Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 05:31 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

First.... Update on soil temps. Coolest in years this time of year. Have not hit 80° yet. (Green line is this year)

Yesterdays harvest... Another exciting day. (Lol). Jet Star again.

Jet Star 2
Rapunzel(cherry) 2
Steak Sandwich 1
Homestead 0
Delicious 0
Aces 0

See anything? Exciting! Sunflower! But its happening on the 7 footers...

Check out this beast... Almost 9.5 feet now and no flower yet!

Zoomed in. Reaching for the sun

Pumpkin patch, waiting for some pumpkins. Need more heat. A lot of male flowers

I'm letting some runners "run wild". 15 feet runners

Tomatoes.. I'll be feeding them 20-20-20. Ones on far right getting a fungus so I'll spray with fungicide. Had some heavy rains 2-3 weeks ago and soil splashed up onto the lower leaves.

The cold snowy March having effect again I believe. I noticed when we have cold springs the garden really lags.

End of July in 2016 was looking good with harvests. We had a warm March
Beginning of July 2012 was looking FULL. We had a very warm Spring

See the little cukes? Still waiting for the first one. I really want to pickle some this year. Better get some good yields. Only 2 months left if they make it

Last edited by Cambium; 07-16-2020 at 05:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 05:15 AM

July 17, 2020. 2 Good Pics. 2 Bad Pics.

Rapunzel. My favorite cherry tomato plant. Incredible yields and tastes so good. Not super sweet like some others.

While walking around look what I found! Exciting! My 1st Cukes going to be ready shortly.

Now for the challenges...

Cucumber Leaf spot. It's basically an infection (not the Corona Virus)

The fancy name for this is Anthracnose. It's most common in wet and warm conditions and regions with high humidity.. This area is very humid so we're familiar with this fungus

The fungus actually germinates in mild and moisture conditions and that's why it shows up more mid Summer.

I will either spray with a fungicide or remove the leaves and throw out (Do not compost them!) and see if removing helps a little. Probably not.

Couple of Tomato plants showing signs of Septoria leaf spot. Ironically I started watering in the evening which didn't help or even caused it.. I also used an old scissor to remove some of the infected leafs couple weeks ago. Wet conditions helps spread this.

I will be spraying with fungicide or Baking soda mix. 1 Gallon Water with 1 Tablespoon of Baking soda

Splitting some firewood. Can't wait for Fall and Winter. Love our seasons here.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:08 AM

I Sprayed Ortho Disease Control. Just something I hate to do but in this area there's no choice sometimes. Even though I didn't have to cover them, I did, why not right?

You can see the far left ones got hit & I had to remove and discard the leaves.

It drizzled, Misted, and rained yesterday morning all morning. Everything was so damp. Mushrooms growing from ground. Now we are getting so humid again.

My harvest of Garlic and Carrots. LOL

Old 07-18-2020, 06:54 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
My tomatoes are doing well. The cakes were horrible and I pulled them out. My pepper has aphids. Not a good year so far. Have to spray with peroxide today.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:56 PM

Update: Sunday July 19, 2020. Its currently 93° outside and sunny with a Dewpoint of 68° so its Hot and HUMID! Feels like 100° in the shade. I watered garden twice already

Ignore the Humidity reading, nobody uses that anymore. It's muggy outside that why dewpoints are a better measure of how humid it is.

Check this out! I didn't realize the soil temps in the pots would be different but this is proof why soil dries out quicker in pots and why you need to water every single day and twice on days like today...

98.9° in this one!

93.7° in this one

104.3° in this one!!!!!! WOW!

After watering I checked the pot that was 104 and it dropped to 98. Still hot but gees I never checked all these years.. Just knew to water.

Hot peppers in the pots are doing well!

Another row of Hot peppers

Did I make a mistake letting a pumpkin runner climb my string bean trellis? lol

Wonder if it will hold up a Pumpkin. This should be interesting. lol

Exciting! Finally! Cucumbers finally growing. Gees. Been feeding them 22-8-16 MG.

Mowed my lawn today before it got super hot. 5.5" down to 3.1". No bagging. Left the moist clippings on the lawn.

1st year growing Sunflowers is a success....so far!. This spot was where a 60 foot Colorado Spruce tree was that got hit by lightning 2 yrs ago and got toasted. It was taken down and top soil was added. Not even compost. I only fed the sunflowers once. It gets full sun here.

The top of the ladder is 8 feet tall. So the tallest Sunflower is now 10 feet high! And a little flower is finally blooming on it.

The trunk and roots on these things are thick! I didn't expect that for a sunflower plant.

The flower on the 8 foot one

Old 07-20-2020, 05:35 AM

July 20, 2020. A little colorful post. Flower Update::

One Impatien died, and the stems seem to be breaking off this one. Will not grow from seed again next year.

Petunia's still going even with the heat and humidity. Been watering everyday. Will grow these again from seed next year

Four O Clocks still haven't bloomed anything but look close, looks like a fusion color blossom happening. If they bloom I might grow these again as they seem to be strong enough not to need maintenance often

Bachelor Buttons will not grow again

Old 07-20-2020, 05:37 AM

July 20, 2020. Final Onion Harvest of 2020.

9 more reds
34 White
15 Yellow

Couple of the whites came out a decent size. My goal in the future is to get them HUGE

Check out those roots!

Old 07-20-2020, 07:12 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Looks like this weather is gonna finish off the tomatoes too. I have them in pots as I have had them for the past 4 years with no problem, but they are looking like they are on their last legs the past two days. I water them twice a day, but I think even the moisture control soil from Miracle Grow is not able to keep up with the heat and the soil just gets too hot. I will keep my eye on it and see if they can be saved but I doubt it.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
My tomatoes are doing well. The cakes were horrible and I pulled them out. My pepper has aphids. Not a good year so far. Have to spray with peroxide today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Looks like this weather is gonna finish off the tomatoes too. I have them in pots as I have had them for the past 4 years with no problem, but they are looking like they are on their last legs the past two days. I water them twice a day, but I think even the moisture control soil from Miracle Grow is not able to keep up with the heat and the soil just gets too hot. I will keep my eye on it and see if they can be saved but I doubt it.

Yeah, Tomatoes hate this weather (90s and humid) but they wont die. They just wont set new blossoms. Don't pull them up just yet. Still got more growing season left in them. As long as insects or a disease doesn't get them. The Ortho Garden Disease control is working. I'll have to leave a good review on that.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:43 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
Hey Cambium. I have followed your weather posts for years but did not realize you are a master gardener too. Love the pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden