about.

I use an ordinary long bladed, curved, pointy tipped boning or fileting knife. Stab it into the ground at a 90 degree angle close to the plant to slice through the root deep down and simply pluck the whole plant and attached root out of the ground and toss it. Easy peasy, no struggling or fussing. The remaining bottom tip of the root in the ground dies and rots in the ground, and there is no hole showing on the surface where the plant was growing out of. Quick and easy. I do sharpen the blade with a file from time to time because it can get knicked or dulled from sliding between stones. Knives like this serve many multiple purposes in the garden and every gardener should have one in their gardening tools bucket. Can easily be found in 2nd hand stores and flea markets if you don't want to get something new. Like this:

Old 12-21-2019, 06:54 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
That is what I use, been using it for years. Do it when the soil is moist, a day or so after a rain.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:01 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
That is what I use, been using it for years. Do it when the soil is moist, a day or so after a rain.
I really do appreciate the feedback. I'm about to abandon the stand-up idea and just continue doing it how I have been, but before I do...one last question...

Why (do you think) so many reviews of this product show it breaking?

Old 12-22-2019, 06:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I really do appreciate the feedback. I'm about to abandon the stand-up idea and just continue doing it how I have been, but before I do...one last question...

Why (do you think) so many reviews of this product show it breaking?
I don’t know, maybe they’re trying to pry rocks with it or something. Like I said though, I’ve had mine for years, can’t even remember where or when I bought it. I believe I did buy it at a local place though, Tractor Supply, Southern States, something like that maybe.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Ha ha ha...I like the by hand weed removal part...
BTW. Where I live, soil IS rocks and clay. One I showed works just fine and take tap on the handle to release weed. Yeah, sure, it will catch rock ever so often.. turn it upside down and slam handle into the ground.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:10 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
I’ve been using the fiskers for years. No problems. At least you don’t have to touch the weed. It has an ejection system.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:39 PM

7,051 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Dig those dandelions in the early spring before they bloom and eat ‘em.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:59 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Dig those dandelions in the early spring before they bloom and eat ‘em.
I loved my grandmother's recipe for dandelions. she made them with a bacon dressing sweet and sour sauce and I would wolf those down every time. To bad I don't have the recipe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden