Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 02:29 PM

566 posts, read 678,011 times

Advertisements

Yes, my backyard has grown naturally since God first created it as I border a nature reserve. As every season comes and goes, it is wonderful to watch the yard take care of itself. Every spring there are many more pretty wild flowers. Old trees and tree branches naturally fall, so I must cut and pick them up, but it is fuel. I can walk on a soft blanket of primeval vegetation, yet I never mow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 02:55 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That is just for the Roundup brand. But just in case, I will be purchasing several gallons.

And lawyers are the only reason - of course.
"This move is being made exclusively to manage litigation risk and not because of any safety concerns," the company said when it announced its decision.

Yes, the company said, lol. What else would they say? Are they going to say they're withdrawing residential sales because people are too stupid to use it right (if there is such a thing) and are poisoning everything?

Old 09-21-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Someone used the term “farmer’s lawn” for a mown area of mixed grasses, clover, and weeds. That’s what we have. It would cost a lot to convert our pasture areas to native grasses because most of it is hardy fescue, Bermuda, and plantains. We mow it to keep the invasive wisteria, ailanthus, ligustrum, nandina, and kudzu from creeping any closer than it has.

Yeah, we have kudzu…

Old 09-21-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Yes, my backyard has grown naturally since God first created it as I border a nature reserve. As every season comes and goes, it is wonderful to watch the yard take care of itself. Every spring there are many more pretty wild flowers. Old trees and tree branches naturally fall, so I must cut and pick them up, but it is fuel. I can walk on a soft blanket of primeval vegetation, yet I never mow it.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:23 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I was shocked the other day when I was reading a thread where someone was complaining about the "weeds" in their grass. Shocked at the advice and what people do to their yards, all in the name of perfect grass. All that poison and stripping and killing!

I embrace all the various types of clover, thyme, selfheal, and so many other things that grow in my yard. I am hoping the thyme will take over the tiny front yard completely eventually. I want a purple yard in front!

In the larger back yard I left little patches unmowed all summer to see what would grow in them. Some grew ground bumble bees, which I discovered when I mowed one patch and they objected lol. But it's amazing what has come up over the season, and still getting some new things. I even have some asters!

I've planned all along to have an aster garden at some point, but two types have come up in one of my wild patches, all on their own!

I keep it mowed because codes would be after me if I didn't, but no one has complained about my little wild patches in back.
Well, no Dandelions because we pick them out in the spring and eat them. No other treatment except using round-up on the very occasional poison ivy plant on our property.

Funny people mentioning property values. If you keep it cut, it will all look green and like "grass" to everyone's eye but the most studied expert in urban botany. When the perfect 100% grass "lawns" around me are brown in the heat of summer, my "yard" is still nice and green.

Which one of us is making the neighborhood look bad again?

Last edited by westsideboy; 09-21-2021 at 04:46 PM..

Old 09-21-2021, 04:01 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Really?

[i][b]PITTSBURGH—As amphibians continue to mysteriously disappear worldwide, a University of Pittsburgh researcher may have found more pieces of the puzzle. Elaborating on his previous research, ....]
As I said, go to the science literature. It's pretty well established that the decline in amphibian numbers, not nearly as severe as those with an agenda would have us believe, has been pretty well established as being due to pathogenic fungi. Not too much glyphosate used in the rain forest....Look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
But would you really expect them to say it is a health hazard?
Interesting study in how corrupt that 9th Court in CA is...The rate of lymphoma in the population is about 1.5 cases per 10,000 people who are not exposed to glyphosate. If you average all the studies on those exposed to the chemical, it still averages the same -- no discernable difference, BUT, of course not every study shows exactly 1.5/10,000....The lawyers for the plaintiff in that famous case was allowed to present only the studies showing a little more than the average, while the defendant was NOT allowed (!!!) to present the full range of studies.

Now that the lawyers have perverted the science, glyphosate will be taken off the market and we'll be forced to use chemicals that are much more dangerous to us and harmful to the environment. Pyrrhic Victory.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:27 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
As I said, go to the science literature. It's pretty well established that the decline in amphibian numbers, not nearly as severe as those with an agenda would have us believe, has been pretty well established as being due to pathogenic fungi. Not too much glyphosate used in the rain forest....Look it up.
If you believe the studies I posted are incorrect and in error, you ought to notify the scientists who conducted them.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:31 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Someone used the term “farmer’s lawn” for a mown area of mixed grasses, clover, and weeds. That’s what we have. It would cost a lot to convert our pasture areas to native grasses because most of it is hardy fescue, Bermuda, and plantains. We mow it to keep the invasive wisteria, ailanthus, ligustrum, nandina, and kudzu from creeping any closer than it has.

Yeah, we have kudzu…
It's good that you're trying to keep the ailanthus down somewhat. As the spotted lanternfly migrates southward from PA (they're in VA now), they seem to prefer to reproduce on ailanthus trees although they can reproduce on many trees and shrubs. We (local master gardeners) have been alerting people to their presence this year because they are terribly invasive and destructive. In fact, 13 southeastern PA counties are currently under quarantine due to this pest. Anyway a gardener can eliminate ailanthus is highly recommended!

Old 09-21-2021, 11:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Those pollinators see in the ultra-violet. The plantain look prettier to them. Your weeds are other's pretty flowers.
That's not quite how it works. Bees and wasps see most of the visible light spectrum that we see with the exception that their perception is shifted so that they see yellow to ultraviolet. For this reason, most red flowers are pollinated by hummingbirds instead of bees.

You sound like you're probably aware of the fascinating "nectar guides" that many flowers have - "runways" we can't see without a UV light that direct bees to floral nectaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CpEV9_JOv8&t=3s

(I'm a retired native be taxonomist.)

Old 09-22-2021, 05:21 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Plenty of people around here let their yards go. Of course its usually to hide the junk and 14 cars on blocks, but they do let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden